TAMIYA- Sturmgeschutz III Ausf G - StuH 42 (Sturmhaubitze 42, Sd.Kfz 142/2) -Panzer Lehr 1944

Afternoon all.......while waiting for the group build in December I found myself eyeing my Sturmgeschutz sitting there all lonely.....:whistle:, and decided to set up to use it as interim gap filler when fed up with ongoing projects. My Centaur awaits mud and dust treatment, along with a T34/76.....:worry:.......and  well, not into mud at present.

So I ordered all the PE and barrel and they should be landing over the coming week or so....burnt through my budget until the end of the year...:swear:, ah well....:think:

Well, here's whats on it's way

Tamiya - Sturmgeschütz III Ausf.G(Sd.Kfz.142/1) Frühe version - Nr. 35197 - 1:35

Aber -Sd.Kfz.142/1 Sturmgeschutz III Ausf.G (Early) Nr. 35022

Jordi Rubio - 105mm StuH 42 L/28 SD.KFZ 142/2 STURMHAUBITZE 42 AUSF G BARREL #35B43

EyhUbJk.jpg?1

9h5c8ha.jpg

wIb500u.jpg

I'll post maybe Wednesday where the build stands. I'm having to develop a build lag and build plan for this one, so that's where my time will be spent apart from part cleaning and prepping. Chat soon....:yes:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Normally, anything German doesn't spark my interest.....except if it has a lll in it. In which case, I'll be following. (I would anyway).

John.

Hiya John, glad as always to have along...........:yahoo:.Looking forward to doing this, as it's not open top...😁 The only other upgrade I have to decide on is tracks....either a set of Friul Ost Ketten I picked up for a song....or I think Masterclub workable, well I think they're Masterclub as they are the separate pin type........

Anyway off to work on the build plan......

Simon.

• Like 1

Not sure that Ost Ketten would fit. Early tanks has a 38 cm tracks then later they used 40 cm. There may be difference on drive sprocket. Better check. 

I am sitting next to John. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Kris....the Ausf G was the last version of the Stug in 43/4, so I imagine they should fit....but either way, I'm thinking I'll save them for the Dragon"Hornise" I have in the stash........I'll go for the Modelkasten's/Masterclub I have in the store room......glad to have you along on this one.....

I think it's going to be a long build with the PE and some items I'm planning.....:think:

Simon.

Hi Soeren, been wanting to do Stug for years....backbone of the German tank arm in the East.

And yeah, dropped a few pennies on the upgrades. But I'll probably have plenty left over for a few Panzer III's and Stugs for the future. I'm also going to see if I can make the vast majority of the stowage with epoxy clay and wood for the packing boxes, etc.........so a long term project I think...:think:

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

That's true Soeren about Dragon, but you can't never beat PE clamps on tools, stowage racks, etc,etc..I still get PE for Dragon kit's, as it does enhance the already super sharp detail they have

...the Schurtzen though is a good example. The Tamiya kit comes with them, but the thickness is nearly triple what it should be. The only reason I got the Eduard set above is for the stowage rack at the rear. I have pretty much all the other parts - smoke launchers, grills and clamps etc....but as I said, there'll be plenty more Panzer III's in the future......:)

.......plus I love the challenge of build and application of PE.......:worry:

For sure Simon. I will behold and observe this magnificent kit to evolve. I might find the need to do some PE as well to get the odd Jagdpanther live. There are ABER and Voyager kits avalable. How would you rate the two for 1/35th scale PE?

For me, out of the two Aber is better for many reasons........I have, and have still some full set Voyager upgrade set's, and have just picked up the Dragon kit for one, and hesitant in what has to come as it's an 8 wheeled armoured car with Pak 40 :worry:.....The trouble for me overall with Voyager is over complicated folding, questionable super micro detail(where a glue dot is bigger than the part) and PE features that in some case's, aren't even seen.

This was the case with my Zugkraftwagen, as Voyager provided the included PE set for AFV Club. They provided all parts for the cab interior, for a kit that the doors were moulded solid with the side panels of the cab - no opening feature.....didn't make sense to me, and they should have looked at other features on the exterior to have on the fret.

As regards folding....for me Voyager follows far too much to the actual item in AFV, but detrimental to the modeller and anyones ability to fold it. The ammo tacks in the Sturer Emil is one good example.....in some way's virtually impossible to fold, with major issue's including having to break them up and glue together later during installation.

My preference in order is

1. Aber - (Especially their German tool clamps:))
  2. Eduard
  3. Voyager

I have just bought a new brand called - PART - made in Poland, for the future group build on the Panzer IV. I'll Have to see how they pan out, as they got some great reviews. From their instruction sheet it looks promising. So Voyager may drop again in the listing to 4th......:think:

Hope this helps.

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Simon

I just had a look on the part site, never heard of them before but I am sure I will give them a go, I agree for tool clamps, protector guards and grills etched items are the only way, just not etched zimmerit, I bought the eduard set for the Dragon elephant, just does not work.

Bob

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Simon

I just had a look on the part site, never heard of them before but I am sure I will give them a go, I agree for tool clamps, protector guards and grills etched items are the only way, just not etched zimmerit, I bought the eduard set for the Dragon elephant, just does not work.

Bob

Hi Bob, yeah seems an interesting company. I’ll let you know how it works out in the build thread. 

As regards PE Zimmerite. I always had a feeling it would have been a tough one to work with. I just picked up a Wirblewind by Dragon and Atak Zim. My first time with an appliqué Zim component.....😬I can only imagine easier as it’s resin and can be carved around features if necessary. 

I also picked up the Dragon Elephant for a good price. Not sure if the Zim comes with it also. If not and the Atak set works out, I’ll pick one up for it to.

Edited by Redcoat2966

Hi Simon

I have the Dragon Wirblewind with and without the molded on zimmerite, just like their Panzer IVH, with and without, it shows a lot more finesse than on the King Tigers especially when they coated everywhere then you have to chisel it off for the exhaust covers and tool clamps. I bought my Ferdinand and Elephant when they first came out, then they brought out the Elephant with the zimmerite added, I will just have to resort to using filler. I have not tried any of the resin or decal based zimmerite so I cannot comment

Bob

Hi Bob, good morning

I picked up this one...actually I found out off a fellow member on here, via Ebay.

Sd.Kfz. 161/4 2cm Flakpanzer IV "Wirbelwind"

Dragon - Nr. 6540

Wirbelwind Zimmerit ~Dragon~

Atak Model - Nr. 35048

It'll be some time before I get into it. But looking forward to seeing how this appliqué Zim works. The "Elephant" I got doesn't have the Zim' on already...it's the 

Sd.Kfz. 184 Elefant

Dragon - Nr. 6311 Premium Edition.

So, I'll keep my eye's open for the Zim' set.......I remember many, many years ago when I was a kid trying to do Zim' application with Milliput.........tough time:worry:. So I hope the appliqué's work well. Unless I practice on an old hulk and see how it turns out..

Simon.

At least at 1/16 scale ATAK Zimmer is amazing. At 30th I tried Eduard and Tamiya on Tigers. Honestly, the edged stuff is not bad. Didn't like the Tamiya stickers too much. Still have one set of Academy stickers in the Fehrmann kit.

Hi Soeren, morning.

I'm picking up the 4 kits tomorrow, so will have a look at this Atak Zim, and let you know my thoughts at first glance.......I think I have enough in the kit stash now for at least 5 years of building......:worry:, well, at the rate of speed I take anyway.......:think:

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966

Speaking of stash. Yes. Plenty for the next years and enough interesting kits still on the list as "would like to haves"

Please post picture of the whirlwind with Zimmerit.  I think dragon molded on Zimmer is quite good. 

Edited by Soeren

Hi 

Late to the discussion, I have seen some good zimmerit done with milliput, I use some filler I was given by a friend when I was stationed in Germany, not sure what its called or it's proper use but it is great for zimmerit.  On the subject of stashes, with aircraft and AFV's mine will take about 100 years give or take a decade, I am just finishing off a Tasca M4A1 Sherman, it's probably been done to death out there as it's the famous "battling bitch", using the Archer decals, adding the cullin device and other changes from out of the box. Must get to insert photos so I can get some sympathy.  Last big job before final painting and weathering is the track building, with the end plates  M3 and M4 tracks must be the worst.