Revell Phantom FGR2 1/48

IT_Man

2 hours ago, ABeck said:

Info on canopies:

The older Revell-boxing contained the separated canopy and the one-piece-canopy as well. I was just confirmed that this feature of the kit will be maintained ! (Hope this really comes true!).

Andreas Beck

My Feb 2005 buy only had the multipart canopy but having the one piece job as well this time would truly be fantastic. 

Tony 

...as would a new set of Navy type MLG wheels. Hasegawa did them in plastic in its later J79 naval boxings but Revell ignored this the first time around.

Have two on pre-order so these are all nice extras which might or might not be included.

Tony 

23 hours ago, ABeck said:

Info on canopies:

The older Revell-boxing contained the separated canopy and the one-piece-canopy as well. I was just confirmed that this feature of the kit will be maintained ! (Hope this really comes true!).

Andreas Beck

Pretty sure that was just certain non-british hasegawa versions

On 1/6/2019 at 1:40 AM, RMP2 said:

Pretty sure that was just certain non-british hasegawa versions

Yes, you're right, I too have the earlier Revell FGR2 [04588] rebox, which only has the multi-piece canopy, as does the most recent Hase FGR1 Treble One boxing [07441].

The more recent 07206/8/9 boxings of the J/E/G F-4s, respectively, all have the single canopy option included.

Be great if Revell included it though :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've lost track, what markings does this kit come with apart from the obvious 56 Sqn marking?.

Edited by Wez
Grammar, punctuation, the English language frankly deserves better!

The new release has 160 parts - anyone know how many the 04588 box claimed?

As stated earlier, still hoping for the Navy style wheels and possibly the periscope (though I'd love a one piece canopy).

Have two on pre-order so hopefully will know quite soon

Tony 

18 hours ago, tony.t said:

Anyone opened the box? Interested to know if there might be new parts (for wheels, canopy etc) which would justify the new kit number and make many of us happy bunnies,

Tony 

Hi Tony,

Go on YouTube and search for Mark Davey as he has done a review yesterday on his channel.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Sidders
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sidders said:

Hi Tony,

Go on YouTube and search for Mark Davey as he has done a review yesterday on his channel.

Cheers,

Mark

Looks to be the vanilla Hasegawa plastic as released by Revell 14-15 years ago; so no periscope, just the multi-part canopy and incorrect USAF/FMS type wheels.

So off to resin city we go...

Tony 

I've opened the box, can confirm the 56, 92 and 2 Sqn schemes in the greys, blue and tactical schemes respectively and the canopy is only the multi part one (which personally I'm happy with).

One thing I've noticed and I like is the decal sheet. It's a long time since I bought a Revell kit, their decals were very matt, quite brittle, had quite prominent carrier film and prone to silvering. These are glossy, with very little carrier film and look well printed - it's a shame I shan't be making any of the kit schemes.

So who makes the correct wheels for this beastie?

• Thanks 2

I bought two sets if Brassin F-4J/S wheels, the MLG ones being critical. Good Year or Dunlop, not bothered. 

There's a bunch of options out there, including Res Kit which look like fun.

Got some Eduard zoom so now heading towards Alleycat for inlets and Hypersonic for canopy chunkiness, over the next couple of months.

Just wished Xtradecal could do an FAA option with "Royal" rather than "Colonial" on it. Sh**, they could have shoved Royal on the supplementary serials sheet without any further expense. Quelle domage.

Tony

I acquired a set of the very nice Res-Kits (RSK-48-0067) wheels, though also have an Aires (AIRE4415) set I bought some while back along with the obligatory piles of resin, PE and decal options.....well prepared for the onslaught! Two Mikes did a wheel set some while back, (TMR48012), not sure if they'll resurface at any point. 

• Thanks 1

It looks good to me. I bit the bullet and ordered two as compared to the insane ebay prices it's good value. I'll do one as grey 56 sqn but without sharkmouth or red fin and one camo - not decided on decals for the camo one though, ideally 23 or 29 sqn I think. 

Looks like a decent kit, I like how you can have the canopy open. Not worried about the wheels being 'wrong' I wouldn't even know if it hadn't been mentioned on here. I'll be building them with everything out and hanging down, nice to have the separate flaps and those fuselage vents.

The decal sheet looks excellent , except one of mine had a black streak across part of it! 

IMG44541549473198.jpg

IMG44551549473200.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

The decal sheet looks excellent , except one of mine had a black streak across part of it! 

IMG44551549473200.jpg

You can ask Revell for a new sheet. Send that photo explaining the issue and you'll get a new decal set in 2 weeks. That is, if you wish to use those five maintenance stencils.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

not worried about the wheels being 'wrong' I wouldn't even know if it hadn't been mentioned on here. I'll be building them with everything out and hanging down, nice to have the separate flaps..

I'm not into aftermarket, but buying the correct wheels will be the one extra expenditure for me, the other type wheels are so different that they will stand out and let down an otherwise superb kit.  The extra outlay is worth it given the price of the Revell kit.

Also, unless the kit has been modified, the flaps aren't separate and they are a pain to pose down correctly.  I've recently done this on a Black Mike build and correctly modifying the main flaps and the leading edge flaps is hard.  There is the Wolfpack flaps set of course, if you want to spend a bit more on the kit.

My two arrived today. One decal sheet is perfect, the other has even worse (much worse) smudged black than Lord Riot's. So that's got the 892 Xtradecal sheet in it now. 

I think I'll get the Royal Navy logo from the Xtradecal Vixen sheet. Maybe the 3° raked beefier NLG leg and extra scissor link can be scratched. Would prefer an Aerocraft brass job - SAC metal is overpriced cast soldering wire.

Great kit and very nicely moulded. 

Tony