Blenheim Prototype 1/48 Contrail vac

As most will know Airfix are up to their stash spoiling ways again and are releasing a completely over detailed 1/48 Blenheim 1, at no point did they ask me if that was acceptable, if they had I would have told them straight 'no thank you, I have a perfectly good Contrail one'. So as a snub to Airfix  I'm going to indulge in some proper modelling by building it regardless; it will be detailed but not over detailed with never to be seen again , I know it's there interiors and to make it different it will be the prototype Blenheim 1 K7033 in natural metal finish, a silver shiny Blenheim like this....

45581459672_b3360f2601_c.jpg

45581450122_f62a236a70_c.jpg

Typical Contrail vacform sheets, but I have a Classic Airframes interior resin set, plus replacement wheels and a paintmask- see,  I'm not as stupid as I look.

45581392922_5b5d9b674d_c.jpg

44718264955_c776754bd3_c.jpg

a few reference works to assist.

43814297970_f244c20c03_c.jpg

Like all vac builds nothing will happen for a while why I hack and sand the bits into shape.

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

Nice project - good luck on it! It's hard to believe that sleek aircraft morphed into the Blenheim Mk.V (mind you I rather like the Mk.V because of its clunkiness, not despite it). A bit of devolution, not evolution.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Perfect response to the overactive airfix product development team, that'll show 'em

I’m glad we’re on the same page, don’t even start me on Valom! I build a vac Bombay they release one, I build a H P Sparrow vac they release one... now Airfix are at it too! 🤯

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

How dare Airfix progress with out your permission 😂

looking forwards to your build based based on your past ones, I know it will be a stunner :)

I must admit without grovelling too much I am in awe of your work on the Stirling. Sure i read somewhere a 1/48 injection moulded kit was coming out soon😂

• Haha 1

Ohh! A Blenheim prototype! I’m watching with interest. 

Seeing as you have this ‘influence’ with regards to the Airfix release schedule, you wouldn’t happen to to have a 1/48 Beaufort you could start? 

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 1

Airfix is for those too cowardly to face a vacform head on! (I'm talking of myself only, of course.😨)

I'll be pulling up a bucket of popcorn to sit in as I watch in wonder.

And searching the internet for that Airfix kit...
😅

Edited by Thom216
  • Thanks 1

Ahh... another Contrail vac to be "beaten into submission". I only hope (and it is a small hope, I admit) that your nacelles and fuselage are better than my 'currently languishing' Contrail 48th Tigercat vac. I was almost prompted to email Pratt & Whitney to ask if they ever made an OVAL rotary engine??? 😉

I wish you luck (though I suspect that your experience will over-ride that requirement) and shall watch and enjoy this 'piece of sheet' being transformed into a 'beautiful bird'. 🙂

Kev

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Muddyf said:

Ohh! A Blenheim prototype! I’m watching with interest. 

Seeing as you have this ‘influence’ with regards to the Airfix release schedule, you wouldn’t happen to to have a 1/48 Beaufort you could start? 

Funny you should mention a 1/48 Beaufort, that’s my next in line! Contrail of course.

• Like 2

A bit of cutting out and scraping to get the fuselage shape, looks pretty good but the nose is completely wrong in plan, it's very blunt and square whereas the real thing curves to a sharp ridge.

Options; wait for the Airfix kit? Make a plug and plunge mould a replacement, try altering the shape of the existing...not sure yet, need to mull over the options.

45681669582_c6afb05a12_c.jpg

45006838074_f9bcce4fa7_c.jpg

Might work on the wings for a bit while I decide.

• Like 5

On 10/31/2018 at 5:17 AM, modelman182 said:

Ahh... another Contrail vac to be "beaten into submission". I only hope (and it is a small hope, I admit) that your nacelles and fuselage are better than my 'currently languishing' Contrail 48th Tigercat vac. I was almost prompted to email Pratt & Whitney to ask if they ever made an OVAL rotary engine??? 😉

Kev

I have that one, have you got a build thread? I really must take the plunge and join the proper modelling community

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

I have that one, have you got a build thread? I really must take the plunge and join the proper modelling community

Sorry Neil, no thread on that one yet. When I get back to it I'll start a WIP, but that may be a while yet.

Kev

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Ooh looking forward to this!

And when you get there, don't forget with a 1:48 Beaufort you can nick the wings and tail from a 1:48 Beaufighter!

Regards,

Adrian

And it just so happens i have a Tamiya one in the stash!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While I think about how to resolve the nose I have been building wings using a new method. I am either a genius or lost the plot!

One irritating issue with vacs is building internal wing structures, it's time consuming and frustrating so what if you could fill the void with something that goes off and stiffens the wing...something like builders foam for instance!

As long as there is a way for the excess to escape and you are happy with the profile in the first place it should work.

45827685472_b799f887a0_c.jpg

One builders foam gun and an assembled wing, note the cut out for the landing flaps making a good access point to spray the foam in.

45153162224_f7d35544c4_c.jpg

Allow excess to foam out, leave to set over night and then trim.

45153098084_ea297fd9d4_c.jpg

One foam filled and rigid wing.

I suppose one flaw in this approach is that not everyone has a foam gun!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Just in case you thought I had succumbed to the darkide and given up in favour of the over detailed Airfix kit here's an update!

Spent quite a long time fiddling with the nacelles and just kept the front bit adding new plasticard gills and exhausts from thick strut material (Aeroclub). The engines are Classic airframe spares and a massive improvement on the white metal ones supplied. Here's where I am upto......

46038868624_bce96c6810_c.jpg

46039023024_10cc66ddbd_b.jpg

Looks kind of Blenheim shape. I have also got from the very kind people at Special Hobby a set of nose canopies! Can't thank them enough, what wonderful people.

The fuselage profile has been altered to ensure they fit.

45848922095_b561478a29_c.jpg

31822325067_7b7da8d70e_c.jpg

Now I need some advice on how to remove unwanted glazing bars without trashing the whole canopy. The prototype has a different pattern particularly on the port side, like this..

31822352847_8f4cef94c3_c.jpg

And on the other side like this....

46038909364_e8f0203567_c.jpg

Any suggestions welcome, sand off, scrape off, lots of fine sanding, brasso, toothpaste....help!

• Like 3