Grumman F3F-2 "Flying Barrel" - FINISHED

nimrod54

12 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Almost there dude. Need a swift kick to get mine over the line too. 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks great 👍

Cheers chaps. I had to make a compromise with the rigging, it should be flatter in cross section but I have used a rounder thread on this. I going to try and finish this over the weekend, then I can push on with the Prowler.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:42, Duncan B said:

Very tidy work with the rigging.

Thanks Duncan.

I have made a bit more progress, but it's the last few details that seem to take a while to sort. The canopy has been painted and, after drilling out the front section of the screen, this along with the gun sight has been fixed in place.

46882599011_83635e2051_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I made up the underwing racks from the etch fret and then thought I would take a look at what would be needed to rig the aerial wire. A photo from the reference that I have been using shows a hook fixed to the mast on the fin and this has a tensioning spring attached from which the aerial runs are made via an insulator. I started by attempting to make the spring detail from some 0.1mm wire. I wrapped this around the shank of a drill, it took me a couple of goes to get something that I felt could work and I then got on with making the hook for the mast. Making this was relatively easy, but after having a third one ping out of the tweezers into the maw of the 'Carpet Monster', I decided that it would be best to walk away for a little while before trying again. :badmood:Anyway, here is a shot of this work so far, I'll be back for Round 4 with the hook later.

46882599621_bb5be35703_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

Nearly there now, after feeding the Carpet Monster another hook I changed my approach and successfully rigged the aerial, the spring just needs a touch of rust coloured paint to finish that job. The tailplane struts and prop were then fixed in place and that was the last of the assembly work. There are a couple of touch up jobs on these where the parts were attached to the sprue.. The next update will see the job done.

31965484497_494ba2f304_c.jpg
by John L, on Flickr

31965484237_b9eba8a47f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

I was able to complete the last bits of tidy up work on this yesterday, so here are a couple of photos of the finished job. I think that with some care and a bit of effort this kit makes up into a nice model. There are a couple of details missing that I left off due to time pressures, but I am pleased with the overall result. 

46044291805_fb308d333f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32017290497_1bfce7ca7e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I will post some more photos in the gallery shortly. Thanks to all of those who have followed along and passed comment, or simply dropped by, and particular thanks to @Duncan B for some help early on in the build with the underside detail.

• Like 7

I haven't really been following this Group Build (one of the casualties of my recent house move), but I've just spotted this build in the Gallery.  It's superb. Congratulations John!

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:57, wimbledon99 said:

Just seen this in the gallery

:wow::wow:

What a lovely build. The rigging is superb!! Well done!!

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:38, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Really great work here :thumbsup: ... Im hoping to snag the Academy 1/48 re-pop later this year.

23 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great build buddy. Another John masterclass. 

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

I haven't really been following this Group Build (one of the casualties of my recent house move), but I've just spotted this build in the Gallery.  It's superb. Congratulations John!

Thanks for all of your kind comments gents. It has been a good weekend, I have managed to complete two builds. I just have to try and wrap up a second Grumman build for next weekend now.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Stix, you may be pleased to know that I followed your example and brush painted the fuselage with some Revell Aqua Color Aluminium. I also manged to finish a 1/144 Eurofighter Typhoon over the weekend, and that was entirely brush painted - the first time I have done that for quite a while.

• Like 1

I followed this build right through but have now eventually got around to congratulating you on the lovely build, John, I love the colour scheme but the attention to detail on this build has been jaw dropping. Flying barrel indeed! I'd say it's a beauty and confirms me as a Grumman fan. All the best. Mike.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1