Landing Ship Medium

beefy66

From experience, give the figures a very good wash before any paint goes on them.  I'm in the process of painting some 1/144 and 1/72 RN figures from Shapeways - mine have had a rinse but there's still dust in nooks and crannys which only became apparent after I had undercoated them.

I'll be watching with interest!

Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

From experience, give the figures a very good wash before any paint goes on them.  I'm in the process of painting some 1/144 and 1/72 RN figures from Shapeways - mine have had a rinse but there's still dust in nooks and crannys which only became apparent after I had undercoated them.

I'll be watching with interest!

Al

Thanks for the tip Al

I will be leaving them a day or two on the window sill to get a bit of UV rays as Jamie has suggested as well  :idea:

beefy

• Like 1

Hi Beefy

It seems you have almost built this in the time I was taking a break. It looks very good in the green camouflage. 

I have been looking for some figures so thanks for the heads up for Shapeways. I found some N gauge railway figures but £2 each!

Colin 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Beefy

It seems you have almost built this in the time I was taking a break. It looks very good in the green camouflage. 

I have been looking for some figures so thanks for the heads up for Shapeways. I found some N gauge railway figures but £2 each!

Colin 

Hi Colin the shapeways figures are not that cheap at £20 for 15 of the little fellas but I will not have to do any alterations to them so that will make this a quick build :whistle: hopefully 

beefy 

• Like 1

I just checked out the Shapeways site. They have some excellent stuff but yes very expensive. 

I searched for ages to get some 1/48 navy figures for my sopwith pup and here they are! 

Colin 

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

You need to be careful using N gauge railway figures because depending on the manufacturer (and country of origin) the scale can vary between 1/148 and 1/168. Continental "N" are always likely to be a little undersized, however you wouldn't notice the difference with British "N" at 1/148.

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK so starting to get back to normal (if you can call this hobby normal) after the Christmas/wife's birthday/sons birthday and New year celebrations :doh:

Slowly building up the water on the base not happy with the beach effect so will be adding some mig pigments as my fine sand looks like boulders in this scale trying to get the right color for the pacific Islands water needs to be lighter I think  :hmmm:

IMG-5794.jpg

IMG-5795.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL  🎆:party:

beefy

• Like 11

On 1/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, KAYELL said:

Class water effects

Cheers

Keith

On 1/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, robgizlu said:

Looks Great Beefy.  That sounds like quite a lot of Celebrating!!

I Think the water colour looks just right.

Happy New year

Rob

Cheers lads yes it does get a bit blurry around the holiday season in the beefy household but getting back into it now with a couple of days still to go before back to work next week

Set the ship in place and started adding the wake white bits around the hull and on the wave crests covered the beach area in MIG pigment light sand colour dust and placed the armour near enough I think

IMG-5801.jpg

IMG-5802.jpg

IMG-5803.jpg

IMG-5804.jpg

beefy

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looks great Beefy.

Stuart

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job Beefy.

Thanks lads

Ozzy I notice you have a LCVP on the bench I did a pacific one a few years ago will be adding some explosion splashes like this to this build

Picture_0185.jpg

beefy

• Like 6

small update started to uncage the little fellas these have been washed and rinsed twice will now try and get the rest of the white residue from them with a brushing and scrubbing of IPA

IMG-5805.jpg

beefy

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Beefy - Have you found the IPA useful  - I'm currently soaking mine in white spirit for 5 minutes then scrubbing with Fairey Liquid.

IPA better?

Rob

Hi Rob not quite sure just yet I have washed in Fairy Liquid and then IPA will do this a couple of times until I think it is all off there does seem to be quite a coating on the pices but trying not to scrub to hard so as not to break any

will let you know when cleaning completed fully I hope.  :hmmm:

beefy

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:29, Martian Hale said:

This is looking very effective, though the captain needs to look out for that dodgy looking u-boat!

Martian 👽

Sorry Beefy, I neglected to mention not to tell the U-boat captain your name, lest you end up on his "list". :oops:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Sorry Beefy, I neglected to mention not to tell the U-boat captain your name, lest you end up on his "list". :oops:

Martian 👽

20 hours ago, longshanks said:

Looking forward to seeing how the figures turn out . . . .

Don't tell him your name Pike :rofl2:

Kev

That's alright you two captain Mannering already knows my name is Stupid Boy and I am already on the naughty list  :wicked:

Small update

Silicone splashes to simulate shell fire

Cotton Buds using the paper tube type not the plastic ones cut to a little oversize and leave the cotton on the top end

Cover in silicone using the translucent type from any DIY store

IMG-5818.jpg

IMG-5819.jpg

IMG-5820.jpg

Candy Floss anyone  

Dry out the silicone until the surface starts to skin over

Then with cocktail stick sweep upover to sculpt the shape required

IMG-5821.jpg

When dry you can the add flat white enamel dry brushed over the highlights

IMG-5822.jpg

leave to dry out full or you can add more silicone and sculpt more shape to what you want

beefy

• Like 8
  • Haha 1