Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk I

Hi there!,

Just finished this iconic bird. Except for the landing gear, a very tricky item to assemble, and the fuel tank cover, which required some work, everything else went fine.

IMG_7342_zpsmokfpcfs.jpgIMG_7339_zpsxhkf74tw.jpgIMG_7338_zps4jmsflti.jpgIMG_7336_zpscyhl3bvn.jpgIMG_7334_zpslaeqgi3o.jpgIMG_7333_zpsrrzzetbw.jpgIMG_7332_zpsvxlm6wud.jpgIMG_7331_zpseun5gxfr.jpgIMG_7330_zpsugiwckmz.jpgIMG_7329_zpsmovlbmiw.jpgIMG_7328_zpszuybbml2.jpgIMG_7327_zps1aokoqix.jpgIMG_6228_zpspa8yf7dn.jpgIMG_6227_zpsv7udyqbe.jpgIMG_7337_zpsqaf0e9eo.jpgIMG_7335_zps81oisuig.jpg

Edited by George72
  • Like 39

My understanding is that Mk 1 Spits didn't have any crowbar which I think weren't standard till the Mk V came along in 1941. I think this is a mistake various kit manufacturers make unless I'm talking complete rubbish of course - not unknown. In any case, it's a great model with well comsidered weathering. Well done! Paul

• Like 1

Beautiful model of a beautiful aeroplane. I have this one in my stash, I'll get round to it at some point!

How did you get the thin black lines over the roundels and codes?

Lovely job, not too careworn.

Having made that kit, I can't understand why Airfix designed the undercarriage as they did. It might have been on a Friday afternoon when they came back from the pub.

Pete

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George72 said:

Gingerbob, let me know if you manage to see the pictures.

Yep, now they opened just fine.

Funny thing about those gear- I've played with them a bit, and agree they're... <something offensive>.  But I've been playing with a Special Hobby (nee TwoBobs) 1/48 T-2 Buckeye, and darned if they don't have the same sort of joint, though (I think) they want you to put the gear together right away.  As one review said, they made EVERYTHING in halves!

bob

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Beautiful model of a beautiful aeroplane. I have this one in my stash, I'll get round to it at some point!

How did you get the thin black lines over the roundels and codes?

Thank you! As for the thin lines, after the decals are dry, you just cut them over the panel lines with a very sharp blade. After that,  some more decal setter solution ( I used DecalFix). Seal again with a gloss varnish and use your favorite panel liner afterwards.

• Like 1