TAMIYA- Sturmgeschutz III Ausf G - StuH 42 (Sturmhaubitze 42, Sd.Kfz 142/2) -Panzer Lehr 1944

Hi Bob

Yeah, I might still give it a go and do some Zim from scratch....but curious on the Atak....I should see if there's any reviews online of it before I open it up one day to apply.

I'm yet to get round to a Sherman..and yes, a popular build.....there's another on the list.....:coolio:

As regards my stash.,...I just actually worked it out....based on an average of 8 months a build....I'm looking at 8.6 years....:worry:,.......each one with full PE upgrade.....sometime question my sanity.....:hypnotised:.......

Simon.

Hi Simon

One thing that I have learnt, do not try and work out how long it will take to build your stash, when I left the RAF and I was not going to be posted to some far flung corner of the UK I went crazy buying everything I took a fancy to, kits, resin and etched, aircraft and armour. I then spent ages putting shelves in the garage to stack it all, then a big shed so I had somewhere to build and spray .  Of course the wife thinks I'm completely mad, sitting there applying zimmerit or making tracks from individual links, and of course there is always new stuff coming out. Ah well everyone needs a hobby, but do I really need 16 shermans..🤔

Bob.

• Haha 1

Hi Francis, how are you......yeah, never done a Stug' before. Using it as a filler before the Panzer IV GB.

I did have images of a full Eduard PE set plus Shurtzen originally. I've decided to hold off using these actual set's on this Stug' and save them for another Stug in the future as a long barrelled 75mm version.

I think I'll use the PE as a guide and scratch build the storage rack for the rear, and maybe even the Schutzen brackets; now I can see the dimensions etc.

I'm enjoying it so far, although the Aber set on this one has some issues. Some overly complicated construction; but not bad. I'll post pics tomorrow on progress.

Cheers

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Morning all......nearly the weekend.....:yahoo:

Well, not much progress really on this one.......got bogged down somewhat on the tool clamps and PE in general. The barrel arrived yesterday, so dry fitted that for now as are all the PE until painted and fitted towards the end - like fire extinguisher, tools etc.

Disappointed here and there with this Aber set. Overly complicated on the jack block and extinguisher.....especially when compared to the PE from a Polish company call PART that just arrived for my GB on the Panzer IV. It looks to have some simplicity there without effecting the end result. I had to switch to Griffon tools clamps in the end, as these particular ones that Aber had in their PE were just impossible..and of the early type (so wrong anyway)...anyway....here she is for now.

XmlUfzZ.jpg

gxBGV47.jpg

D4hTzQQ.jpg

• Like 9

Pretty cool Simon  and good pictures as always. I am sure I will try the Voyager kit for my Jagdpanther as it has most parts that I need. Although there is the Italian company Royal, that also has some resin parts inside. Going to follow this one.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 12:48 PM, Retired Bob said:

Looking very nice, are those the Aber intake grills, at least they look good.

Bob

Hiya Bob, how are you mate.

Thanks for 👍, and yes; Aber.

Not a bad set, and Aber usually for me have been consistently “just” right. Not to over engineered etc. But this set over did things here and there. 

I decided to to hold off merging the Eduard and Aber set on this particular Stug and get another next year maybe. Keep this one just Aber.

As regards the Aber intakes......they aren’t bad. But the aesthetics are beats them a little as they are two piece, giving more definition to the frame. 

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Hi Simon

They are two part in the etched set of the Dragon sturmhaubitze as well, plus I have some Elephant etch, thats Elephant the manufacturer, not the Elephant panzerjager, 😖

I am plodding though type 48 M4 individual track links for my M4A1....oh the joy!

Afternoon all....:coolio:....finally got the time to sit down and post some progress on this Stug. So bit of a long post with everything in one go to date........... Slowly made some progress up to base coat prior to final tonal shading etc. Here's the final with all PE I decided in the end to commit to this one. I intend to get another Stug. Ausf G Tamiya and build the long barrelled version that the kit offers and utilise all the remaining PE I have on that one including the Schurtzen.

dsxHulU.jpg

VWRStrt.jpg

sfJRpG6.jpg

Now, pre-shading after priming with a mix of 25% black and 75% grey Ultimate Primer and then for the pre-shading - 90% Tamiya white and 10% Tamiya XF-60 as I wanted to portray the much lighter Dunkel Gelb of the late war period. Don't know why it changed to this. Maybe pigments were getting short.

6Zympfj.jpg

LbSIZU3.jpg

And the base coat of Tamiya 90% XF-60 and 10% white.....thinned with 3x Tamiya thinner. Applied 4 very thin coats to maintain some visibility of the pre-shading. Just awaiting to additional XF-60 with a dash of brown/black for the more accentuated shadow areas.

wjWrrJO.jpg

ivBN0PO.jpg

8U4Grvn.jpg

Catch you all soon.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 11

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really looks great in colour!

Roger

13 hours ago, Soeren said:

Looking very nice.

13 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice shading. 

Thanks chaps.....:yes:.....been slow going on this one....lots of sitting and staring at it...:think:....lots of distractions of life and loosing my momentum on a few of the projects on the bench...

I might hold off for a bit and build up the energy for the GB on the Panzer IV coming in December.....have to try and get that one done in 3 months...:whistle:that'll mean shaving off 5 months on a regular build time.....:bangin:

Thanks again

Simon.

Hi Simon

Looking very good, what tracks are you using when you get to that point? I do not know if you have had the same experience with Dragon's DS tracks, they look nice, but I've had a set just shatter on me, I had fitted them unpainted onto a Tamiya L70 lang just to see if they fit, left them on and when I went to paint them they just shattered!. I have read of similar problems on IPMS USA site.

Bob

• Thanks 1

You are a really evil person Why on the Lords green earth would you do this?Now I am the mood to do some armor........😁😁😁😁

Smashing job on the old lady mate!

Regards:

Shaun

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

It looks really good, those details of PEs are very good, and the modulation of the model is also very well achieved, coming along nicely ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon 👍

Cheers Francis........battling with mask's for the markings at present....:swear:.....they look better, but not easy to do. 

20 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Simon

Looking very good, what tracks are you using when you get to that point? I do not know if you have had the same experience with Dragon's DS tracks, they look nice, but I've had a set just shatter on me, I had fitted them unpainted onto a Tamiya L70 lang just to see if they fit, left them on and when I went to paint them they just shattered!. I have read of similar problems on IPMS USA site.

Bob

Thanks Bob........I picked up a couple of sets of Friul PIII/IV off Ebay so going with one of them. The Dragon DS tracks, would those be also Magic Tracks. If not, I'm not sure what DS tracks are.....and from what you say; not something I'll give a go at...:coolio:. I'll look them up today and take a look.

19 hours ago, Soeren said:

That is some flimsy brass. Got my Voyager set yesterday. We will see. Yours looks exceptional. 

Hi Soeren, thanks mate:yes:......one thing I forgot to do was take a photocopy of the PE set to use as a template to scratch build more sets of the rear rack..:bangin:..won't forget next time....Interested in what you think of the Voyager set Soeren.......as I mentioned previously, the jack block and fire extinguisher were over done in this Aber set, which was unusual for them......the PART PE set from Poland looks like they have thought about this a bit better and have one piece for both items for my Panzer IV GB.....looking forward to getting into build that PE set.

19 hours ago, Blaubar said:

Always enjoyable seeing such a superbly built StuG :) such a beautiful tank.

Thanks Blaubar, appreciate you taking a look and the thumbs up.....:yes:

14 hours ago, the South African said:

You are a really evil person Why on the Lords green earth would you do this?Now I am the mood to do some armor........😁😁😁😁

Smashing job on the old lady mate!

Regards:

Shaun

Sorry Shaun......:whistle:...it's my first Stug, and certainly not the last...fancy doing the early versions used in the 1940 campaigns.....appreciate your positive review so far......thanks again mate....:yes:

Cheers all

Simon.

40 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Bob........I picked up a couple of sets of Friul PIII/IV off Ebay so going with one of them. The Dragon DS tracks, would those be also Magic Tracks. If not, I'm not sure what DS tracks are.....and from what you say; not something I'll give a go at...:coolio:. I'll look them up today and take a look.

Simon.

Hi Simon

You cannot go wrong with Fruil tracks, well perhaps I can. I had a light bulb moment when assembling some Fruil tracks for a Panther, to secure the link pin to the track link instead of super glue I would use a dot of solder. Bottom line, the white metal track link melts at a lower temperature than solder:surprised:back to super glue gel.

The Dragon DS tracks were their answer to replacing vinyl tracks. Magic tracks are the hard plastic individual track links, and are very good, however some modelers complained they took too long to assemble so Dragon came up with DS plastic, a form of vinyl plastic but it would work with ordinary model glue. I came across these in a Dragon Panzer IV H, they supplied the magic tracks and these new DS tracks, hence they were spare to try on an old Tamiya kit, they fitted great, left the kit in a storage box until I got around to painting them but they had become brittle and just shattered, the last time I bought a Dragon tank the magic tracks are not supplied anymore just these DS tracks, and I do not know if I take them out of their bag if they to will become brittle and shatter.:banghead:

Bob

Back home again and catching up on the builds. As usual, that's looking very good Simon. I like anything based on a "lll". As Bob said, the DS tracks have proved a right royal PITA for some people as it seems that they don't take to aging very well. A lot of people have had problems with them once they're painted, as certain paints attack the plastic. So far, I've been lucky with them. Maybe it's because I prime them with Halfords grey primer. Perhaps that seals them and protects them.

John.