gloss finish for a Tamiya Eunos Roadster?

andmarsh

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but i really can't decide how to go about the next stages with this car body..

45580351651_08172f559a_c.jpg

i have read about applying clear,  or varnish,  or sanding down with wet and dry first, or polishing ?

have these products already at home, do you think they would be suitable?

45580350601_c15f7d3ddd_c.jpg

As I said in your other thread. As a seasoned car and bike modeller, I wouldn't use any of the "model" type products on a bodyshell. I'm not saying you can't, just that for the best result, in my honest opinion, I personally would stick to lacquer paints or Zero paints type products. Probably my recommendation for anyone learning to paint would be Tamiya TS sprays, as they are easier to use and dry really nicely and polish well. Most of them are gloss finishes and need no clear coat. When you're just learning that's a real bonus, not messing about with a seperate clear. It looks like you've already painted that body to me? And it looks pretty glossy already, so why do you feel the need to apply clear coat to it? I feel you're complicating the painting process unnecessarily. What have you painted it with? Depending on which paint you used, I'd be simply tempted to polish it up to a finish..

Edited by Steve Noble

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

As I said in your other thread. As a seasoned car and bike modeller, I wouldn't use any of the "model" type products on a bodyshell. I'm not saying you can't, just that for the best result, in my honest opinion, I personally would stick to lacquer paints or Zero paints type products. Probably my recommendation for anyone learning to paint would be Tamiya TS sprays, as they are easier to use and dry really nicely and polish well. Most of them are gloss finishes and need no clear coat. When you're just learning that's a real bonus, not messing about with a seperate clear. It looks like you've already painted that body to me? And it looks pretty glossy already, so why do you feel the need to apply clear coat to it? I feel you're complicating the painting process unnecessarily. What have you painted it with? Depending on which paint you used, I'd be simply tempted to polish it up to a finish..

Hi

Yes,  sorry if I'm asking the same question.  I guess I have been reading too many articles on vehicle finishing!

Yes,  it  was primed from a can with several layers of red tamiya acrylic airbrushed,   I was probably looking for a smoother finish than what I have

Some plastic polish may help things as you say

Thanks

1 hour ago, andmarsh said:

Hi

Yes,  sorry if I'm asking the same question.  I guess I have been reading too many articles on vehicle finishing!

Yes,  it  was primed from a can with several layers of red tamiya acrylic airbrushed,   I was probably looking for a smoother finish than what I have

Some plastic polish may help things as you say

Thanks

Hey, no problem. Ask as many questions as you need to. I'm always up for any questions on painting. 

So I'm assuming you used Tamiya X-7? You could polish this up pretty well using some light rubbing compound. But the X colours always seem to me to stay a bit soft, so go easy with the polishing. To be honest if you're using the airbrush anyway to apply them, I'd really recommend the new Tamiya LP (lacquer paint) series that come in the same small glass jars. They really do spray very well. Use the thinner that has a retarder in it and you can get such a smooth surface that you can get away without any polishing. I know I keep going on about lacquer paint as being easier for car bodies, but trust me, I've tried almost all the types of paint available and lacquer paint really is the easiest to use and gives the best finish on body parts in my opinion..

Edited by Steve Noble

Just found a video on YouTube which shows the painting from primer coats, to colour, to clear coat. It's really worth a watch to show you how you should be painting. There are also other videos in the series showing how to polish and all sorts of other stuff..

• Like 1