Revell Phantom FGR2 1/48

IT_Man

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

As for price I wonder why people haven’t commented (much) on the 50% uplift in price of Revell’s new 1/48th Beaufighter when compared to the Tamiya kit which, although much vaunted, has its own errors and inadequacies (battle-damage patches, scaled-up 1/72th engine’s, inaccurate tailplanes, over-deep lower rear fuselage) about which little comment has been made and this isn’t the only Tamiya kit with errors, e.g. Harrier, Sea Harrier, Mosquito, Buffalo (other manufacturers and errors are available).

For myself, I was not aware of the price issue with the Beaufighter, largely because I have no interest in the kit.

Regarding the Tamiya kit errors, do you not think this is due to an element of Tamiya 'snobbery "? I e , Tamiya is the God of manufacturing and can do no wrong?

Allan

The first Revell boxing of the Hasegawa Phantom sold for 29 Euro, which was not so cheap for Revell standards back then IIRC. Fully agree that the Revell prices have increased a lot. I doubt that a 1:144 Buran would have coast 99 Euro 2 years ago.

Btw.: I decided to keep my Tamiya Beaufighter with aftermarket stuff and not to sell it on because of the Revell Beaufighter price... Maybe I will change when the Revell kit will be on sale, but not for now.

Rant aside it is good to see the Spey Phantom back on EU market at a presumably lower price than the Hasegawa boxings.

• Like 4

Revell has lost the plot, prices went 30% up almost four years ago, that was Hobbico's decision, I do not know where the info regarding FGR.2 stems from but it would be first Hasegawa rebox in 12 years, I would wholeheartedly support cooperation with Hasegawa but have serious doubt about possible pricing.

Recent Academy and Zvezda reboxes are beyond expensive given original brand pricing...

48 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Recent Academy and Zvezda reboxes are beyond expensive given original brand pricing...

Equally, the 1/32 Mirage IIIE is half the price in a Revell box that it is in the Italeri one... and mine was about 1/3 with the Jadlam deal.

best,

M.

• Like 1

1.  The Revell kit only builds an accurate FGR.2.  The sprue for the slotted tail planes and extended nose leg are Hasegawa FG.1 kits only.

2. Having said that if you don't mind it being a 'bit wrong' then a little carving on the FGR.2 tail planes to simulate slots and an extra scissor link fabricated between the nose wheels makes a passable FG.1 (with the extended nose wheel limp) in 1/48.  The cat hooks and recess panels are on the FGR.2 sprue.

3. The Hasegawa moulding is excellent and still builds into a great kit.  The lack of full depth intakes is a shame, but easily corrected accurately with AM resin and inaccurately with plasticard and a little effort.

4. Revell's decals are excellent, and the last Revell Boxing (2 squadron, 92 squadron, 56 squadron) gave enough to build 2 kits so I have used them in preference to Hasegawa's decals on other Phantom's I have built.  I actually seek out Revell FGR.2's rather than Hasegawa ones on eBay for this reason alone.

5. The Hasegawa re-release of the FG.1 was £65.  So any less than that is a win.  Personally I am hoping about the £30 mark given the Revell 1/48 Tornado pricing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It'd be great if this is true and the price is sensible, but a whisper posted on a forum isn't much to go on. I'll not pay this any more mind until I see it on other sites with "Add to Basket" along side it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Filler said:

It'd be great if this is true and the price is sensible, but a whisper posted on a forum isn't much to go on. I'll not pay this any more mind until I see it on other sites with "Add to Basket" along side it.

You used to be fun...

🙂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Filler said:

Well, this IS the rumour after all!😂 . Actually, you are quite correct but, the 1st quarter 2019 isn't so far away and, we'll find out soon enough!.

I'll bite. There's a Hasegawa RF-4B in the loft in a bag and I could swap the stabilators and a few other bits, do some mods of course, to get an RF-4C and F-4K/FG.1 out of the pair.

Come to think of it, the Revell box would be unnecessarily large so the RF-4 parts could fit snugly inside.

Is the Spey seamless resin inlet and compressor face resin AM still out there?

Tony

Alley Cat are still doing their seamless intakes set (he does them for the Academy kits too!).  Be aware though that it's a very one-man operation and the owner is not in the best of health, so delays can occur.  Please give him a bit if time to deal with your order and he'll get it out to you: I've never had a problem when dealing with him.

• Thanks 3

Thanks. Good to know the inlets are still available.

IIRC the Revell boxing had the USAF type wheel hubs, not the Navy style used by Britain (which were supplied in metal with vinyl tyres in the Hasegawa editions) so that needs consideration.

But if true, this Revell boxing could be very handy. 

I've cooled a lot on the diddy Airfix (which is on standby) but another consideration is when and in what scale are we going to get a new tool Buccaneer S.2?  I'm looking for a bit of the Ark, circa 1977-78, and was waiting on the Tan Model - in either scale!

Tony

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Any information on the decal options? Please?

OOOHHHHH!!!!

I'm going to build one of my Hasegawa kits just to make some room! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

I spoke to the Revell guys and it is the same schemes as before as it showed the same box art as before with the 56 squadron aircraft.

Robert

No bad thing, a nice set of High Viz & Low Viz stencils to go with the recently released 1/48 Xtra Decal sets. 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Unfortunately not, but it will retail at £29.99.

WOW! That's a decent price.

12 hours ago, Robert said:

I spoke to the Revell guys and it is the same schemes as before as it showed the same box art as before with the 56 squadron aircraft.

Robert

I'm happy with that.

9 hours ago, At Sea said:

No bad thing, a nice set of High Viz & Low Viz stencils to go with the recently released 1/48 Xtra Decal sets. 👍

My thoughts exactly.

Thank You all for the good news.

As well as the cross-kitting option Hypersonic make slotted and unslotted tailplanes, Scale Aircraft Conversion does white metal FG.1 undercarriage the only stumbling block is the wheels. But it'll be a lot cheaper than the FG.1 kits that have been popping up recently.

• Like 1

Aries make the Naval style wheels with masks.

At £30 a pop I'm in for two of these Revells. Would be nice if the box was the same size as the one used in 2004. 

Didn't know about the Hypersonic stabilators - thanks 👍 

Now to find 892 NAS decals without Colonial and other carp - just want vanilla 1977-78 schemes, with extras like crew names and embellishments that don't doctor the core decor.

Anyone taking advance orders? 

Tony 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tony.t said:

Aries make the Naval style wheels with masks.

Thank You I didn't know about those. I assume it's THESE? Was totally unaware FG.1 and FGR.2 had same wheels but I'm not too clever.:christmas: Also forgot that there are no Sidewinders in the kit :( but not too hard to find replacements. :)