Scratch Built D Type Jaguar in Ebony

This one's in the bag.   

The car is shaped from solid ebony wood and I hope I'll never make that mistake again!   It's a very hard, dense wood that's really difficult to shape and the dust is very unpleasant.   On top of that I chose to make a D Type Jaguar and wish I hadn't ... what  a difficult shape to copy.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm really pleased with the final shape and the finish that ebony takes with shellac then lacquer is just stunning.   As anyone who has looked in on the build will know I decided part way through not to make it a detailed model but opted for a "sculptural" look with NO details.   This was mostly brought on through my own laziness and the difficulty of working the material ... I just wanted it done!    I have intentions to cast urethane copies of the car and paint them in Ecurie Ecosse colours and BRG then mount them on nice plaques.

So, here we go.   Thanks for looking in.

Before I forget I'd like to mention I made a light box for taking pictures today.    Still have to work on the lights and diffusion of  but it has made a huge difference in photographing models ... I even re-shot all my models.    Highly recommend you try one.

Build log here.

Frank

31752306038_26bea20cc4_b.jpg

45573968372_ea0a534267_b.jpg

45624612091_1c2f3d468e_b.jpg

45573988102_b04afb1d50_b.jpg

44900045604_09fdb1ea46_c.jpg

43806925950_98f2c4c14c_c.jpg

A Few Previous Builds   57 Maserati 250F    55 Lancia D50    57 Ferrari Testa Rossa     Ferrari 375 MM    Flying Scotsman A3

• Like 15

On 10/30/2018 at 6:46 AM, harveyb258 said:

Simply stunning, Frank! Well done matey.:clap2:

What do you have planned next?

Cheers, H

Thanks everyone who commented and "liked".   

Not entirely sure what's next Harve but I'll be taking a break from models for 5 or 6 weeks as we leave on a 2 week cruise fairly soon.    I'd like to do a 50's era speedboat built not far from where I live.    They were made by Greavette and called a Streamliner (Google one) ... fabulous lines and all in mahogany.    The other one I'm musing about is a Ferrari (oh no, not another!) from '54.   I saw it at the first race I ever attended when we came to Canada.   As a 16 year old I was blown away to see a genuine Ferrari at this local club meet.   It was a bit unusual back then because it was painted red and black ... red bonnet/trunk and black fenders.    A few months ago it resurfaced after 60 years and took a prize at Pebble Beach and even though it's totally restored the owner kept that original 2-tone paint job (but for some reason left off the white pin striping??).    So, here's the only picture I can show of it as taken by a 16 year old with his trusty Kodak Brownie.

UPDATE!!    I did more digging into the recent Pebble Beach car and it WASN'T this one!!   Different chassis numbers! 😲    I'd assumed that the 2 tone paint job was so unique that it must be the car I saw.   I guess Ferrari had a special on that year ... Buy a Mondial and get a free 2-tone paint job!

Oh well, still high on my list.   Hmmm ... just noticed the spoke arrangement on the front wheel!   How will I make that?

43821957370_a62fbe5e7b_c.jpg

Frank

Edited by albergman
New information about the car
  • Like 3