Cosford Restoration Centre Open Days plus great pics of the Hampden!

tonyot

Thanks for posting this Tony as I won’t be making it this year for the first time in years to view this and I have a particular interest as one of my uncles was a pilot in 144 but was killed in January 1942.

It looks fantastic but not sure about those codes...the K was grey last year but guess they know otherwise now.

mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Thanks for posting this Tony as I won’t be making it this year for the first time in years to view this and I have a particular interest as one of my uncles was a pilot in 144 but was killed in January 1942.

It looks fantastic but not sure about those codes...the K was grey last year but guess they know otherwise now.

mick

No worries Mick,..... I know what you mean, I dare say that the codes were grey and then changed to red when the roundels were changed to C1 Type. The camo demarcation looks a bit odd to me, but hey what do I know!!

Cheers

Tony

Perhaps the links don’t work but it’s easy enough to Google the Cosford museum then wend one’s way to the shots of the Hampden.  And what shots they are too!  An almost fully complete cockpit (short only of one instrument that I can see), side field showing the whole fuselage, a straight-at-the nose shot, and another showing bullet holes from when the aeroplane was shot down over Russia.

Thank you LOTS, Tony, for alerting us to them.  I’m only sorry I can’t get to Cosford (or SMW).

Jonny

• Like 1

The links work for me too, I have to agree with Gorby, it's great to see the Hampden taking shape and I think they've done a great job with it so far.

Thanks Tony for posting.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spitfire said:

Thank you for posting, she is looking great, now we just need a Whitley, Halifax, and Stirling.

Chjeers

Dennis

Well, the good folks at Yorkshire Air Museum have a Halifax Mk. III - albeit a composite including a fair amount of new build.  There’s a group in Cambs. constructing a Stirling nose (and from pics I’ve seen making an incredibly good job of it). I haven’t heard of anyone attempting to do anything (yet) about a Whitley, more’s the shame.

It would be nice if someone found a recoverable & restorable Whitley in a deep fresh water fjord, like the Halifax example in Canada, wouldn’t it?  

Just dreaming and wishing ...

Jonny

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Well, the good folks at Yorkshire Air Museum have a Halifax Mk. III - albeit a composite including a fair amount of new build.  There’s a group in Cambs. constructing a Stirling nose (and from pics I’ve seen making an incredibly good job of it.  I haven’t heard of anyone attempting to do anything (yet) about a Whitley, more’s the shame.

It would be nice if someone found a r3coverable & restorable Whitley in a deep fresh water fjord, like the Halifax example in Canada, wouldn’t it?  

Judt dreaming and wishing ...

Jonny

@12jaguar is part of the team working on the Stirling, they are doing a great job. Agree, a Whitley would be nice. 

Thanks for posting tony, hopefully will get over to see the hampden

• Like 1

A reliable source tells me a certain aircraft collector and operator has bought some land in Russia, which contains assorted aircraft remains. Apparently a lake is involved which is supposed to contain a Stirling. Negotiations are ongoing to get the airframes out of Russia. A certain lack of co-operation is hampering matters. 

It's a wonderful job on the Hampden. It was just a pile of twisted metal on a flatbed trailer when I first saw it leaving the port 30 years ago.

Watch this space.

• Like 3