Stynylrez primers

cruiserguy

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I finally got round to trying Stynylrez primers I bought a while ago. How do you find them? I found them hard to spray through a Badger 100 with a medium tip at 25 psi. Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks,

Will. 

I don`t know if you are doing anything wrong, having said that I have been using stynylrez for the last couple of years, initially on 1/35 scale armour kits, I don't recall any issues then, but following a loss of armour mojo I started back on 1/72 aircraft and that`s where my problems started, continual clogging of the gun, flecks in the paint, poor coverage, I use a sparmax gp50 for priming  with a .5mm needle. I tried adding a few drops of water but although it thinned it slightly the results were not terribly impressive, I varied the pressure, put the gun components through the ultrasonic cleaner, I had been using the grey primer so I tried the white and the black, but there was no consistency in my results. I even called "everything airbrush" where I bought my kit from, but they couldn't really diagnose the problem or a solution other than continual experimentation. So now I keep the gun spotless by regular sessions through the ultrasonic cleaner, I never let paint even get vaguely dry in the gun, I use the recommended cleaner from badger, I mix the primer for ages before I spray and I have to rack the pressure up to 35-40 psi on my regulator to get decent atomisation of the paint (I don't know how accurate my regulator is). I use a Harder and Steenbeck ultra for painting at about 20-25 psi with vallejo air paints as a first choice which in my opinion sprays like silk, lovely paint! I have resolved the issues to a degree, but I am going to give the vallejo primer a go, it is also a polyurethane self leveling filler/primer so as Barry Norman used to not say, you pays your money and takes your choice! Good luck!

Granto 

One  thing I've found with Stynylrez is that it must be mixed very well.  I had tried shaking it vigorously and that didn't seem to do it.  I finally bought a Badger paint mixer like this one.

At one point I did have a problem with a bottle of Stynylrez white primer that I bought.  Seems that at some point in time, it must have been frozen.  If Stynylrez is ever allowed to freeze, you should throw it out.  It will just have chunks in it that will never mix again.  I ended up buying a new bottle of Stynylrez white and I've never had any problems with that one.

I spray mine through my H&S Infinity CR2 with the .4mm needle at around 20 psi and I've never had a problem since I learned about the need for vigorous mixing.

Edited by uncletommy
  • Like 1

Ahhhhh.........all my kit lives in my shed, and although it is very well insulated it got very cold last winter, very cold......I don't know if it got cold enough to freeze but that could have contributed to some of my related issues, the plot, like the primer, thickens!

Granto

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I don't think my Stynylrez froze, but I hadn't realised it needed to be mixed so thoroughly. So time to break out the Badger stirrer as suggested. Thankfully, it was test piece and not a models I primed.

For Valenstich, Vallejo polyurethane primers are good, but you've got to let them cure thoroughly as they will peel if you sand them before they are fully cured. In fact, it's probably better to treat them as non-sandable primers and use them as a finishing or final primer coat once you've filled all the gaps and holes in your models and sanded everything smooth. They self-level beautifully, and you can mix them any Modelcolor or ModelAir paint to provide the shade of primer you want. 

Best wishes,

Will.

• Like 1