Aoshima 1:350 Thunderbird 2 & 4 [Completed]

About a year ago I built the Takara Tomy kit of the new version of Thunderbird 2 and 4 from the Thunderbirds are Go TV series:

DSC_4814.JPG&key=6d2e6215e70eb51a3fb47a5

DSC_9617.JPG&key=8c823f8d18fec850394dc42

My intention was always to then build the Aoshima kit of the original version of this pair, eg

DSC_1364.JPG

I've decided to have a go at a quick build of this to get it complete by Telford in 2 weeks time  (gulp) to allow me to display these side-by-side! SO here goes!!!

Its not a complex kit, but the TB2 model is a much better shape than the similarly size Imai kits. Here are the sprue shots:

DSC_1365.JPG

Looking close up, it has some nice moulded detail in the pod cavity

DSC_1367.JPG

It also has a basic cockpit 

DSC_1368.JPG

Finally, it has a Thunderbird 4 that looks tiny but neat

DSC_1366.JPG

Calling International Rescue...

Ahh Vix...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 4

First progress report, we have a tiny Thunderbird 4... There are a lot of pieces to build this 2cm long model - look at this:

DSC_1370.JPG

and this is missing two tiny exhaust ports that go on the ends of the engine outlets at the back. Needless to say this took a bit of very careful building, using tiny amounts of tamiya extra thin

DSC_1371.JPG

Here you can see the two small parts I mentioned that go on the ends of the engine outlets. Here it is finally assembled

DSC_1372.JPG

Finally, its been painted yellow - I have a standard reddish-yellow mix that I keep specifically for painting Thnderbird 4 lol - this will be the 5th Thunderbird 4 model I built of various scales!!

DSC_1378.JPG

I also used this colour as JCB yellow on the Hitachi excavator earlier in the year! The instruction expect you to PAINT the red stripes on the nose and body eg 

DSC_4707.JPG

I'm not sure this is a good idea so I've been looking through my decal box and I think I've found some red stripe decals that might work better...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 4

Hey, I'm first here!

A sun lounger near the refreshment stand for me then.

(Notice I didn't say the B word. It was a children's show).

It must have been the Imai kit I built, It contained the Mole.

I think there is a version of this kit with the mole - this one comes with TB4 and the excavator!

Things have moved along with the rest of the build, particularly for the TB 2. First off the pod interior... well all I can say is oh dear...

DSC_1373.JPG

Look at those ejector pins and sink marks!!  So a bit of filler and sanding later...

DSC_1379.JPG

...and after some paint and adding the launch ramp for TB4

DSC_1385.JPG

Still need to paint the details on the floor and the sides. I'll paint the inside of the pod the same grey and there are some spare decals I can use to make the inside look more interesting. Now compare that to the detail in the Takara Tomy kit of TB 2 & 4

DSC_9444.JPG

Then again there are probably at least 20 years between these kits :) Now to the cockpit which has some nice decals available to make it interesting

DSC_1374.JPG

However, when assembling the main fuselage of TB2, which comes as two main pieces plus inserts for the front and rear of the pod bay, however there are problems with the fit and so lots of filler was required...

DSC_1376.JPG

DSC_1375.JPG

so that will hopefully fix it once dried and sanded! The tail has been assembled and cleaned up.

DSC_1377.JPG

The legs have been painted with Mr Metal Color Brass

DSC_1384.JPG

Finally TB4 has had its decals applied and is essentially finished

DSC_1380.JPG

DSC_1381.JPG

There has been a lot of sanding as the parts have lots of mould lines but its coming together!

• Like 5

A big update from the week's work: first off the pod was assembled which involved a considerable amount of filler!

DSC_1386.JPG

DSC_1387.JPG

This was then sanded down, primed and painted with my favourite Thunderbird 2 colour, Tamiya XF-5

DSC_1394.JPG

DSC_1395.JPG

Next we turn to the jet exhausts. I'm pleased to say that this kit doesn't have the awful red polythene parts that the Imai kits usually have. This kit has proper plastic parts that assemble properly and accept paint. First coat XF-56 Metallic Grey

DSC_1389.JPG

Then the kit comes with two decals that wrap around with a bit of fiddling and if done carefully fit remarkably well! In this pic you can see the line of the join of the decal ends on the rightmost exhaust - in RL its barely noticeable and I'll be able to position it to minimise its visibility. 

DSC_1398.JPG

Finally in this update, the main TB2 fuselage has been painted XF-5 and the intakes masked and painted red

DSC_1397.JPG

I've just given it a Klear coat ready for the rest of the decals and then I'll apply a minimal amount of weathering and pick out some of the details inside the front pod indent shown earlier.

• Like 9

Decals are on, along with some extra spots of colour to represent some other markings on the TB2 models. I've also given it a dark wash which modules the colour a little. Now its just waiting for the wash to dry fully before I add the matt varnish

DSC_1401.JPG

DSC_1402.JPG

Finally, I've painted the detail in the forward pod compartment bulkhead

DSC_1403.JPG

Nearly finished...

• Like 7

So I think I can say that this is complete! The matt varnish went on well and then the masking fluid was taken off the windows. There was some paint flaking around the edges which then had to be touched up. then I realised I'd forgotten to paint the 4 'windows' in the sides of the nose, so I picked them out with gloss black paint. using some masking tape to get nice sharp edges.

So here it is...

DSC_1411.JPG

DSC_1413.JPG

and here it is next to the 1:144 Takara Tomy kit of TB 2 and 4 from the newer Thunderbird are Go

DSC_1414.JPG

DSC_1417.JPG

These will be on the IPMS Farnborough table at Telford next weekend :D

• Like 9

On 11/4/2018 at 11:28 PM, Kallisti said:

[The original and re-imagined TB2s and 4s] will be on the IPMS Farnborough table at Telford next weekend :D

They were, and they looked great -- both lots. Nice work.👏

• Thanks 1