Monte Carlo Mini Cooper - Done!

Hi All,

Finally. I'm calling this one done.

I managed, after some considerable time just sitting in the 'to complete' pile, to finish this at the weekend.

The build wasn't without its problems. Like the fitting of the wheels was a bit of a nightmare. They kept falling off! In fact one fell off this morning!

I finally finished all the little bits, like the roof-rack and mud-guards and so on. I was trying to think of the best way to attach these to the car. I considered CA glue, but I didn't have any and I don't like CA glue very much. I seem to stick the thing to myself rather than the intended destination... :(

So anyway, here it is.

y4muruzW5iCanaA3wcGZmq6JrmEjEbbXK4H4vmFi

y4m2fcRHLJowOf58aN_WAxP8jz6wQBlzPR6wrrew

The 'Monte Carlo' plate is a lot wonky. The problem was I used Mr Setter setting solution, and by Jove, did it set it! It wouldn't budge. So I gave up and left it where it sat!

y4mtHuANEEqzq1c8FjwYvxZHhja2YO1K2qozOtBT

It's even more obvious here!

y4mnsYXHtFG85SSs8XzeqC8dearIPLkIKTgOwiTR

y4mYTW5LN_EdtNiBm-Zre166XFr6XxLwFmdaa3r2

y4mqouDUWCsbxEoff224XO4lK557NKxanrckYCuT

On the whole, I am pleased with the outcome. Another one to add to the car park.

Sorry about the background. I need to set up a proper photography set up, but don't really have any to put it.

Thanks for looking, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Grammar!
  • Like 19

I think you'll find that those Monte Carlo rally plates were riveted on.

To my mind it looks as if Rauno Aaltonen's spirited Scandinavian driving style has caused the right hand rivet to pop out 😉

• Like 3

To me it just looked like someone has zapped a sticker on the car, I just assumed it was supposed to be ‘jaunty’. 

To me it’s not a problem- don’t mention it and few will see a problem. 👍

Got to love a mini!

• Like 2

The plates in those day were metal, but I don't know how they were attached. But I'd also bet at some point in the rally a rivet or screw might pop out & leave a wonky plate...!! And wheels falling off a Mini - nothing new there!

Nice little Min, looks the part! Like the shine you've got on the paint, much more in period for a Monte Mini than a miles deep 2K clearcoated finish!

Keith

Hi All,

That's it then. A rivet popped out due to spirited driving.

I'll live with that.

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R

12 hours ago, dgraham said:

I like what you’ve done there, what’s the scale?

The scale is 1/24. I do like the scale as you can get a reasonable amount of detail, and it doesn't take up too much space (especially the Mini!)

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1

I've got one of these on my bench at the moment, it's mostly assembled and in primer. It'll be interesting to see how mine comes out compared to yours.

What paint did you use for the bodyshell, Alan? I'm going with Tamiya's own Red X7.

Hi Chrissy,

I used Halfords's car paint on this one. I can't quite remember as it was a long time (about 4 years) ago that I painted it. I think that it was some kind of Rover red.

Cheers, Alan.

• 4 weeks later...