Avro Vulcan B.2, XM657, from GWH in 1/144

This is strange. I managed to finish another kit, without major distractions like starting another in the meantime?

What'll happen next I wonder?

Not buying more kits than I need or can finish within a year? (yeah, right)

Anway, here's the rundown on this little Vulcan:

The plastic is all GWH, with some plastic bits and pieces here and there in the wheel wells and entry ladder. I also added some piping to the undercarriage just to make it look a bit more interesting.

The strange colors comes from a picture of XM657 (found in Wings of Fame) over a desert, probably during a Red Flag exercise in 1980 . It clearly shows a darker green on the fuselage, but not the whole tail , and this was my target to achieve.

I did fail completely with the weathering and lost all interest in it at that time.

Now, I'll call it finished, but maybe I'll come back to it at some later date to make a new approach to make it more lived in and "real" looking.

Over to the picture:  

44700244355_c95264ea01_o.jpg

45563349882_78dc01205d_o.jpg

43796400940_f1ab04dbde_o.jpg

31741735038_4af82fefca_o.jpg

43796400870_6e0dc85458_o.jpg

45563349472_ff4dee7459_o.jpg

45563348712_f3f5a24dec_o.jpg

43796400550_437c832622_o.jpg

43796400260_7b620afcc9_o.jpg

Here's the link to the WIP:

During the recent C4 modelling competition in Malmö, this was was not even rated by the judges, so I guess I did something totally wrong with it.

Critique and pointers in what I can do to make it better is much welcome!

• Like 23

Finished or not, it’s still a great model. Hard to believe it’s 1/144. Great detail and a really nice paint job. Some weathering would probably bring it to the next level but it’s still a fine looking bird. It’s such an interesting aircraft too. A pic with a paint pot or something would be good for comparison with scale... great work once again Christer!

• Thanks 1

Lovely model and shame you didn't get a look in at the competition! I have only two criticisms, if you forced me to criticise ! One you probably can't do much about now: XM657 had Olympus 300-series engines and therefore had the slightly shorter, broader jet pipes (not sure if the kit provides these). The other is - it needs a bit of a dusting! A very fine Vulcan in general though :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately no Olympus 301 are provided, but that might change when Pit-road releases the Blue Steel version in a month or so. It will not help this modell though.

As for the dusty look, well....lets just call it a very unfortunate attempt with weathering pigments.

If and when I return to it I'll wipe it off, add a semi-matt coat instead of semi gloss and add a proper dark grey wash  and a few other muck inducing activities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...