Grumman F3F-2 "Flying Barrel" - FINISHED

nimrod54

This little F3F will be my entry for the Group Build but I still have to make a decision on which version to build, hence the ambiguity in the topic title. I think that the main external differences between the -2 and -3 are to do with the cowling shape, so once I have chosen the version I will amend the title and include the unit details. I haven't built a Special Hobby kit before but it looks to be a nice kit and includes resin and etch parts for some of the details.

Without further ado here are the obligatory box and content shots consisting of a small etch fret, a bag of resin parts, canopy, decal sheet and the plastic parts on a single sprue. All of that should make it a fun build.

44839274784_b9f9fbe57c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

31692051288_e447f5f713_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

31692050908_96e6ae7a23_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

31692051688_648e98f968_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

31692052238_b897bd8502_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 18

Here's a drawing that gives some differences (they're subtle) between -2 and -3.  (You might have to scroll a teensy bit, but you'll know it when you see it!)  Does the kit include optional parts for both?  As I recall, the hood (canopy) was a bit different.

Must be a tiny kit, the Acc Min 1/48th is small enough!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Here's a drawing that gives some differences (they're subtle) between -2 and -3.  (You might have to scroll a teensy bit, but you'll know it when you see it!)  Does the kit include optional parts for both?  As I recall, the hood (canopy) was a bit different.

Must be a tiny kit, the Acc Min 1/48th is small enough!

Thank you very much for the link @gingerbob. After a quick look at the kit parts, I can see two types of cowling but I will have to check on applicability. The vents down the side of the nose are moulded in so would have to be removed for the -3 and I think that the fin/rudder may need to be removed an repositioned to allow for the offset to port shown on -2 and -3 drawing. 

Nice choice – will keep an eye on this one if that's OK (I fancy getting this kit sometime...).

Good luck with the build.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

I'm following your build, to pick up any pointers, as I have this Goblin in the stash of WW2 RCAF aircraft that I'd like to do.

30664066157_aa76910e62_b.jpg

I know they are not the same aircraft but they're close.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I know they are not the same aircraft but they're close.

The Goblin looks a bit like the F3Fs fugly big brother, imho of course. ;)

@nimrod54 I'll be looking forward to seeing this build progress, an attractive little beasty in a very Grummanish fashion.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow! Thanks for all of your interest guys. I just hope that this build meets your expectations, and that those of you following for hints and tips are able to get something from it, no pressure then. :) I am desperately trying to finish another build for the Eleventh Hour GB at the minute, so this one won't start until I have either succeeded or failed with that one.

I built a 1/48 Accurate Miniatures F3F-1 when they were first released and that was a lovely kit to make, hopefully this smaller kit will be as much fun..

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I been working on parts of this over the past week or so and got around to painting some of the cockpit parts yesterday. The nature of the kit means that the parts fit needs to be carefully checked and adjusted as required, and the engine in particular had quite a bit of flash. The fit for the parts that make up the interior detail for the wheel bays have me somewhat confused at the moment, something that I'll need to have a good look at before I fix it in position and close up the fuselage.

But before all of that happens I have to finish detailing the cockpit, carry out a slight repair to the seat, which has been short shot on one corner and fashion some form of control column to replace the lump provided in the kit

31064570527_708bb70444_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45092058945_eedf0657e0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:30, MarkSH said:

A nice start the IP and pedals look very good.

Thanks Mark, I am pleased with the way the IP turned out considering that it is 'Old School' etch and film. 

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Good start John,great looking aircraft this one, sort of the Wildcat's Dad!

Cheers Steve, I really like these Grumman radials and you can see the Wildcat barrel shaped lines in this earlier design.

I managed to get some interior fit started last night and after some adjustment to the parts I achieved a satisfactory fit.

45969268462_fee7346c98_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This also allowed me to conjure up a plan for fitting the sub-assembly for the undercarriage bay detail. which is causing me a bit of an issue. Here is the part in question.

45969269052_78428de95b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Whilst the kit instructions give a general location, they are less than positive about the exact position.

45969269582_561d7bd598_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

45969270042_1ac129fcfa_n.jpg32148106928_505277e058_n.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Anyway, the plan now is to complete the interior fit and close up the fuselage, then slide the sub-assembly through the hole in the top of the nose and line everything up in preparation for fitting the undercarriage.  :fingerscrossed:

32148107228_5cef826797_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

I finished painting the seat details yesterday afternoon and then glued the fuselage halves together. I left this to set for a while then got on with fitting the undercarriage bay part through the hole in the top of the nose.

46086400091_29627437a0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Once I had figured out how this part worked in with the undercarriage struts its exact location became much clearer, although the fit is still a bit sketchy. Basically there are a couple of feint marks (one of these is circled in the photo below) on the underside of the fuselage where the lower strut part is supposed to sit, and it also attaches to this bulkhead/bay assembly.

46086398151_f6222f9870_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This next photo shows the lower strut in position, I am hoping that once I have assembled the legs and struts it will make for a more rigid assembly. But before any of that can happen I need to clean up the fuselage join.

46086398571_6f800bebf7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s quite a step to sand into shape. Looking good so far good buddy. 

Thanks a lot matey, the seam wasn't that bad to clean up in the end. There was a large step at the front end where the engine sits because I made sure that the tail end and panel lines matched up, this led to the mismatch at the front and that is what you can see in the previous photo.

After cleaning the join I added the lower undercarriage strut and the top panel which will need a bit of filler to tidy things up. Then I set about reinstating the panel lines, I have that to do on a couple of the lines on top yet though.

45368651844_726aa19105_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45368652534_0dabbf75b9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Once I have completed the work on the fuse and had a look at how the other undercarriage parts fit, I'll probably add the cabane struts then paint and decal the fuselage. Not my usual MO, but I want to give this a try after reading through a reference provided by @dnl42 over in @Duncan B's Accurate Miniatures build.

• Like 11

Boy, Special Hobby really doesn't make the wheel assembly easy. I almost picked this kit up, but I think maybe I'm glad I didn't. You're making it look fantastic, but that kind of combine step and gap fit issue usually makes me give up on a model. I'm not good at fixing that.  I wish you the best of luck and much inspiration. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments guys, I have been away for a few days so there has been no progress made since the last update.

I had a great day at the Midlands Air Museum on Friday, and with some encouragement and guidance from one of the volunteers there, managed to clamber up into the Vulcan that they have on display. I am sure that many of you will have done this, but as someone with two replacement knee joints, a pin in one femur, plates fixed to the other as well as the tibia & fibula of the same leg, it was quite an achievement. A day that I will long remember. :)

• Like 4