1/72 Japanese Fire ladder truck

In a rush of spontaneity my nearest & dearest decided to add to my stash by purchasing an Aoshima fire engine......to 1/72 scale which makes it just 5.5” long! Now this isn’t something I’d normally go for, especially at this small scale, but decided it was a challenge I’d be happy tackling so set about the build. In true Aoshima style the fit of parts and quality of moulding was pretty spot on so construction wasn’t an issue, but the painting was another story. I won’t go into details, but I had a few issues that really tested my patience! The model represents a fire ladder truck from Otsu in Japan and if required can be built with tilting (detailed) cab, rotating table, extending ladder and extending stabilisers. Due to the fragility of the ladder construction I elected to leave it retracted as it’s purely a static display model, but all other features are working. The only modifications I’ve made is to drill out the centre of the (grey) roof mounted megaphone and install a central cone (a solid grey blob didn’t quite look right), and the 4 door mirrors had their back shells built up with acrylic putty to simulate the shape of the full size. Tamiya and Mr. Hobby paints were used with a Molotow chrome pen used for details like the front bumpers, mirror glass, hydraulic pistons and some cabin details. I simply decanted the chrome liquid and applied it with a fine brush. Luckily most fire engines are kept extremely clean so very little weathering was required.  

Anyhoo, please have a gander as it’s something a little different to the norm. 

31712535808_3b67299206_o.jpg

31712621978_b647655433_o.jpg

44859943644_caa965edfc_o.jpg

44859962394_973dc1b088_o.jpg

44859998374_cc6619e23c_o.jpg

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Spiny said:

Just noticed tonight that this is 1/72. I hope that that indicates how well I think you've made this one.

Thank’s very much Spiny, and to everyone else for the nice comments. To give a better idea of scale I’ve posed the model with a regular ball point pen. 

44763178915_8eae431962_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...