Painting a 54mm face with acrylics.

As promised in another thread here's a little step by step on how I paint faces with acrylics. This was done quite quickly this afternoon so obviously better results can be obtained by taking your time but the basics of the method are here.

This is a 54mm resin figure from Tommy's War.

I haven't used any complicated paint mixes just these.....

IMG_6585

Andrea Dark Brown (I've had that one awhile 😀) Andrea Burnt Sienna, Vallejo Model Color Carmine Red, Vallejo Model Color Off White.

Plus one other....

IMG_6590

Navy Blue!!!!

1. The figure was primed with Vallejo Grey Surface Primer.

IMG_6586

2. A wash with very well thinned Burnt Sienna, basically coloured water, allow to dry and repeat as often as necessary. It's important in all the steps to use very thin paint.

IMG_6587

3. Add a little Off White to the Burnt Sienna and highlight the tip and ridge of nose, chin.cheekbones and ears.

IMG_6587

Continued in next post....

• Like 6

When applying the thinned paint dab your brush on a paper towel removing most of the paint. When you put the paint on the model you shouldn't see it making any difference until you've made three of four passes, build up the colour slowly.

4. A thin wash of Carmine Red over the whole face. I then went over certain areas again, inside the ears cheeks, nose and chin, the same places your own face looks redder.

IMG_6588

5. Repeat the Burnt Sienna and highlight steps paying particular attention to where the shades overlap.

IMG_6591

• Like 4

6. With the Navy Blue colour in the whole area of the eye and then with a brush with a good point ( I have used a size 1 throughout) add a dot of our palest flesh nix to the corners of the eyes, it's much easier if the figure is looking to the left or right only one dot per eye will be required. If your left handed like me paint the dot in the figures right eye, (left as you look at it) first. Then turn the figure upside down and do the other one.

Right handers vice versa. 

In the photo I have thinned the Navy Blue and washed it over all the face to demonstrate how effective it is for shadows and a 5 o clock shadow.

The same mix I used for the whites of the eyes was used to paint the teeth. Real whites of eyes and teeth are not white, a common mistake.

IMG_6592

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Thank you for the tutorial Roger, I've no excuses now! 👍

I see a trip to Boyes in my future!

Paul

You're welcome Paul.

Speaking of Boyes, I was in the Boro shop a couple of weeks ago and out of the three nearest me, Boro, Darlo and Northallerton, I'd say the Darlo shop is the most well stocked as far as modelling supplies go. Just thought I'd mention it. 😁

👍!

Boyes in Billingham isn't bad either. York is / was worth a visit as well, last time I was there they had Eduard kits in stock.

Then there's P&S (never on a Wednesday!) just a shame the book shops gone :crying:

• Like 1

@rockpopandchips @Silver Fox

You're welcome, whether you use the same paints as me or one of the acrylic flesh sets you can buy the key is to keep the paint thin, wiping the excess off on some paper towel and building up slowly, you shouldn't see any difference for the first couple of passes. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

@rockpopandchips @Silver Fox

You're welcome, whether you use the same paints as me or one of the acrylic flesh sets you can buy the key is to keep the paint thin, wiping the excess off on some paper towel and building up slowly, you shouldn't see any difference for the first couple of passes. 🙂

What do you use to thin your acrylics? I'm just using tap water when using a brush but Vallejo thinners in the airbrush.

Cheers Brian.

31 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I think I will try and acquire some Tamiya WWI figures to practice on before procuring some Tommys War figures to do...

See what you've done @Roger Newsome?

The better sculpted figure, the better the results. 😈😈😈

Do it, do it. 😈😈😈😈😁

• Haha 1

Roger, just thinking....I know, it's dangerous!

Knowing you do various scale figures, do you use the same

products on all of them, or are the larger ones treated differently?

Paul

10 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Roger, just thinking....I know, it's dangerous!

Knowing you do various scale figures, do you use the same

products on all of them, or are the larger ones treated differently?

Paul

When my wife uses that phrase it makes me shudder, quickly followed by a worry about how much will it likely cost or what will I have to do that I don't want to or where will I have to go that I don't want to. 😀

The technique is exactly the same no matter what scale/size figure. Depending how I'm feeling I'll sometimes throw some oils at it as well. That's something I find is better suited to larger figures. When I come home again in December and if I remember, I'll do another little tutorial to include oils onto an acrylic flesh base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Afternoon Roger,

trust you have successfully regained your land legs? AND the reminder I promised! :wicked:

Paul

Afternoon Paul. Good job you reminded me, I'll see what I have in the stash that'll be suitable.

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Just the thing I need to give me a chance of turning out some figures 

I guess having the right paints help . . . .

Many thanks again

You're welcome. If you have any questions or think I might be able to help just drop me a message or post here and I'll do my best to help you out.

Roger. 

Great advice I took some of your techniques and tried it on the first faces I have ever done very happy with the results sothanks again for the advice. Quick and easy did these five heads in about 2 hours.

20190819_224842-338x450.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Flaps out said:

Great advice I took some of your techniques and tried it on the first faces I have ever done very happy with the results sothanks again for the advice. Quick and easy did these five heads in about 2 hours.

Nice work and I'm pleased I was able to help. 🙂

Roger. 

Edited by Roger Newsome