Barracuda

dov

The Barracuda

Actually, it was the type of RAF a/c, which caught my attention early. No kit was available. At the beginning of my scale modeler’s second life, 25 years ago, the RAF was my focus. When Special Hobby released the High Tech version, so I wanted to build it. My wife got additionally the Mk. V and so a third kit of the early version shifted to me. Three kits I had. The target was the Tirpitz. By some asking, I got in contact with a person in New Zealand, whose father was part of the striking team. Therefore, I got access to operational data and original bomb loads. These models are as authentic as possible.

The build was at this time the absolute maximum of my level and skill. You may see something interesting. These models are not perfect at all.

The entire resin undercarriage was done with steel pins, to get a correct and stable fit.

jPgh4kF.jpg

f0Ghmvc.jpg

ansH5FX.jpg

ansH5FX.jpg

xJ2Ae6K.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 44

Stunning!

Its always nice to test your skills from time to time to see what you can achieve, and the result was fabulous.

One of those aircraft that does not fly as much as it repels the ground! 🙂

Now go and build something nice and simple that fits.  I suggest the Airfix 1/48 Gnat.  You have earned it!

Hello Dov,

My compliments on building this model and the way you photographed it.

It was a joy studying it .

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

A terrific trio.  I really like that you have included the undercarriage locking pins. 

I don't care what anyone says, I think the Barracuda looks great and it was an effective dive bomber.  I think its biggest problem was that it was underpowered.  Wasn't it an American admiral who, when asked to inspect the type, said something like 'very interesting but whatever happened to the aeroplane?' 

11 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Trying to get a Frog one of these finished - hopefully as good as yours.

Not a bad kit if memory serves me right.  I built a NOVO one once.  Just in a bag, no instructions or decals and the plastic a sort of t**d colour.