anyone using Tamiya Xf-15 Flat Flesh paint?

cambridge

so it's the flat flesh paint, the one used for the skin. My problem is, i can't find a way to use it. it's like it has a thick consistency but a thin pigmentation, so even when applied undiluted it won't stick properly. and when diluted it would just flow away. i try to do coat after coat after coat but i can't ever have a proper uniform finish, both using airbrush or a brush. 

expecially considering you would like to have best possible control painting tiny details with this paint, it seems impossible to me.

should i move to other brands for skin paint ( any suggestion? ) or there's some trick i don't know on how to use this particular paint? 

• Sad 1

I'm new, so i only have a few (11 figures) 1/35th and 1/72 scale. And I gotta tell you, I hate the stuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother replying. I hate it that much.

with brush it's impossible, old coats pretty much fly off when the next coat is applied.

Personally, I just spray the skin down with the airbrush first thing then add all the other colors next. 

I'm thinking of using oilpaints for skin tone next time.

I use Games Workshop Citadel (Warhammer) Paints for all my flesh tones. Much more forgiving than Tamiya, and a wide range of shades:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Paint-Guide

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/CitadelPaintingSystem.pdf

There are Games Workshop retailers in Italy, but they all seem to be clustered around Rome, from Terni in the north down to Anzio to the south...

best

M.

I dunno whether you're amenable to trying another brand of paint for flesh tones, but if you have a scroll down my review of the LifeColor range here, you'll find a set of six colours that are a great basis for painting skin.  Add a wet palette for mixing the in-between shades, and you're laughing :) LifeColor also do a set of Quick Flesh Shadowing washes that help get a bit of depth to faces, hands and such.  I need to add that to the review yet, but as I've only just used them, I've not had chance to :blush:

I never use it directly out of the jar, it would be ideal if I were to paint lots of peaches but for painting flesh it looks like everyone has a nasty dermatological condition. So I always mix it (usually using twice the amount of white, but it varies every time) and thin it. It goes on better if there is a sprayed base coat or primer and do two or three thin coats rather than one thick coat. Don't keep going over the paint with the brush while the paint is still wet, just brush on in one swipe and then leave to dry for each coat.

"Sticking plasters  in Flesh Tone for those people who unfortunately have putty coloured skin".  I Don't know where I first came across is but I found that   a good starting point for any caucasion skin  tone for figures  was a mix of white as a basis with  any  sort of yellow ochre or sand and any red  that is on the  purple side such as crimson. I realise that it is not a "one-stop"  solution , but that combination of colours gives a huge leeway  as a base colour for any sort of "outdoor complexion"

8 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

I really don't like using tamiya paints with a brush.

Me neither.  I can remember trying to paint the engine bells off a Space 1999 Eagle as a young fella, and being most disappointed.  30+ years later and they're still a bit meh for brushing, not that I do much of that anyway though.  I like Lifecolor, Xtracrylix, AMMO and AK for the little areas I do still brush paint, and have nothing but respect for people that can brush paint a whole aircraft to a competitive standard. :worthy:

• Like 1