Revell Phantom FGR2 1/48

IT_Man

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

The decals sure ain't Cartograph.

Thought they were - sheet reference is 04962 - 0240C , recall reading that most Revell decals printed in Italy were either from Cartograph (sheet reference suffix 'C') or another Italian firm whose name escapes me at the moment but it begins with "Z" and (sheet reference suffix 'Z' oddly enough).

• 2 weeks later...

Xtradecal future sheets

- ref. - McDonnell-Douglas Phantom FG.1 / FGR.2

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48199

• Phantom FG.1 XT863/G - 111 Sqn - RAF Leuchars Scotland UK as seen at RAF Greenham Common IAT 1983;
  • Phantom FGR.2 XT906/T - II(AC) Sqn - RAF Laarbruch Germany Mid-1970s;
  • Phantom FGR.2 XV413/Z - 92 Sqn - RAF Wildenrath Germany July 1977;
  • Phantom FGR.2, XT901/J - 17 Sqn - RAF Brüggen Germany 1973.

X48199_1.jpg?t=1545586829

- ref. X48200 - McDonnell-Douglas Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48200

• Phantom FG.1 - XV571/A - 43 Sqn - RAF Leuchars Scotland UK 1989;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV403/403 - 6 Sqn - deployed to RAF Luqa Malta 1969;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV422/J "Jaguar Killer" - 19 Squadron - RAF Decimomannu Sardinia 1989;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV399/P - 29 Sqn - RAF Coningsby UK 9 April 1980;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV485/P - 23 Sqn - RAF Wattisham UK May 1981;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV401/B - 228 OCU 64 Sqn - RAF Wattisham UK 1988.

X48200_1.jpg?t=1545586285

- ref. X48201 - McDonnell-Douglas Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48201

• Phantom FG.1 - XV574/Z - 111 Sqn - RAF Fairford IAT 1986;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV470/C - 56 Sqn - RAF Coningsby UK 1976;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV414/N - 41 Sqn - RAF Coningsby UK 1976;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV418/S - 92 Sqn - RAF Wildenrath Germany 1979;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV401/B - 228 OCU 64 Sqn - RAF Wattisham UK August 1987.

X48201_1.jpg?t=1545587422

- ref. X48202 - McDonnell-Douglas Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48202

• Phantom FGR.2 - XV403/A - 54 Sqn - RAF Coningsby UK 1972;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV466/D/ "Desperation" - 1435 Flight - RAF Mount Pleasant Falkland Islands December 1991;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV421/F "Faith" Crewed by F/O Ian "Mongo" Halden & F/L Chris "CJ" Weightman - 1435 Flight - RAF Mount Pleasant September 1991;
  • Phantom  FGR.2 - XV474/F - RAF Aldergrove Northern Ireland 1978;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV498/U - 92 Sqn - RAF Akrotiri Cyprus 1989;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV464/464 - 14 Sqn - RAF Coningsby UK 1974;
  • Phantom FG.1 - XT865/U - 111 Sqn - RAF Leuchars Scotland July 1980;
  • Phantom FGR.2 - XV499/I - 23 Sqn - RAF Leeming UK 1993.

X48202_1.jpg?t=1545588491

V.P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

CAM Decals did a nice Alcock & Browne set, hopefully that will get reissued.

It's better than nothing but very basic and extremely fragile. the ModelDecal sheet in 1/72 is much more complete, I still think Dick Ward was the best researcher to date. A sheet to modern standards would be very welcome indeed but get the Rolls Royce logos right. Pretty please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

It's better than nothing but very basic and extremely fragile. the ModelDecal sheet in 1/72 is much more complete, I still think Dick Ward was the best researcher to date. A sheet to modern standards would be very welcome indeed but get the Rolls Royce logos right. Pretty please.

I have the CAM set but have heard worrying things about their fragility so was hoping that Xtradecal simply upscale theirs along with their A&AEE 25th anniversary scheme.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

I have the CAM set but have heard worrying things about their fragility so was hoping that Xtradecal simply upscale theirs along with their A&AEE 25th anniversary scheme.

I have it too and have the same thoughts. With the Tornado about to bow out there could be some interest in other RAF machines. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/02/2019 at 15:38, Des said:

Thought they were - sheet reference is 04962 - 0240C , recall reading that most Revell decals printed in Italy were either from Cartograph (sheet reference suffix 'C') or another Italian firm whose name escapes me at the moment but it begins with "Z" and (sheet reference suffix 'Z' oddly enough).

That is correct. The decals in the review sample we have received from Revell are marked as such.  They do look more matt than normal I do have to say.

Julien

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Stephen said:

According to the latest Hannants newsletter this  kit is now being discontinued by Revell.

Noticed that on their email, I assume that means this is the end of the run for this boxing but doesnt mean they wont release another boxing in the future?🤷‍♂️

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Qtebakqsth said:

Does this kit have the wider intakes / engine bays intended for the Rolls Royce Spey, or does it have the normal intakes and rear fuselage made for the J79 with RAF decals?

It's an accurate, if a bit dated, Spey Phantom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Yeah the " better" is the enemy of the "good"

Since we got new moulded Phantoms first from Academy, then Zuksi Mura and finally Tamiya, the Hasegawa kit feels old and void of detail...

Still a great kit though! IMHO ;)

22 hours ago, sniperUK said:

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

Yeah the " better" is the enemy of the "good"

Since we got new moulded Phantoms first from Academy, then Zuksi Mura and finally Tamiya, the Hasegawa kit feels old and void of detail...

Still a great kit though! IMHO ;)

5 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I'm currently building (battling) the Hasegawa Spey Phantom, it looks good once it's bashed into shape, but it's certainly not a modern kit! 

I'm working on one too, I think it's long in the tooth but it's the only game in town.

I have two Revell (Hasegawa mold) kits on my stash.  They are really nice, not Tamiya standard, but good overall.  Maybe you will need some aftermarket for the cockpit and ducts.  Revell decals are really nice.

My two cents...

• Like 1

I have two Revells in the stash and am accumulating necessaries. Apart from Alleycat resin intakes, which are very nice to have, it's essential to replace the MLG wheels with Navy-style ones (either using resin ones or the fat Navy wheels found in the Hasegawa RF-4B box). 

Have Xtradecals and Eduard cockpit zoom sets and I'm currently in the market to get some Hypersonic canopy hood embellishment sets (and new slotted stabilators for the FG.1 conversion, which also needs underwing bridle hooks and a chunkier NLG leg with the extra scissor link). 

With the extra gubbins the Revell re-pop is really a nice model, despite its nearly 35 years old Hasegawa tooling. Planning on building the FG.1/F-4K conversion when the Airfix Buccaneer S.2C comes along later this year. 

Tony

• Like 1