MiG-25BM conversion set for ICM kit

ya-gabor

Hi Andre,

There is a lot of discussion on Russian colours and there are standards but the way they are applied is very different.

Based on my own research there is just one, OK, two colours which are, which stayed almost 100% exactly the same in the past decades, going back to 1970’s -80’s. The cockpit turquoise blue. I have in my photo bag one small original sample and where ever I go and have a chance I do compare it to real aircrafts. That blue colour was the same on all fighters, helicopters, transports and even civil airliners when they left the factory!!! It is important to add that: When they left factory!

The other one is the heat resistant green for the wheels.

There were some paint factories in Russia and they produced paints to standards, delivered them to manufacturers. Here the story is fairly clear.

When units start to repaint, do corrections or apply complete camo the question goes completely out of control.

As far as I can see some of those camouflaged Foxbats returned home from GDR with camo on them. Did the unit stationed in GDR request paint all the way from Russia (then Soviet Union) or did they acquire it locally. Did the GDR paint standard equal to those in Russia? Only few aircraft were camouflaged, was the paint ordered specially for a handful of aircraft from Russia?

I know from experience here in Hungary that a lot of "exchange" was going on between Russian units and local companies, for example the repair factory. All sorts of materials going either way as a help to "comrades in arms".

Standards!

Standards?

Even today, please have a look at the blue line inside the Russian Federation red star. The Gorkiy factory paint shop uses a very different colour on MiG-31's when compared to Suhoy’s rolling off the Komsomolsk na Amure factory! So what standards are we talking about.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

When units start to repaint, do corrections or apply complete camo the question goes completely out of control.

So my friend is safe to use artistic license when he paints his.
Thanks,
Alan

Edited by sinistervampire319

1 hour ago, sinistervampire319 said:

So my friend is safe to use artistic license when he paints his.
Thanks,
Alan

I think if you look at some better quality photos of those camo MiG-25's it answers your question.

Each and everyone was different in all respects!

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, kotey said:

As say Russians: The severity of standards is compensated by the fact that they sometimes aren't executed.

Hi Kotey,

It is fascinating to look at Su-30's produced at Irkutsk and compare them to Su-35 from Komsomolsk. On paper there is a standard for the camo pattern. With the 35 they are vaguely similar, but each is individual. I have seen air-to-air photo of 4 Su-30 from overhead and they had the pattern copied to every millimetre. 

Best regards

Gabor

51 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

I think if you look at some better quality photos of those camo MiG-25's it answers your question.

Each and everyone was different in all respects!

Sorry Gabor, I meant he can paint White 37 however he likes and call it good.
Alan

On 11/4/2018 at 5:10 PM, ya-gabor said:

Based on my own research there is just one, OK, two colours which are, which stayed almost 100% exactly the same in the past decades, going back to 1970’s -80’s. The cockpit turquoise blue. I have in my photo bag one small original sample and where ever I go and have a chance I do compare it to real aircrafts. That blue colour was the same on all fighters, helicopters, transports and even civil airliners when they left the factory!!! It is important to add that: When they left factory!

The other one is the heat resistant green for the wheels.

Yes, I have seen your post regarding that one in (I believe) your Eduard MiG-21MF Masterclass. :worthy:

On 11/4/2018 at 5:10 PM, ya-gabor said:

Standards!

Standards?

And yet, that's exactly what makes Soviet / Russian aircraft so fascinating. Thanks for another great post!

I have tried a few of the new Vallejo paints; so far, most colours seem like at least a pretty good start. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Hi Exdraken,

Now this is a very brave move!!!!!!!!!!!!  Uh, a Revell kit, yee it is cheap but . . . :D

I have no idea how the Cold War Studios MiG-25BM nose would fit on a Revell kit. :hmmm: The CWS set was designed for the ICM kit. I dont even think it would fit on the KH kit, which has a completely different cross section and size. 

As to your question. You would need the "long" version of the nozzle (the one for the R / RB family of aircraft with R-15 engine) if you plan to build the BM. I havent seen any of the aftermarket ones, long time ago (decades) when I did a build, I made my own set. But it is long outdated now.

Good luck, all I can say with this project!!!! We can speak about it when and if you are at Plastic Zima in Bratislava in couple of weeks.

Best regards

Gabor 

Well I will be there, so no problem to meet. Beer is not my cup of tea :D but a friendly chat is absolutely no problem.

Dont know about Exdraken. Have no idea where he is in relation to Bratislava and how interested he is.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I dont even think it would fit on the KH kit, which has a completely different cross section and size. 

It wouldn't.  The KH nose is about a millimeter larger all the way around  where it joins the cockpit section.  It's basically the thickness of the plastic difference, so an ICM-based nose would fit inside a KH cockpit section, and a KH-based nose will fit over an ICM cockpit section; neither comes close to lining up.

It's probably a moot point here - I would guess that he meant the Revell boxing of the ICM kit - but I've seen the question asked several times so figured I would preempt anyone who was wondering if it's possible.  It isn't.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ICMF said:

an ICM-based nose would fit inside a KH cockpit section, and a KH-based nose will fit over an ICM cockpit section; 

:D  :D  :D

Got rid of my KH kit as soon as I could so never had the opportunity to compare them. Thanks!:worthy:

29 minutes ago, ICMF said:

- I would guess that he meant the Revell boxing of the ICM kit - 

I think you are right. Did not think of this. From Revell and MiG-25 kit I always associate for that old and . . . . kit.  Sorry. 

I am sure Exdraken will clear this point. 

It is also important to note that the Revell (rebox ICM) had better decals with the right black stencils! And also a better RBT nose. So I think he has a good deal on his hands here!

Best regards

Gabor 

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

Ordered a set... and a rel. cheep Revell base kit.

Which nozzle make would you recommend, if any ? @ya-gabor

hmmmm sorry for the confusion, of course I mean the Revell rebox of the ICM kit!

It should be a good donor kit!

the original Revell offering, oh well..... I had one once..... but already forgot about it!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1079427-revell-03931-mig-25-rbt-foxbat-b

QhiAuXn.jpg

can actually anybody tell me why Revell chose such a large box!!!! :banghead:

https://www.besserepreise.com/index.php?Revell 03931 - MiG-25 RBT&page=productDetails&productNo=03931-rev&pageType=&source=fulltextSearch&language=en

Edited by exdraken

9 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

You're both coming to Bratislava on the 24th? We should have a beer or three 🙂

Vedran

Being on the other side of Europe that date... sorry!

I dont know about the price of the Revell kit (rebox of ICM) but a bigger box could bring with it a bigger asking price. 

Anyway it is good to see that you have the ICM plastic! It was a bit of confussion on my part . ..  Sorry!

Now this should be a great build! Good luck with it!

Sorry that you will not be around for Plasitc Zima.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I dont know about the price of the Revell kit (rebox of ICM) but a bigger box could bring with it a bigger asking price. 

In the UK the Revell boxing has generally been available for a lot less than the ICM boxing.

Jon

• 1 month later...

as I have my set and the base kit now at hands,  I'd like to start soon!

some more questions:

the BM is based on the Recce planes, no I assume long feathered nozzles!... which AM one should I go for? any recommendations? Amigo Models, Metallic details, , what else is worth it? The kit ones are nice, but not excessively detailed.... and hard to assembly when all is nearly finished....

@ya-gabor

Recce pitot from Master is a must, ...

regarding color schemes, the consensus here is to paint them grey, not camo, no? (not being really operational!)

anything else?

At Plastikova Zima I did see a nice exhaust set from a Russian manufacturer. Was it around 20 Euro or so. Of course you will need the "long" version for the BM, the same as on the RB series.

There is one knows camo version of BM, that white 37 from the research centre. It did fly in that scheme, you can say it was not a front line unit, but it did fly. Looks different (question of individual taste if it is actually better looking or not) from the standard grey.

With operational units in the little time that it was in service the BM’s were grey.

Best regards

Gabor

• Thanks 1