Landing Ship Medium

beefy66

While I,am slowly working on HMS Eskimo in between giving my eyes a rest I have started on this fun build it will be OOB (Honest) after fighting all the little brass bits this is a bit of stress relief

I had planned on doing this for the Pacific at war GB but it did not quite fit into the right criteria for the areas stated in the South East Asia campaigns so going to build it anyway where it fits with all floaty things

I was inspired to get this kit a few years ago at SMW after following a great build by Gremlin 56 (RIP my friend) so will be trying to get some where near the top quality job he managed to pull off I will also be putting it in a small diorama trying to copy from the box art

IMG-4792.jpg

IMG-5594.jpg

IMG-5644.jpg

the colour scheme I will be doing

IMG-5643.jpg

And the cargo M4 Sherman's M8 Greyhound and Duce and a haff 3 of each

IMG-5646.jpg

beefy

• Like 17

On 10/28/2018 at 10:11 PM, longshanks said:

Nice one Keith

Julian will be chuffed

Kev

Cheers Kev hoping for some divine intervention if he where to look in on this one

On 10/29/2018 at 10:37 AM, robgizlu said:

Looking forward to this Beefy

Rob

On 10/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Room for one at the back?

Cheers Rob and Crisp always try to keep you all entertained  :whistle:

Well under way now been adding more of the deck fittings and bridge and a bit of a play around with the position of the cargo

Been looking at the kit deck railings and wire thread they look very fragile and the thread just looks well not right especially with my fat thumbs  :hmmm:

IMG-5651.jpg

IMG-5652.jpg

IMG-5653.jpg

IMG-5654.jpg

IMG-5655.jpg

beefy

• Like 12

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

hoping for some divine intervention

If that fails you've always got BM

Re rigging handrails. Have you thought of wire? Standard house flex normally gives individual threads of around 0.17mm = 25mm @ 1/144. A quick tug between two pairs of pliers straightens it out nicely. A final tweak roll it under a ruler on a flat surface. HTH

Keep up the good work. Julian either resides in Gateshead or you're a darn good modeller (Eskimo a prime example)

Kev

• Like 2

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

If that fails you've always got BM

Re rigging handrails. Have you thought of wire? Standard house flex normally gives individual threads of around 0.17mm = 25mm @ 1/144. A quick tug between two pairs of pliers straightens it out nicely. A final tweak roll it under a ruler on a flat surface. HTH

Keep up the good work. Julian either resides in Gateshead or you're a darn good modeller (Eskimo a prime example)

Kev

Thanks kev will have to give that a try with the wire  :idea:

It is because of the people on BM so willing to share their skills such as you Dan, John, Rob, Crisp and many others that I know I can improve with every model I do it is so much more than trying to read from a book although that is good to  :book:

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Very nice work! :clap2:

That looks like a great kit. Its nice they provided the vehicles too! 

It is a great kit and has a lot to it for the money you can get them for only missing some figures will have to look out for them at the local model shop

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Coming along great and looking very busy :yes:

Stuart

Yes Stuart busy but not overbearing with small details should be a quick fun build ( famous last words)

Cheers  beefy

• Like 3

18 hours ago, beefy66 said:

It is a great kit and has a lot to it for the money you can get them for only missing some figures will have to look out for them... 

Ahem...1/144 scale RN figures should be available before Christmas (but of no particular help if you're doing a US landing ship)

Al

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

Ahem...1/144 scale RN figures should be available before Christmas (but of no particular help if you're doing a US landing ship)

Al

20 minutes ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

I'm planning to drop in on Saturday morning, but not attending as a trader.  I decided some time ago that I'm not trader material.  Martin of Coastal Craft will be there with (hopefully) a full range.

Al

Excellent news!!!

For Future builds of Flower Class Corvettes in 1/144B):clap2:

Rob

• Like 3

On 11/4/2018 at 1:30 PM, longshanks said:

or not with a hundred plus figures …. 😉

only a hand full if that i want this to be quick so I can get onto other stalled builds so that it does not look so lonely at the back of the model bench

On 11/4/2018 at 4:01 PM, Al Gunthwaite said:

I'm planning to drop in on Saturday morning, but not attending as a trader.  I decided some time ago that I'm not trader material.  Martin of Coastal Craft will be there with (hopefully) a full range.

unfortunately I will not be at SMW this year at another event with 1 to 1 scale vehicles just to look not to buy so will have a look at there web site for crewing up Buttercup next year  :book:

On 11/4/2018 at 4:24 PM, robgizlu said:

Excellent news!!!

For Future builds of Flower Class Corvettes in 1/144B):clap2:

Should help with some builds lined up for after the new year

On 11/4/2018 at 8:52 PM, Martian Hale said:

Interesting; I'm in!

Martian 👽

glad you could join in Martian but please no cricket match only exploding water plumes and maybe some palm trees and a Pina Colada or two  🍹 on this diorama and it will not be as big as this one

IMG-1012.jpg

any how small update more guns made in a slightly bigger scale this time

IMG-5658.jpg

IMG-5659.jpg

beefy

• Like 12

16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

glad you could join in Martian but please no cricket match only exploding water plumes and maybe some palm trees and a Pina Colada or two  🍹 on this diorama .

Fair enough, in this theatre a baseball game would be more appropriate. Did I see room on that vehicle deck for a haunebu or two?

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Nice job the 20mms have come up really nicely

Rob

Cheers Rob

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Going great Beefy. Will be interesting to see how you paint this beast.

Stuart

basicly green with shades of more green and a little black  :whistle:  Oh and a bit of hull red

12 hours ago, longshanks said:

When you say not as big. . . . .:whistle:

Where / what is that diorama?

Nice detail on the 20mm's

Kev

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Good point Kev.

Stuart

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Fair enough, in this theatre a baseball game would be more appropriate. Did I see room on that vehicle deck for a haunebu or two?

Helpful of Mars 👽

Not in this build but I have a couple for another build maybe next year in a what-if diorama  🤔

4 hours ago, pdsvidioman said:

This looks good already, mind if I take a peek for a bit. And where was that diorama . Paul

OK so that diorama is on display in the cargo hold of the Jeremiah O'Brien took a look around one fine afternoon back in 2012 the big fella in blue T shirt is my mate BEEKAY also on BM he is building this ship but I think he might be a bit shy showing his work

so here are a couple more from the hold i think it is 1/72 scale

IMG-1013.jpg

IMG-1014.jpg

IMG-1015.jpg

IMG-1020.jpg

and some one to one scale for reference

IMG-1019.jpg

IMG-1021.jpg

IMG-1024.jpg

now that's what I call holiday snaps

beefy

• Like 6