Trumpeter F9F-2P Panther +++Finished+++

Redstaff

Postie has been today and delivered my offering for this GB

Hope to get it started sometime next week once I've finished the Hawker Hunter in another GB hopefully this weekend

Think I'm going OOB with kit decals and no extras as it all seems ok at first glance

20181026_212830_001_resized

Obligatory shot to prove it's 100% fresh from the box before I start :) 

20181026_212806_resized

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Right

Hunter's done for the '60s NATO v Warsaw GB so made a start on this and up to yet I'm impressed with the precision fit of the cockpit and dry fit of other parts :) 

It's my first Trumpeter kit but probably won't be the last, and it's my first USN blue build as well, so any recommendations for the correct blue appreciated as there seems to be a few variations and this is out of my normal comfort zone of British planes 

Will post some pics when I've got more progress done :) 

If you work with enamel paints take a look at the Colourcoats range from Soveriegn Hobbies. Jamie has done a lot of research into the various shades of GSB that were produced and created paints to match them so will have the correct one for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

If you work with enamel paints take a look at the Colourcoats range from Soveriegn Hobbies.

Hi @Col. I haven't touched enamels since the 80s when that was all that was available

I usually use Tamiya, Mr Hobby aqueous or Model air from Vallejo. But seeing as its an all over blue I've even thought about a Halfords rattle can if there is a colour match as I'm not going to have a lot of time during this build with Christmas looming and one thing and another

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Had a bit of free time today for once and SWMBO was at work so got a bit more done on the Panther

I'm really impressed with the fit of the parts, but find some of the build sequence a bit strange like having the nose wheel leg moulded into the wheel well floor so you have to fit it at the start and the arrestor hook which are both begging to be snapped off 🤔

Hopefully get it into primer tomorrow and see if any filler is needed, but up to yet the only thing I think may need it is the nosecone to fuselage joint :) 

Then I need to decide wings folded or open 🤔

20181117_172520_resized

20181117_172535_resized

Edited by Redstaff
  • Like 7

The nose gear leg seems to be a common issue with Trumpeter it was the same with the 1/48 Sea Hawk I recently completed. It was quite frankly a pain in the butt, if I ever do another similarly sequenced Trumpy kit I'll try and mod the gear leg so I can fit it at a 'normal' time in the build.....like at the end!

Looking good though!

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Must get back to this and get it finished so I can build something else that I want to

Most kits when I start building them, I do research and learn about them and get immersed in the build, but this one I can't seem to find the MOJO for

It's a cracking little kit and has gone together really well , but I look at it on the bench and it just doesn't inspire me at all to finish it for some reason 🤔 but I will see it out

Maybe because I'm out of my normal RAF jets, WW2 or cars that I have been building and I've never seen one in the flesh so to speak that I can't connect to it

Ian

Sorry to hear you've lost the love for this one as it looked to be going well for you. Might be worth having a look online for some photos and information about the real thing to gain inspiration from.

25 minutes ago, Col. said:

it looked to be going well for you

Hi Col.

It is going well, there's nothing wrong with the kit at all, it's a cracker.

Think it's just that it's not my usual period and theater of operations, I will finish it and put pics in the gallery, but I won't be sorry to clear the decks with it so to speak.

In hindsight I would have been better off with an F14 Tomcat or A6 Intruder as I've always been interested in them, but I thought the panther would be different, but you live and learn 

Ian

• Like 1

Well, although I've lost the mojo for this build, I want to get it done and off the bench. 

I managed to get the paint on yesterday and this morning and the decals this afternoon. Just a couple of quick pics while the micro sol and set do their magic. It was refreshing that there were less than 20 in total, not like dozens of stencils on the Hunter :) 

Bit of touching up, gloss coat then wheels and canopy. Hopefully by the end of the week then on to the next build :) 

20181209_162553_resized

20181209_162704_001_resized

• Like 4

• Redstaff changed the title to Trumpeter F9F-2P Panther +++Finished+++

I'm finally calling this one finished

To be honest, I lost interest with this build about half way through and I have finished it just to get it off the bench, and it was rushed to complete it. It was built OOB and painted with Model air paints and Mr Hobby gloss coat, which usually is great but turned out a real poor finish on this, but that's how it's staying as I don't want to spend anymore time on it. 

I've just realised looking at the pics as well that the bombs haven't got the yellow noses 😞 but never mind...

Nothing wrong with the kit by the way, if that's your era/interest, it's just not mine unfortunately. I'd have been better with a Tomcat, Intruder or even Hellcat, all to what I can relate to, but hey ho, it's a learning curve for future builds. ie build something you can relate to and have an interest in rather than be drawn in by box artwork 😂

Some lovely builds on here and I've enjoyed, as always, the banter and tips along the way :) here's to the next one ('50s NATO / Warsaw pact) which I have a kit I can relate to :)  

Ian 

20181211_151020_001_resized

20181211_151128_001_resized20181211_151148_resized20181211_151113_003_resized

• Like 5

Thanks @nimrod54

It was hard work finishing off something that you've lost interest in, I kept looking at it, then doing something else instead 

I wouldn't go as far to call it "lovely looking" it just looks ok and is different with the wings folded, but it hasn't had the attention to detail put into it as it normally would, but I hate leaving things unfinished, so there you go.

Think it's one to chalk up to experience and to do more research before a build

Ian :)