TAMIYA- Sturmgeschutz III Ausf G - StuH 42 (Sturmhaubitze 42, Sd.Kfz 142/2) -Panzer Lehr 1944

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Yep, I got Panzer III Aus M and a Stug III Aus C/D To choose between. 🤔 Trying to copy picture of stug from Bovington, see if it works.

IMG_0178

Isn’t that the Finish model having those tree trunks for additional armour 

you our should have the Famo as a new super project for the New Year. I think if I got one it would probably take me a year along with aN AFV on the back...🤓

5 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Isn’t that the Finish model having those tree trunks for additional armour 

you our should have the Famo as a new super project for the New Year. I think if I got one it would probably take me a year along with aN AFV on the back...🤓

Well if it is the Finnish model its not finished that well, no pre shading or dry brushing at all. :whistle:

As for the Famo + trailer, I have so many things on the go at the moment I do not want to start another big project.  I downloaded the stug picture but I cannot seem to download any more from flickr. :banghead:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

IMG_0190

Possible finger trouble, any hoo here is a picture of the stug from the rear.

Nice detail of the waffle pattern Zim......also it confirms my thoughts the grills are flush to the vent.....glad I moved them....

Edited by Redcoat2966

Hi gang....interim update......satin coat applied.

The jack and a very light dusting over the decals (to soften them) is all that's left, then she's ready for her "wash". All the tools are dry fitted at present and will fit after the wash stage. 

dQCG87e.jpg

aIbjh5b.jpg

Kkv5FP2.jpg

NTs0lql.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, Soeren said:

It is a beauty again. Maybe you can do one kit with less chipping, just for comparison ? The tone variation and shadow effects look great.

Thanks Soeren

Yeah, I'm keeping this one as though only a few weeks on the front....mostly my efforts on weathering will be dust and a new mud product I picked up. The chipping will be kept subtle as I did with the Cromwell Centaur I also have on the go.....just around hatches etc.

Simon.

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to TAMIYA- Sturmgeschutz III Ausf G - StuH 42 (Sturmhaubitze 42, Sd.Kfz 142/2) -Panzer Lehr 1944
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:31 AM, Kris B said:

Have you move any further? 

Hi Kris.....sorry for the delay in responding....I've been on my back in bed all over Christmas, really sick with a bad, bad cold. I haven't been able to be out of bed much.

Hopefully back to the forum after New year.

But as regards the Stug....no mate, put it on hold until after the group build on the Panzer IV, which also has been on hold for Christmas until New Year.

Hope you had a good Holidays mate....

Regards

Simon.

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Kris.....sorry for the delay in responding....I've been on my back in bed all over Christmas, really sick with a bad, bad cold. I haven't been able to be out of bed much.

But as regards the Stug....no mate, put it on hold until after the group build on the Panzer IV, which also has been on hold for Christmas until New Year.

Regards

Simon.

It is a pity to read that. Hope for your recovery to get updates ASAP. Speaking of PzIV, there is a promising multi media kit coming out by Border.

• Thanks 1

On 27/12/2018 at 19:56, Redcoat2966 said:

Regards

Simon.

Hi Simon, 

I know exactly what you talking about. From Boxing Day I've got a high temperature and some kind of bug as my tonsils are orange size. Doctors said is virus, so paracetamol and hope that soon get better. So we like Brothers in ill. 

Hope you get well soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 27/12/2018 at 19:56, Redcoat2966 said:

Regards

Simon.

Sorry to hear that you and Kri have the dreaded lurgi, always a problem at this time of year.  Hope you both feel better soon. :hungover:

Regards

Bob

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Hamden said:

This is looking stunning, nice to see it back on the bench

Roger

Cheers Roger 

skipping between projects at the moment. Came cross this one and took the plunge and got on with it🤓

Once I get the wash on, it’ll pull it all together. I have a bunch of stowage to get underway too. Try and get that done next......if I don’t get distracted by another project languishing around here 😬

thanks again

Simon

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

IMHO, single colour cammo's can look great if they are given the right treatment, as you have here. Nice one Simon.

John.

Hi John, cheers for that mate.......although I have to admit I was pondering on a feint camo' on her....but held off the urge....:think:

Here's where she stands (no camo'.....:wait: ) Got a filter on her. I used an AK for NATO tanks. Thinned slightly. Warmed up dark yellow nicely....... Then some panel lining with a touch of the NATO filter again. Didn't want an abrupt difference in colour. Finally some pigments here and there for shadow and some odd rust lines from well used lug's and shackle mounts. Gave it a quick, very W&N mat varnish (50/50 with alcohol). I'm switch away fora bit, just to contemplate and practice with a VMS mud system I picked up. Need to get the hang of it, before I take the plunge and put in on this one......:worry:

So, here we go. 

Jz643Cq.jpg

Front shot. Decided to go with a red primer muzzle break to go with the new barrel.

n2NWlCh.jpg

MW8cTHn.jpg

Picked myself up some of that Mr Metal Color in Iron. Polish's up really nice for the rear Idler and the sprocket teeth on the main drive. The light marks on the exhaust deflectors will be lost when te mud goes on. Going to go quite a muddy look for this one......

J9FSU7a.jpg

Top view with some spare track in the rack. Used up some of the spares from the Friul's. 

LskblR7.jpg

Catch you all later....now going to see which one get's a little attention other than the Stug.......:smirk:

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 10

Hi Soeren, how are you.....and thanks :yes:

I believe it's a lock/clip of some sort after they had screwed on the muzzle break.It's a very, very small separate PE part on the fret that comes with the locking rings.

Cheers

Simon.

14 hours ago, Soeren said:

Ah , I see.  And it is meant to be placed on the barrel on the howitzer? All other guns I know have it on the brake itself.

Ah well.......one mistake aint bad...:think:...my eyes aren't as good as they use to be :nerdy:, I didn't notice it until I'd primed............might change it if I can be bothered.

Nice build.  I converted a 1/16 Panzer into a Stug, which is how I know that this one must have been built in May 1943 - just before the smoke grenades were deleted and zimmerit started to be applied! Mines exactly the same build.

• Thanks 1