Landing Ship Medium

beefy66

while waiting for the splashes to harden up fully I have been scrubbing and cleaning the Shapeways figures looks like the IPA has removed all of the wax residue after about 5 lots of wash scrub and rinse just to make sure

All 15 primed and ready for paint

IMG-5824.jpg

beefy

• Like 8

Small update splashes are now added to base when the silicone had dried I added some cotton wool fixed with Vallejo Still water after a couple of days drying I then added flat white by dry brushing

Then made the base of the splash using the above mentioned cotton wool to form the base circle and left to dry again

IMG-5827.jpg

IMG-5828.jpg

Just the figures to go now

beefy

• Like 9

Small update going from the blue man group to the nearly painted crew

IMG-5829.jpg

IMG-5830.jpg

will add a brown was over the faces and then that should be it done

beefy

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Looking good, how would you rate those figures?

Kev

Hi kev First time I have used 3D printed and they take some cleaning up they are a bit on the brittle side so Not what I would class as top notch for the price you pay

Plus my figure painting is not the best in this scale or any other come to think of it  :hypnotised:

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well calling this done figures added couple of shots for now will add more when I can get some better daytime shots for the RFI section

But for now thanks for looking in

beefy

IMG-5831.jpg

IMG-5832.jpg

IMG-5833.jpg

IMG-5834.jpg

• Like 12

Mate the figures are the icing on the cake. You've done a great job with the size they are. Bring it down tonight for a proper look! :partytime:

Your last two builds will have a massive discussion/talking point/questions at this coming year's show season - well done :thumbsup:

Brian

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, beefy66 said:

Hi kev First time I have used 3D printed and they take some cleaning up they are a bit on the brittle side so Not what I would class as top notch for the price you pay

Plus my figure painting is not the best in this scale or any other come to think of it  :hypnotised:

beefy

You've done a great job with them!

I share you view about some 3D figures.  They ought to be significantly better than "conventional" figures.  There are two parts to the process, it's a question of how the figures are designed and how they're manufactured.  If they're computer designed (as those are), there is likely to be stock figure that's animated to the pose.  So facial features will be the same, the size of figures will be the same. Irrespective in my view insufficient time is spend on sculpting the figures and a consequence is that arms and legs can be banana like as creasing is not created on clothing (basically insufficient time is spent on the job).  However the main issue is the quality of the printing/manufacture.  A comparison is Reedoak figures (http://reedoak.com/) which in my view are the best available (but still not perfect) - real life figures are scanned and they produce good quality prints.  

There's also an issue in smaller scales because elements need to be accentuated otherwise detailing will just get lost.

Al 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1