Nakajima BN5 Kate Battle of Midway+++FINISHED+++

GREG DESTEC

I will be entering this under the Carrier section of the GB. Airfix's recent offering looks like a nice kit in the box but provides versions from the markings that probably exclude it from the boundaries bog the GB. However Enzo Matrix came to my aid with decals for a Kate that took part in the Midway battle flying from the Akagi. If i can find a link to the appropriate colour profile i will add it later. 

Box art and a big pile of bits!

30640937467_1fa89c1c37_z.jpg

30640934477_bfeece254d_z.jpg

Airfix provide the option of displaying it with the wings folded, so i may do that with mine.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Content
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Looking forward to seeing this in progress!:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix,

I will be starting on it once the Mustang is at the painting stage. 

All the best Greg

• Like 1

welcome aboard Greg, it's great to see one of these in the build, plus an entry in the Carriers GB.

Gee Enzo's such a nice fellow........ :D

Wings folded will look rather nice, you could almost do a wee IJN Akagi deck diorama.

Good luck with the build, look forward to following and seeing how she turns out.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Good to see the Kate in action. Progress is coming along nicely. I think yo will be able to see quite a lot of the cockpit with all that glass. Once again I have the 1/48 version and a Val. No time to do them here.

Thanks Greg:thumbsup:

Got the fuselage joined earlier and attached to the wings. Proved to be a bit tricky but is sitting on the bench with clamps as we speak. The engine is next, and looks to be well detailed. 

Hopefully I will post more progress tomorrow.

Cheers Greg

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like you've got this one underway nicely too Greg. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Yes it has gone together well, although the engineering of the cockpit floor on the central wing section didn't fit as well as I hoped it would. I had to clamp the fuselage to the wing section then deal with the subsequent seams. 

I reckon I will finish this one fairly quickly once the sanding is done.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1

Nice going Greg. I’ve got the same kit although mine comes with the F4F in the Midway DFD box. I was thinking that these two would be great for this GB, however I’m struggling for time so will leave them for another day. 

Its great to see this kit coming together and your cockpit detail painting is very impressive. I’m surprised your having some fit issues however we all know how exacting some of these CAD designed kits are these days. Looking forward to your progress on this one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee that cockpit area looks nice.  :thumbsup:

Yes for 1/72 it's pretty busy in there. With the fuselage in place and the wings folded most of it will not be visible, which is a shame. 

Cheers Greg 

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice going Greg. I’ve got the same kit although mine comes with the F4F in the Midway DFD box. I was thinking that these two would be great for this GB, however I’m struggling for time so will leave them for another day. 

Its great to see this kit coming together and your cockpit detail painting is very impressive. I’m surprised your having some fit issues however we all know how exacting some of these CAD designed kits are these days. Looking forward to your progress on this one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments. The fit issues will be mostly me. This is what happens when I build 1/72 along with 1/48. Something to be wary of when you build yours though. As before with new tool Airfix the tolerance in fit is tight. 

Cheers Greg

Update 2..

Well as i predicted the main body of the aircraft is assembled, and i am in the process of attaching the engine cowling. Soon i will be looking to get some paint on the main components, which reminds me that i should try and post a link of the camo scheme, which is overall "hemp" with green freckles on the upper surfaces. I am not an expert by a long chalk on IJN aircraft so apologies to those who are when i add the paint! And to top it all i am partially colour blind (afraid so) so the painting could be "interesting" lol. Here are the pics...

45147648745_50c2470c9a_z.jpg

46009485002_fab9fbc82c_z.jpg

Hopefully the next post will be more colorful!! I am off the next couple of days so i hope to post more progress shortly.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Greg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Sounds interesting. Can we expect a red camo then? 😁 That would be different. I can see that would be hard for you at times. I'm interested in what you come up with.

Are going to spray or hand paint it?

Thanks Greg,

I reckon I can get a colour close to the right one so no red Kate this time around! 

I am predominantly a brush painter so it won't be sprayed unless I could get a rattle can of the colour in question.

More updates soon.

Cheers Greg 😁

32 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Greg.

She has a heck of a wing span doesn't she.

Yes indeed! 

I'm doing mine with the wings folded. I've not seen one built with the wings up, I hope this isn't an omen.....😮

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

I will be interested to see this with the wings folded. I was thinking of doing the Wildcat, I'm currently building, with it wings folded but felt it was going to take me longer to do than I have time before the Pz.IV GB starts. As well as contsructing the more complicated wings I would have had to make the undercarriage as well........... far easier to do it in flight! I will definately have to make one with it's wings folded at some point. Looking forward to see more progress with yours.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I will be interested to see this with the wings folded. I was thinking of doing the Wildcat, I'm currently building, with it wings folded but felt it was going to take me longer to do than I have time before the Pz.IV GB starts. As well as contsructing the more complicated wings I would have had to make the undercarriage as well........... far easier to do it in flight! I will definately have to make one with it's wings folded at some point. Looking forward to see more progress with yours.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the kind comments. Folded wings doesn't usually appeal to me but as  I haven't seen many examples like that I thought I would give it a shot. The attachment points on both wing parts are very small and i reckon if I can get them to align it will be quite fragile, but we will see. At the moment I  am painting as most of the upper wings and fuselage will be inaccessible with the wings up.

Cheers Greg

55 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

folding wings, you're a have man! Though from the look of the model they won't be too much trouble.

I hope you are right Rich! 😮

• Like 1