Dueling Fokkers

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello Everyone ... Well my KUTA build(s) for this year are a pair of Fokker D.VII’s from Roden.

3Ig8BVy.jpg

One is about 2/3rds built which i will finish as either a USMC/US.Army war prize from 1923.

peax4HX.png

TfOPpp1.png

Or as Ernst Udet’s Red/White striped Fokker.

FflkkYf.png

The unbuilt Fokker will be done as Bruno Loerzer’s Black & White striped plane from the box art. 

nn5LFPC.png

I have the Aviattic lozenge for the D.VII’s and am looking forward to using them. I will post photo’s of the kits themselves when i get to my office later. 🤞Fingers that all goes well after my recent Roden Albatross debacle. Questions, comments, or jokes. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello all ... Im still pondering schemes for my 2nd Fokker.  But its close to being Udet and Loerzer’s Fokkers. I took a piece of conversation from @Rob G to heart from the chat section.

“As I inderstand it, there aren't any rules as such, except that your entry (entries...) can't be new kits - they have to be ones that have been started and have since languished, unloved. The idea of the GB is simply to kick your donkey so that something gets finished. Or at least dug out and restarted...”

I built the 2nd fokker up before the starting time of this build. That may be considered a form of cheating so i’ll ask @Enzo Matrix for a determination ? If it is i wont build the 2nd Fokker as part of the build ? If its ok then i will proceed with the pair. 

Dennis

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I built the 2nd fokker up before the starting time of this build. That may be considered a form of cheating so i’ll ask @Enzo Matrix for a determination ? If it is i wont build the 2nd Fokker as part of the build ? If its ok then i will proceed with the pair.

You built it up before the start of the build?  That's the very definition of a KUTA GB entry! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all ... Will be starting these two in the next few days. The one will be Loerzer’s B&W striped Fokker. The other is going to Udet’s Red & White striped Fokker. It will compliment Loerzer’s on the display shelf. I have nailed the scheme im going to use.

Roden have you go this route.

CDUWVu3.png

Its close to what i think is correct. I havent been able to confirm the black cowl, so i wont be doing this. I will be going more for this scheme.

uCbRyjO.jpg

However i will be adding the two white stripes on the fuselage between the stabilizers and the cockpit. I have in a sense confirmed there existence. If you look at this photo in between udet’s right arm and chest. You can see what appears as white.

tEuugqE.jpg

I believe that is white as its to bright to be the horizon in the photo ? So thats how she will go. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello all ... So just a new set of photo’s to show where these are at. 

K8JvAhr.jpg

Udet's is the one on the left, Loerzer’s on the Right. 

5NxGogs.jpg

ml1rb7x.jpg

xH5RFBF.jpg

Im almost done with the Focke-Wulf Dora. Finished the decals today. Just needs weathering, flat coat, and some small odds & ends and then there’s this. 

V3Hntf1.jpg

Its an old Monogram ‘69 Mustang i got for free. Just finished foiling it today. I still need to paint some smaller stuff and possibly add some stripes ?

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Pictures not posting ?
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all ... Finally got a chance to work on these today. I sprayed the white that I need for both the stripe color, and base color for the Aviattic Decals.

d2hSTjA.jpg

Will gloss the white where the Decals go tomorrow. Once dry i can mask the white and spray the red & black. Questions, comments, or jokes. 

Dennis

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Andwil said:

Looking good Dennis, you’re a brave man doing two these at once!

AW

Looking good indeed. I'm glad Dennis has decided not to try and use the Roden decals, they are from the Devil's Printers. A nice start and I like the historical photos.

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody ... Well I finally finished the clear coating and masking for these. I will be able to paint and possibly Decal these by the end of the week. Heres the Duo all masked up. Loerzer’s on the left Udet’s on the right. 

jx7ex1w.jpg

Some close-ups, Loerzer’s first.6ZcazW8.jpg

J3GfCCI.jpg

S1PteV4.jpg

5tlmUpJ.jpg

And then Udet’s.

WLxhZkL.jpg

DtOWxsB.jpg

I have to add streamer’s to both of these when they’re finished. Loerzers of his wings, upper or lower ? Udet’s of his horizontal stab’s. I dont know tape or decal for those ? Any ideas ?  

Dennis

• Like 4

Fantastic result Dennis, you have certainly earned your stripes with these 😄

You should have a go at Ulrich Neckel’s all over diagonal striped Fokker!

AW

Edited by Andwil
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 2:15 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have to add streamer’s to both of these when they’re finished. Loerzers of his wings, upper or lower ? Udet’s of his horizontal stab’s. I dont know tape or decal for those ? Any ideas ?  

I think I'd be tempted to go with a bit of white-glue-soaked tissue; nothing beats that realistic 'drape.'

Brilliant work, Dennis! Really enjoying this one. (Er...these two.) :dog:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

Fantastic result Dennis, you have certainly earned your stripes with these 😄

You should have a go at Ulrich Neckels all over diagonal striped Fokker!

AW

Neckel was the optional alternative to Loerzer originally when i went down this path. I changed my mind because two Black & White striped machines would’ve been a bit duplicative. However Neckel, Rudolf Stark’s Mauve striped, and Gotthard Sachsenberg’s Yellow & Black Diamond covered Fokkers will be in my future. 

Dennis

Hello Everyone ... Im sad to say I have to Temporarily suspend all of my builds. I have been informed i must dismantle my office. Then move it to another part of the house. I knew this was going to happen but was expecting Feburary originally. That was in turn changed to January. This morning it became next week. This will take a few weeks as i have to procure storage for the 30+ built kits on display. Dismantle my shelves and pack up my stash. I will then need to move all of it and re-design the layout for my new space. Which is about 1/2 the size. My biggest fear is i will have to dissolve (throw away) my collection of built kits. ☹️I need to contact the local Museum and see if theyre intetested ? I hope to be back at this in time for the Maritime Patrol and Panzer IV builds in December. 

December

• Sad 4

Hello everybody ... A bit of an update. My office is all packed up for the move. I’ve been sitting around bored with no models to work on, so i dug the Two Fokker’s out of there transport box. I decided at 23:30 local time to do the Aviattic decals. Well i can honestly say i am super impressed with these decals. They work like a dream, one hour and forty-five minutes later and i have this to show for it.

WTz0nMn.jpg

0sceT0U.jpg

I just have the end caps on the wings to do tomorrow. They're currently letting the Micro sol cure them, and i don't want to mess them up. I hope they look as good to you as they do to me ? As usual questions, comments, or jokes. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Lovely job! I have to agree about the Aviattic decals, they're great to work with.

A little confused as to being "told to move", but then I don't know your situation. Chin up, it'll work out ok in the end!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Hello Ian @limeypilot .. Thanks for the compliment. The whole situation is connected to my Daughter moving back home. I was originally informed by her that it was to be in February. Then in September that was changed to January. The morning I wrote that post i was informed she is moving in on December 5th. Im not super upset at moving at all. I was more frustrated that she didn't keep me involved/informed of her plans. She changed the timetable/plans and hadn't informed me until that point. A habit which she is well known for sadly. Good news at least on that front. I'm getting all new office furniture out of the deal, a new drafting table and desk lamp, chair, and even an optivisor. As my old furniture (oak desk and dining room chair) wont fit the new space. So that is my Christmas prezzie. 

Dennis

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everybody ... I was finally able to get back to working on these tonight. I probably shouldn't have done so. In my attempt to begin the next stage. I chose to mount the interplane struts out on the wings. Sadly this was a disaster! All Four struts snapped into pieces, some of those pieces were devoured by the carpet monster. So it is with heavy heart i consign these to the drawer of shame. Until i can figure something out for struts. Something that maybe doesn't break the minute i look at them. My second & third failure at bi-planes is making me regret trying them in the first place. Maybe its the scale ? Maybe bigger scales aren't so fragile ?

Dennis