TAMIYA- Sturmgeschutz III Ausf G - StuH 42 (Sturmhaubitze 42, Sd.Kfz 142/2) -Panzer Lehr 1944

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Simon

You cannot go wrong with Fruil tracks, well perhaps I can. I had a light bulb moment when assembling some Fruil tracks for a Panther, to secure the link pin to the track link instead of super glue I would use a dot of solder. Bottom line, the white metal track link melts at a lower temperature than solder:surprised:back to super glue gel.

The Dragon DS tracks were their answer to replacing vinyl tracks. Magic tracks are the hard plastic individual track links, and are very good, however some modelers complained they took too long to assemble so Dragon came up with DS plastic, a form of vinyl plastic but it would work with ordinary model glue. I came across these in a Dragon Panzer IV H, they supplied the magic tracks and these new DS tracks, hence they were spare to try on an old Tamiya kit, they fitted great, left the kit in a storage box until I got around to painting them but they had become brittle and just shattered, the last time I bought a Dragon tank the magic tracks are not supplied anymore just these DS tracks, and I do not know if I take them out of their bag if they to will become brittle and shatter.:banghead:

Bob

Well Bob...glad I know about them now., thanks......... I haven't as of yet had these in a kit.....as I have to date done mostly Tamiya; but glad you told me about them and to steer clear. I think though I will always use aftermarket tracks of some form - Friul, Magic, Easy etc. I have a mountain of Tamiya tracks building up in a box in under my bench....😁

As regards the fixing of the pins on Friuls....I use Gorilla Super Glue Gel....BUT after I have blackened them. If glued before, the glue seals the track and you end up with bright spots of un-blackened track....:bangin:....made that mistake once..... I leave long lengths of pin and trim after blackening. A new product I'm trying is an alkyd binder and course pigment to do some mud effects on this Stug....so that should be fun....I HOPE:whistle:

Simon.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

A lot of people have had problems with them once they're painted, as certain paints attack the plastic. So far, I've been lucky with them. Maybe it's because I prime them with Halfords grey primer. Perhaps that seals them and protects them.

John.

Hi John.

I have had a quick look on tinternet, the DS stands for Dragon Styrene. It is their super duper material for flexible molding, in some kits they produced jackets and boots etc before they made tracks from it. They were well molded with good detail but the problems arose, I recall sherman tank tracks were too long and if they got squashed in the box you could not repair them. As mine were unpainted it could not be a reaction, others have blamed enamel or lacquer paints and recommend only acrylic. Others just recommend putting them in the bin.

Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Back home again and catching up on the builds. As usual, that's looking very good Simon. I like anything based on a "lll". As Bob said, the DS tracks have proved a right royal PITA for some people as it seems that they don't take to aging very well. A lot of people have had problems with them once they're painted, as certain paints attack the plastic. So far, I've been lucky with them. Maybe it's because I prime them with Halfords grey primer. Perhaps that seals them and protects them.

John.

Hi John......As I said to Bob, something I think I'll steer clear of.......and welcome back after your travels.......

thanks for the thumbs up..:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi John.

I have had a quick look on tinternet, the DS stands for Dragon Styrene. It is their super duper material for flexible molding, in some kits they produced jackets and boots etc before they made tracks from it. They were well molded with good detail but the problems arose, I recall sherman tank tracks were too long and if they got squashed in the box you could not repair them. As mine were unpainted it could not be a reaction, others have blamed enamel or lacquer paints and recommend only acrylic. Others just recommend putting them in the bin.

Bob

I think bin mate.......I get enough frustrating problems along the way on a build without inflicting crumbling tracks on myself......:worry:

6 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I think bin mate.......I get enough frustrating problems along the way on a build without inflicting crumbling tracks on myself......:worry:

Hi John

Yeah that was my thought, I haven't used them since.

Bob

16 hours ago, Soeren said:

Ds tracks I have only used once yet. But all the recent kits have them. But the China imports have magic tracks as well. I wonder if this is a domestic thing or a new trend.

Perhaps it depends on the age of the kit, but in my case it's going to be the age of the modeller, the voice in my head says buy no more tank kits until I have reduced my stash.........this time I mean it.........honest.....:whistle:

18 hours ago, Soeren said:

Ds tracks I have only used once yet. But all the recent kits have them. But the China imports have magic tracks as well. I wonder if this is a domestic thing or a new trend.

I think after market or Magic if supplies by Dragon.......

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Perhaps it depends on the age of the kit, but in my case it's going to be the age of the modeller, the voice in my head says buy no more tank kits until I have reduced my stash.........this time I mean it.........honest.....:whistle:

Same here Bob.......I’m sticking with my stash on hand. I’m only buying after market specific to the kits I have. Only reason to buy any more kits is a price I can’t refuse😉

Simon

Hiya gang.....got all my chores out of the way this morning and have a couple of hours to press on....here's where she stands at present. Been bogged down with tool's etc and painting wheels. Managed to spray template divisional symbol (Panzer Lehr Division Normandy '44)and national markings. Have to say, when ever in the future possible, I'll try and spray mask all markings. Still have some tactical markings to get on...then a couple of coats of matt/satin mix clear coat.

3QB2OhX.jpg

ORp2Kua.jpg

JVhK1eT.jpg

wiHcQGW.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I think after market or Magic if supplies by Dragon.......

Same here Bob.......I’m sticking with my stash on hand. I’m only buying after market specific to the kits I have. Only reason to buy any more kits is a price I can’t refuse😉

Simon

I haven't yet build all the 4 ammo of mig black Friday 2017 kits and there is the 2018 offering with great offerings again . What to do?

2 hours ago, Soeren said:

I haven't yet build all the 4 ammo of mig black Friday 2017 kits and there is the 2018 offering with great offerings again . What to do?

I know the feeling Soeren......would really like to get a Meng or Takom Panther’s with internal detail......I’ve see some go as low as £35......one of those is the only thing I’ll consider getting at present.

Simon 

Edited by Redcoat2966

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

But he did it last year, he does it this year and he will most likely be doing it 2019 as well.

Exactly, I have bought things at bargain prices but I doubt if they will ever get built and there are always new kits coming out. I always wanted the Scammell tank transporter, but as I have Tamiya's dragon wagon (built) and the famo + trailer (not built) can I justify 3 tank transporters.:surprised:

Those markings look perfect. I was thinking of spraying the markings, but it need some time and precision in positioning. There is no place for mistake. Instead of this  I am trimming the cross right to the edges so there is no clear film visible. 

21 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Exactly, I have bought things at bargain prices but I doubt if they will ever get built and there are always new kits coming out. I always wanted the Scammell tank transporter, but as I have Tamiya's dragon wagon (built) and the famo + trailer (not built) can I justify 3 tank transporters.:surprised:

I always wanted to get the Famo with trailer.......not a cheap kit though☹️. I’d have my teeth into that one Bob in no time. Problem is......god knows where I’d display it....big beast when done.

Maybe I’ll take the plunge one day and get a big enough display cabinet for it😁

Simon

6 hours ago, Kris B said:

Those markings look perfect. I was thinking of spraying the markings, but it need some time and precision in positioning. There is no place for mistake. Instead of this  I am trimming the cross right to the edges so there is no clear film visible. 

Thanks Kris....I found once in position, 5 to 6 very thin coats that dry quickly maintains a crisper edge. I haven’t try’d trimming a decal yet. I have to do the tactical markings as decals so might give that a go

4 hours ago, Soeren said:

Getting  back on track. Just do ds tracks if you have them.

Nah, not for me mate.....taking no chances. If ever I do end up with a set I’ll do a test and let you know if they crumble. As mentioned, maybe only acrylic is the only paint to use

Simon

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I always wanted to get the Famo with trailer.......not a cheap kit though☹️. I’d have my teeth into that one Bob in no time. Problem is......god knows where I’d display it....big beast when done.

Maybe I’ll take the plunge one day and get a big enough display cabinet for it😁

Simon

Hi Simon

I'll keep you in mind if I have an attack of the sensibles, that or a good clearout of the stash.  I got it on evil bay for about £60 a few years ago.  Another of those mafia deals, an offer you cannot refuse! 😈

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Simon

I'll keep you in mind if I have an attack of the sensibles, that or a good clearout of the stash.  I got it on evil bay for about £60 a few years ago.  Another of those mafia deals, an offer you cannot refuse! 😈

Wow........That was steal Bob......I’ve seen them for nearly double that......but then I’d have to go and add a Panzer III or IV on the back.......😳

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

What kits are you talking about for 60 sterling quid?

The Tamiya Famo half track and tank transporter trailer, as usual with German stuff its a alfa-numeric, no cool name like The Dragon Wagon. 

14 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Wow........That was steal Bob......I’ve seen them for nearly double that......but then I’d have to go and add a Panzer III or IV on the back.......😳

Yep, I got Panzer III Aus M and a Stug III Aus C/D To choose between. 🤔 Trying to copy picture of stug from Bovington, see if it works.

IMG_0178

Edited by Retired Bob
trying to add photo.
  • Like 2