M4A1 Sherman

Eduard's boxing of the Lovely Tasca / Asuka Sherman. When it came out it was by far and away the cheapest way to get a Tasca Sherman, so I got a couple

P1000407.JPG

Started by making up the lower hull, and adding some Mr Surfacer 1000 to add more cast texture as it's a bit soft

P1000408.JPG

P1000409.JPG

While I was at it, added the texture to the turret as well

P1000410.JPG

Peter

• Like 9

The air intake cover on the rear deck was a large casting, as was the section of deck on which it sits, and might also benefit from some Mr Surfacer.  I couldn't help noticing that you've also left the noticeable mould seam around the vent cover.

The rear light guards should be flat section, not round, with flat tabs welded to the hull.  None were made of round section and the 3 main producers of M4A1s all used quite different guard designs.  You can see them here on the Sherman Minutia site, about a quarter of the way down the page.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1pcf/m4a1_pcf.html

You might want to check out other A1 features here as there were variations and Tasca are not immune from mistakes.

20 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The air intake cover on the rear deck was a large casting, as was the section of deck on which it sits, and might also benefit from some Mr Surfacer.  I couldn't help noticing that you've also left the noticeable mould seam around the vent cover.

The rear light guards should be flat section, not round, with flat tabs welded to the hull.  None were made of round section and the 3 main producers of M4A1s all used quite different guard designs.  You can see them here on the Sherman Minutia site, about a quarter of the way down the page.

You might want to check out other A1 features here as there were variations and Tasca are not immune from mistakes.

I'll be honest, i'll probably add the texture to the air intake cover, but that's it. The rear light guards are wire as the plastic flat ones broke. 

Sorry if this reply came off a bit Brusque, I do appreciate the time taken, and it's useful information to everyone so thanks for sharing, just that kind of accuracy isn't my thing.

Edited by Peter Marshall
correcting brusque tone

On 06/11/2018 at 13:10, Das Abteilung said:

Thanks for the link to this site, very informative. Just goes to prove that nothing can be taken for granted with shermans, I always try to work from photos but it's not always possible. On the Taska/Asuka/Eduard M4A1 I use Eduard etched headlight guards: TP028, as they are cheap and easy to use and look much better than the kit's injected parts. I have not enhanced the cast effect on my M4A1's as numerous photos show how smooth the castings were, rainy day wartime photos make the castings look really smooth and shiny.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...