Ju 188 without swastika?

rossm

On 10/30/2018 at 6:43 PM, tempestfan said:

It may depend on who pays for the museum. It is definitely legal to have it on a museum example, but a public one may have reservations on „promoting“ the symbol as an official act, so to say. It’s been a long time since I was there, but think e.g. the private museum at Laatzen has swastikas on the models as well as on the real planes. Well, apparently not (just looked up their homepage...

BTW, is +EE above an E or F, for a change?

I believe that it was the seriess 'Holocaust' that changed a lot. At the beginning of the 1970 you saw this ugly face on almost every newstand in Germany. Then the seies, and people suddenly remembered that there was a law against showing him and his symbols. We are back there at the moment, if you whatch history channels, almost everyday. So the subject under discussion is certainly serious these days. I believe that the moview 'He is wieder da!' is just on the spot.

The problem is, however, that the swastikas are more visible by their absence than if they were included. Somehow a German airplane from WW II look almost bare without them. 

• Like 1

British aircraft wore the swastika too. It was a 'good luck' symbol.
This is A4501 of No 5 Training Depot Station, at Easton-on-the-Hill. The R.E.8. and was pictured on 25th September 1917. On the fuselage is a mirrored swastika. A4501 was one of a batch of 150 R.E.8s built by the Standard Motor Co. at Coventry. It was powered by a 150 h.p. R.A.F. 4a engine costing £836. The airframe cost £1,232. It has no armaments.
409387182.jpg
409387179.jpg
409387176.jpg
409387173.jpg

There was an entire world using the swastika as a good luck symbol, or for just decorative purposes, or perhaps a wide range of other uses, before and even after it was adopted by the Nazi Party.  However we now live in a world after that, in a part of the world heavily adversely affected by the followers of that symbol.  Ignoring that truth for our own narrow purposes is foolish at best.  What we do in our own workspace is another matter, and I do add swastikas to German subjects of this period.  But, to put it bluntly, I don't take such models into any synagogues.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 8:19 AM, rossm said:

Interesting, my personal point of view is that it should be ok to use it on a historically accurate model but I can see the point about mass distribution keeping it out of kits on general sale in shops. I'd also prevent its use on documentation like labels for models - the plain cross should suffice if a common emblem is needed for a group of models in the same way a roundel might be used for a group of British aircraft. The problem for the lawmakers is how to write a law that doesn't have "grey area" loopholes and in this case I'm in favour of more restriction rather than less.

I'd like to close that part of this thread there please................

Please can I repeat that I would now like this thread to be restricted to helping me build and finish the kit accurately,

Thanks,

Ross

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NPL said:

The problem is, however, that the swastikas are more visible by their absence than if they were included. Somehow a German airplane from WW II look almost bare without them. 

There's some truth in that. That's why I decided two weeks ago to add the swastikas to the German kits that came with them. If a kit doesn't come with the swastikas, then I'll leave it like that, since I'm not interested in buying aftermarket specifically for those decals.