Tamiya AS 12 and decals

beetcleaner

Hello

I am building the Airfix 1/72 Sabre and intend to apply Tamiya AS 12 for a natural metal finish. I usually apply a gloss coat to my models prior to decalling to avoid silvering etc then seal them in with another coat before weathering.

I've never used Tamiya AS 12 before so my question is will decals be OK straight onto this paint as its silver and wont show up any silvering if the decals do not settle down properly? Also will I still have the same "give" on this surface as the decals I'm using might need a fair bit of movement before I get them into the proper position. A gloss coat always allow me to do that.

Finally will I need to apply a gloss coat on top of the Tamiya AS 12 after decalling or will this kill the natural metal finish?

Thankyou for any advice

AS-12 gives a nice gloss coat for decals, so no need to gloss if you so wish.

I have glossed over AS-12 using Tamiya X-22 clear and Mr Levelling thinner before and after decaling with no problems to the AS-12, but I tend to use other metallics on top of AS-12 to give a varation to the nmf.

Are you decanting the AS-12 for airbrush use or using straight from the can

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, this thread seems to have got lost

I decant and spray as I find the cans a little too uncontrolable compaired to the airbrush, thin the AS12 with some Mr Levelling thinner if you have any as it's a bit thick straight from the can.