Revell Phantom FGR2 1/48

IT_Man

59 minutes ago, Ka-Efka said:

Should then be a decent FGR2, or am I missing something? 

As stated previously, this is the Hasegawa kit repackaged. Quality is excellent, even by today's standards. My only real gripe is the almost total lack of ordnance. You get the gun, three fuel tanks and the Sparrow missiles. Anything else & you need to dip into the spares box or spend extra on accessories. That said, it will probably be a lot cheaper than any hypothetical Airfix equivalent so, I'd buy the Revell kit in preference anyway!

Allan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having started two of these (one Hasegawa Hi-Tech and one Revell rebox), waiting for paint since two years :-( My major issue is the lack of jet intakes. The time the Hasegawa kit was released no kit producer cared for these. There is aftermarket resin stuff available. As the intakes are quite large it makes sense to either block them with FOD guards or to invest in the intakes. I bought mine from A2Zee and they are very very good.

But maybe this is anoithe example of Murphys law anyway and the "big" Airfix announcement in Telford will be a 1:48 Spey Phantom. In that case I would not bother with the Hasegawa tooling anymore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Whispers that this one is coming back in the Revell First Quarter 2019 - maybe cashing in before Airfix upscale to 1/48?

That is good news. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I already have a flight of the Hasegawa Spey engined Phantoms so will wait for the Zoukei Mura one as I don't have enough filler to fill the trenches in an upscaled Airfix Phantom.

Duncan B

That's what I don't get, most people rave about the new Airfix kits but no one seems to mind the trenches that spoil what are otherwise very nice kits

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, colin said:

That's what I don't get, most people rave about the new Airfix kits but no one seems to mind the trenches that spoil what are otherwise very nice kits

Because they are all Matchbox nostalgic ! The Airfix new Phantom is just a non finished product thrown in a haste in the public !, just like the Fury.

Quality control does not exist by Airfix !

Madcop

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, madcop said:

Because they are all Matchbox nostalgic ! The Airfix new Phantom is just a non finished product thrown in a haste in the public !, just like the Fury.

Quality control does not exist by Airfix !

Madcop

Hmm I should read some build report on these I guess. First time that I read about the fit issues in this thread. In this regards the Hasegawa/Revell kit is very nice, and certainly a very good kit and still the mark to meet for any new tool. But it will not be impossible to make it obsolete by a new tool Phantom.

I took a look at the reviews of the airfix 1/72 F4K and decided that it would be easier to build the old Fujimi kits I have in the stash. If they scale up up this design to 1/48 it will not be better than the Revell/Hasegawa kit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

That's an exaggeration, Airfix's panel lines are far from the trenches of old. Sure it would be good to get them a little finer, but unless they start spending a lot more on tooling I guess that isn't going to happen, but I can live with what we have now. What I'm not keen on is the Airfix QC - short shots, cold shuts etc, it's a bit of a lottery getting a properly molded kit.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Having started two of these (one Hasegawa Hi-Tech and one Revell rebox), waiting for paint since two years 😞 My major issue is the lack of jet intakes. The time the Hasegawa kit was released no kit producer cared for these. There is aftermarket resin stuff available. As the intakes are quite large it makes sense to either block them with FOD guards or to invest in the intakes. I bought mine from A2Zee and they are very very good.

But maybe this is anoithe example of Murphys law anyway and the "big" Airfix announcement in Telford will be a 1:48 Spey Phantom. In that case I would not bother with the Hasegawa tooling anymore.

You pays your money, you takes your choice I guess!:lol:. Making a set of FOD guards out of plastic sheet/strip etc isn't hard & that's what I did! However, as I said earlier, I'd expect the Revell reissue to be a lot cheaper than a brand new Airfix kit (probably on a par with their existing 1/48 jets?) and that will be the deciding factor in my case (assuming the rumour is true!). I can live with the lack of ordnance in the Hasegawa/Revell kit!

Allan

Whilst it appears that this is straying off the Revell rumour and into airfix sycophancy, I will add that the Hasegawa model (reboxed by Revell) is a fine model indeed - neat sharp panel detail and pretty decent outline. If airfix do decide to enlarge their 1/72 kit, based on their current moulding quality, it won't be a patch on the nearly 30 year old Hasegawa model. It will be covered in trenches but many will praise that whilst condemning the likes of HobbyBoss, Kinetic and other companies who cover their kits in finer panel detailing.

Anyway, no doubt if Revell do release the kit again it will be accompanied by one of their very decent decal sheets. Time will tell. 

• Like 4

I have done several "large" Airfix kits in the last couple years, namely the Gloster Javelin & Agusta Westlund Merlin and both I think are great models (not perfect but still great kits). But both were rather expensive compared with what you normally get from Revell so this rumor is very welcome.  

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

But what if you want the intakes open ...

Not my problem!. If I did want them open, then I would simply do what I suspect most folk did and just build the kit as is.Not that difficult really. Some modellers have already indicated a preference for the 80s vintage Fujimi kits over the new Airfix kits. Fair enough. Their choice. The Fujimi kits also lack any form of intake trunking etc. Does not seem to be any issue with that? 

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

IF Airfix were to tool (or have tooled) for a 1/48th Phantom it would not be a direct scaling-up of the 1/72th kit.  The design of many components will rely on data obtained from research for the smaller-scale kit but greater detail and finessse can be incorporated into each component and additional components can be introduced to further enhance the appearance of the finished model.  I don’t understand why people are bad-mouthing a product that they haven’t seen, and which may not even exist and tarring pretty much anything produced by that manufacturer with the same brush.  No-one’s forcing you to buy this kit IF it ever appears so maybe just stick with your preferred 30-odd year-old Hasegawa/Revell kit with its known deficiencies (e.g. main intakes, wheels, tailplane scuff-plates) and the rest of us can make an informed decision IF an Airfix Spey Phantom ever appears.

As for price I wonder why people haven’t commented (much) on the 50% uplift in price of Revell’s new 1/48th Beaufighter when compared to the Tamiya kit which, although much vaunted, has its own errors and inadequacies (battle-damage patches, scaled-up 1/72th engines, inaccurate tailplanes, over-deep lower rear fuselage) about which little comment has been made and this isn’t the only Tamiya kit with errors, e.g. Harrier, Sea Harrier, Mosquito, Buffalo (other manufacturers and errors are available).

Edited by stever219
Correcting incorrect auto-correct “corrections”!
  • Like 3

If Revell do reissue the Hase kit I'll get a couple, built one for a friend years ago without any instructions sheet (I think everything went where it was supposed to go!) but it just falls together. Lovely kit except for the lack of Sidewinders and the steps inside the intakes.

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I haven't had a look at my Revell release of the Hasegawa kit for quite some time, but did it include the Navy nose leg and wing hooks too or just the "land based" features?

The one I did had some of the Navy parts including the nose gear leg and door but I don't think everything was there. I seem to remember the main wheels were white metal with rubber tyres in the full Navy kit?

Paul Harrison

• Like 1