Revell Phantom FGR2 1/48

IT_Man

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, tony.t said:

Thanks. Good to know the inlets are still available.

IIRC the Revell boxing had the USAF type wheel hubs, not the Navy style used by Britain (which were supplied in metal with vinyl tyres in the Hasegawa editions) so that needs consideration.

But if true, this Revell boxing could be very handy. 

I've cooled a lot on the diddy Airfix (which is on standby) but another consideration is when and in what scale are we going to get a new tool Buccaneer S.2?  I'm looking for a bit of the Ark, circa 1977-78, and was waiting on the Tan Model - in either scale!

Tony

There are aftermarket wheels available from Royale Resin 

http://www.royaleresin.net/products/productpage/r058.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Available to pre-order on Jumblies, showing mid Feb for delivery.  

I just ordered 3...  I have a problem.

http://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/aviation-kits-c4/revell-1-48-british-phantom-fgr-2-aircraft-model-kit-p14923/s15256

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Never mind you can put another order in for the rest :D

Hopefully someone will do a new set of Alcock & Browne decals for it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAM-1-48-McDonnell-F-4M-Phantom-FGR-2-48081/372230671963?hash=item56aaad4e5b:g:us4AAOSw9Llaj-Rv:rk:2:pf:1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, At Sea said:

Available to pre-order on Jumblies, showing mid Feb for delivery.  

I just ordered 3...  I have a problem.

http://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/aviation-kits-c4/revell-1-48-british-phantom-fgr-2-aircraft-model-kit-p14923/s15256

Whoops! Have pre-ordered a pair. Thanks for posting.

Maybe some Alleycat accessories in the Christmas stocking?! 

Tony 

I'm sure it's probably a coincidence, but  I've noticed 5 or 6 Hasegawa or Revell FGR.2 kits appear on eBay in the last week or so (about four on there right now). It's almost as if people have noticed that they're about to appear for around £25 a piece and without 25 year old decals in the box and have thought that now is a great time to try and sell theirs for around 50 quid before everyone else notices. And then they'll buy about half a dozen new ones and stick them in the attic and wait until they're worth over £50 a pop again. If you were skeptical you'd think that at times this hobby is more about investing and trading than actually gluing things together.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Filler said:

I'm sure it's probably a coincidence, but  I've noticed 5 or 6 Hasegawa or Revell FGR.2 kits appear on eBay in the last week or so (about four on there right now). It's almost as if people have noticed that they're about to appear for around £25 a piece and without 25 year old decals in the box and have thought that now is a great time to try and sell theirs for around 50 quid before everyone else notices. And then they'll buy about half a dozen new ones and stick them in the attic and wait until they're worth over £50 a pop again. If you were skeptical you'd think that at times this hobby is more about investing and trading than actually gluing things together.

The hobby as a whole is most likely not like that, but there sure are modellers who act this way... nothing immoral or illegal of course, even if most wouldn't think of doing so or wouldn't bother

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

Just now, Giorgio N said:

The hobby as a whole is most likely not like that, but there sure are modellers who act this way... nothing immoral or illegal of course, even if most wouldn't think of doing so

That's fair and quite true. I guess almost all of us have at least a few kits in 'stashes' that we bought and maybe months or years later haven't even got close to assembling. I think to a degree it's a kind of vicious circle in that maybe there's a panic as if we don't buy them now, we won't be able to get one later. And thus new kits sell out very quickly and get stuffed in lofts and then only very occasionally appear on an auction site and the demand then leads to a hefty price.

I do occasionally wonder though; if modellers didn't buy dozens of kits that hand on heart they know they'll never build, would we see even a fraction of the kits and even producers that we have? I suppose they'd all go out of business if they only sold what gets built.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Filler said:

I do occasionally wonder though; if modellers didn't buy dozens of kits that hand on heart they know they'll never build, would we see even a fraction of the kits and even producers that we have? I suppose they'd all go out of business if they only sold what gets built.

Would agree with that.     For a number of reasons and other commitments I have not completed a model for about a year now although in that same time have bought over a dozen mainly newly released kits along with with maybe a couple of rarely seen items (to add to the existing stash) on the basis of having them handy if I ever do get round to making them because in the main many manufacturers seem to do a single production run before either changing the moulds for a different variant or setting the kit aside for an indeterminate time before re-release.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 3:38 PM, Filler said:

The problem with this is that these sellers always wait until the last minute to dump the older kits, the revell re-issue was rumoured several months ago - that was the time to start selling really .

• Like 1

I, for one, am happy that Revell are re-releasing this kit and at a sensible price, even before the discount.  I have one of the Hasegawa boxings in the stash that I picked up at a reasonable price.  What this does mean is that there will be plenty of aftermarket and decals available.  That has to be a good thing!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like it could be at a reasonable price compared to the exorbitant prices on ebay. 

Does anyone know what decal options are included? Obviously the 56 sqn sharkmouth on the box art, but any others? Same as the old Revell boxing or do you think it'll be an all new set? 

6 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

It looks like it could be at a reasonable price compared to the exorbitant prices on ebay. 

Does anyone know what decal options are included? Obviously the 56 sqn sharkmouth on the box art, but any others? Same as the old Revell boxing or do you think it'll be an all new set? 

Think it's mentioned earlier in the thread that it's the same decal options as the previous release.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Think it's mentioned earlier in the thread that it's the same decal options as the previous release.

Just noticed that! 

Not too bad, I've wanted a grey 56 sqn one for ages!

Just need to find grey 29 sqn and grey/green 23 sqn decals then. Oh and save up for the kits! 😂

12 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Just noticed that! 

Not too bad, I've wanted a grey 56 sqn one for ages!

Just need to find grey 29 sqn and grey/green 23 sqn decals then. Oh and save up for the kits! 😂

Something in this lot or even here that may tickle your fancy?

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Something in this lot or even here that may tickle your fancy?

Thanks Wez. Some may be helpful if I mix and match. I'm hoping to make these:

IMG43311546359552.jpg

IMG43321546359552.jpg

Doesn't look like there are any 29 sqn ones with the roundel bars though. 😕

Edited by Lord Riot

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Did anyone else get the Revell email announcing their 2019 releases? I got it this morning and I know it's not their complete "that's it, no more" releases but there was no mention of the Phantom.

Jeff 

That is 2nd to 4th Quarter- Phantom is 1st Quarter (in January). More Autumn extra kits normally announced in June (never anything extra at Nuremberg)

• Like 1

Well damp me down, roll me in breadcrumbs and call me Brenda....

After the very real struggle to get these kits at sensible money, I have a sabbatical only to return to find Revell go and do a rotten thing like this!

£22?  Somewhere around what we paid for each of that initial batch isnt it? @At Sea

;)

Leaves me trying to think of an excuse/markings to buy another one if for no other reason than to give two fingers up to the ridiculous prices these and, more so, the Hasegawa boxings have been getting stuck on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 20/11/2018 at 20:08, At Sea said:

Better be careful with these. I read a review where the CAM decals became brittle and did not perform too well. Better give them a clear cote and also scann them before you actually use them. This is what I will do with my set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Info on canopies:

The older Revell-boxing contained the separated canopy and the one-piece-canopy as well. I was just confirmed that this feature of the kit will be maintained ! (Hope this really comes true!).

Andreas Beck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1