Sword FJ-2 Fury 1/72

hsr

This is my 1/72 Sword FJ-2 Fury. This is a nice kit and it only took 9 days to complete, start to finish. The only fit issue was the upper wing to fuselage seam which had a large gap. The only other issue was rather thick wing trailing edges which I tried to thin down with limited success. The decals were very thin and showed no silvering (of course, how could I tell on a silver model  :)) with the film totally disappearing, but they had no body, one review called then squishy, and had a tendency to suddenly decide to stick where they were and hold on like glue. This was especially true for the decals that were mostly lettering. This lead to some distortion and only 2 of the No Steps survived I spent a lot of time on getting a good finish for the Alclad aluminum and I think it came out pretty good this time. So on to the pictures.

Y2Ye024V_o.jpg

5ZYmL1IY_o.jpg

zjc2umN7_o.jpg

UNgeCCS8_o.jpg

rQTPIq0h_o.jpg

aM7rYsA9_o.jpg

This time the interior was remarkably free of dust, but I am not sure what is going on with the front. Transparencies are always my bane. 

AYGtyqY0_o.jpg

Next up is the Skale Wings AD-5W Skyraider. Enjoy.

• Like 17

Nice result. What do you use to fix canopies to your models? I use Johnson’s Klear - it is very low risk. No danger of fogging like superglue and no risk of getting smears which can happen with some of the glues developed for sticking canopies. 

• Thanks 1

I have been using liquid plastic glue, which probably caused the problem in this case. I have not had good results with Micro Kristol Klear (white glue) or superglue. I have never thought of Klear as a glue, but I will try it.

Thanks

I use PT56 canopy glue, which is easy to apply and cleans up nicely. It dries to a good strength, too. Never use superglued not transparencies. As mentioned, Kristal Klear also works. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I use PT56 canopy glue, which is easy to apply and cleans up nicely. It dries to a good strength, too. Never use superglued not transparencies. As mentioned, Kristal Klear also works. 

I have used Kristal Klear, but it drys to slowly for me. I'll try PT56. I have been happy with other Pacer products.

Thanks

Ah yes, it will be slower but then I work at a galacial speed ;) so it works for me. Being water soluable it is easy to use.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful FJ-2 Fury :thumbsup: ... I think @72modeler would like this one as well. 

Whew! Just now saw this post- been pulling Hurricane kits and aftermarket bits ( @Troy Smithwill be proud of me!) for my coming out of retirement model, so haven't been trolling the forums. Yes- it's a nice FJ-2! Still checking daily for the Caracal Fury sheets- will give all a heads-up when they are released.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

Still checking daily for the Caracal Fury sheets- will give all a heads-up when they are released.

The kit decals are nice, but very hard to work with.

Thanks