F-42B Tempest II

jalles

I created this for a group build on another site.  It's supposed to be a 6th Generation fighter to replace the Typhoon. It's scratch built (3D printed molds and then vacu-formed) if that still counts as scratch built these days.  BAE came out with a Tempest concept not long ago, unfortunately I was already building this at the time, if I had started a little later, it may have looked more like the BAE concept. I hope you like it.

43507502950_c97a69299f_b.jpg

44410213895_c696024db8_b.jpg

43507502610_a22c808ccf_b.jpg

44410213565_ebcfa9c5cd_b.jpg

43507502310_0e7d5d5ff7_b.jpg

45273800962_7093d9afd8_b.jpg

44410213305_912f44b492_b.jpg

43507502030_290f1440b8_b.jpg

43507501710_61d0207f20_b.jpg

43507501490_e722e1e1c4_b.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

That really is nicely done. I really like this concept and has been suggested above does look better than the ‘known’ Tempest concept previously unveiled. An excellent bit of modelling. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 10/26/2018 at 4:30 PM, jalles said:

I created this for a group build on another site.  It's supposed to be a 6th Generation fighter to replace the Typhoon. It's scratch built (3D printed molds and then vacu-formed) if that still counts as scratch built these days.  BAE came out with a Tempest concept not long ago, unfortunately I was already building this at the time, if I had started a little later, it may have looked more like the BAE concept. I hope you like it.

Brilliant! Big compliments! Can you show something of the moulds and vacformed parts? The build quality is so good that I want to know more 🙂

Rob

14 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Can you show something of the moulds and vacformed parts? The build quality is so good that I want to know more 🙂

Hey Rob,

I'd be happy to show you.

Here is the raw 3D print. As you can see it has the rough, terraced look of most FDM prints.

43154279532_01fde7ff28_b.jpg

I bought some heavy filler primer in a spray can, and after spraying the mold, sanding, and repeating I was left with a nice smooth mold.

42526278215_f396baee2f_b.jpg

Here's the bottom mold, the intakes were separate pieces.

42526277725_54e190e93a_b.jpg

Here are the all the pieces after vacuforming. I cheat and do the top in clear, that way I don't have to worry about incorporating the canopy.

44263076071_6d93679a69_b.jpg

Working with clear is difficult since you can't really see where imperfections may be, so I primed the top and protected the canopy area with tape.

44214767042_e266a89fd3_b.jpg

I didn't put the DSI bumps for the inlets in the CAD file for 3D printing so I had to add them after.

44542434501_d495bbb2b1_b.jpg

Here are the inlets being blended in.

44542434071_02f319c45f_b.jpg

I think that's most of the pictures I have of the molds and vacuformed parts. I have a few more work in progress pictures if you're interested.

Cheers,

Jason

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jalles said:

Here is the raw 3D print. As you can see it has the rough, terraced look of most FDM prints.

I bought some heavy filler primer in a spray can, and after spraying the mold, sanding, and repeating I was left with a nice smooth mold.

Here's the bottom mold, the intakes were separate pieces.

Here are the all the pieces after vacuforming. I cheat and do the top in clear, that way I don't have to worry about incorporating the canopy.

Working with clear is difficult since you can't really see where imperfections may be, so I primed the top and protected the canopy area with tape.

I didn't put the DSI bumps for the inlets in the CAD file for 3D printing so I had to add them after.

Here are the inlets being blended in.

I think that's most of the pictures I have of the molds and vacuformed parts. I have a few more work in progress pictures if you're interested.

Super! Many thanks, I saved all pictures for future reference and inspiration!

I would love to see your in-progress photos too. Your end result is so perfect that I initially thought I was looking at 3D renderings. For example, I'm using 0.3 and 0.5 mm spring steel wires to create straight leading and trailing edges . Did you use something similar to create these perfect lines?

optica-10.jpg

Rob

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Your end result is so perfect that I initially thought I was looking at 3D renderings. For example, I'm using 0.3 and 0.5 mm spring steel wires to create straight leading and trailing edges . Did you use something similar to create these perfect lines?

You know, I really didn't do anything special, just sanded the vacuform top and bottom where they mate. I also 3D printed some filler parts for the wings which helped. There is some slight wobble that the images don't show.  Your spring steel wire idea is ingenious, I'll have to file that one away for the future.

Here are couple more pictures:

Using apoxie sculpt to finish off the interior of the exhaust.

44493286092_60d0fdb622_b.jpg

More apoxie sculpt and styrene for the top/interior of the exhaust. I didn't spend too much time on these parts as they're pretty hard to see.

44542433601_342aba3e7a_b.jpg

Here's the start of the gear and weapons bays.

43860878334_134f1467bf_b.jpg

Plotting out where the above bays will go.

42769492560_aef30a5079_b.jpg

Bays cut out.

30708905848_de8a5f6fa0_b.jpg

Finally, primed before panel line scribing.

44963968462_ec2d81019d_b.jpg

45012088791_66e0c53f02_b.jpg

15 hours ago, dadofthree said:

So when do we see the limited run kit? Hint, hint ;)

I for one would say that it is good enough to sell, coz I would be queueing up to buy one.

Ha, ha! Unfortunately I ruined the molds during vacuforming. Plastic molds aren't that durable 🤔

If you'd like the CAD files, I'd be happy to send them your way. I had these parts printed by a third party.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jalles said:

You know, I really didn't do anything special, just sanded the vacuform top and bottom where they mate. I also 3D printed some filler parts for the wings which helped. There is some slight wobble that the images don't show.  Your spring steel wire idea is ingenious, I'll have to file that one away for the future.

Here are couple more pictures:

Using apoxie sculpt to finish off the interior of the exhaust.

More apoxie sculpt and styrene for the top/interior of the exhaust. I didn't spend too much time on these parts as they're pretty hard to see.

Here's the start of the gear and weapons bays.

Plotting out where the above bays will go.

Bays cut out.

Finally, primed before panel line scribing.

Many thanks for the additional photos! Very nice work, inspirational.

One more question: how did you scribe the model so perfectly? The model also has plenty of zig-zag panel lines, and in my experience they are a nightmare to scribe.

Rob

15 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

One more question: how did you scribe the model so perfectly? The model also has plenty of zig-zag panel lines, and in my experience they are a nightmare to scribe.

Ah, good question. I create patterns in Adobe Illustrator and then I use a craft cutter to cut out templates onto vinyl tape.

This is the cutter I have https://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-America-Portrait-2/dp/B009GZUPFA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541775326&sr=8-4&keywords=silhouette+portrait

And this is the tape I use https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-Vinyl-Tape/dp/B001HTAARG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1541775401&sr=8-18&keywords=3m+vinyl+tape

Honestly I'm not sure I'd bother without this combination, too tedious and the results probably wouldn't be as good as I'd like. I do a fair bit of kit bashing and scratch building stealth aircraft, and those zig-zag panel lines always cause me fits. This way the amount of effort to do it is at least acceptable.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Jason

On 11/9/2018 at 4:04 PM, jalles said:

Ah, good question. I create patterns in Adobe Illustrator and then I use a craft cutter to cut out templates onto vinyl tape.

This is the cutter I have https://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-America-Portrait-2/dp/B009GZUPFA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541775326&sr=8-4&keywords=silhouette+portrait

And this is the tape I use https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-Vinyl-Tape/dp/B001HTAARG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1541775401&sr=8-18&keywords=3m+vinyl+tape

Honestly I'm not sure I'd bother without this combination, too tedious and the results probably wouldn't be as good as I'd like. I do a fair bit of kit bashing and scratch building stealth aircraft, and those zig-zag panel lines always cause me fits. This way the amount of effort to do it is at least acceptable.

Thanks again for all the details! I'm familiar with the Silhouette cutters, a club member made me a mask for the old Revell 1/72 F-16A with one. Shown below are my four tries to design the correct shape. I haven't used the mask itself yet, so I can't show the result.

f16-10.jpg

I looked up the specs of the tape, and it's about 0.12 mm thick, a typical vinyl tape I would say. Since your zig-zags and straight lines look so perfect, I have to ask whether you engraved them, drew them with a pencil, or sprayed them? I honestly don't know how did them so perfectly..

Rob

• Like 1

Those masks look good,I'm excited to hear how they work out for you.  I love my silhouette, definitely one of the best investments I've made for model making.

On 11/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Rob de Bie said:

looked up the specs of the tape, and it's about 0.12 mm thick, a typical vinyl tape I would say. Since your zig-zags and straight lines look so perfect, I have to ask whether you engraved them, drew them with a pencil, or sprayed them? I honestly don't know how did them so perfectly..

Yeah, the tape isn't that thick, but it's just enough to use as a guide and it works well on curved surfaces. All those lines are in fact engraved. I have a tool that looks a bit like a dental pick, it works quite well for engraving panel lines.  I have to say, I'm glad you like them, they were a pain in the butt for sure. I don't have much in the way of tips, just go slow and lots of practice I guess.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:00 AM, jalles said:

Those masks look good,I'm excited to hear how they work out for you.  I love my silhouette, definitely one of the best investments I've made for model making.

Yeah, the tape isn't that thick, but it's just enough to use as a guide and it works well on curved surfaces. All those lines are in fact engraved. I have a tool that looks a bit like a dental pick, it works quite well for engraving panel lines.  I have to say, I'm glad you like them, they were a pain in the butt for sure. I don't have much in the way of tips, just go slow and lots of practice I guess.

That's impressive! I guess I'm still learning to engrave - I'm rarely totally happy with the results..

Regarding the Silhouette, one of our club members does nearly all markings with masks. On the two examples below only small squadron badges are done with decals. It surely looks good!

Rob

rzh-jan2018-01.jpg

rzh-okt2018-16.jpg

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 1