Revell Handley Page Halifax Mk.III

Hello Roger ... Glad to see you back safely. The Dark Earth turned out well in my opinion. The whole build is going quite well actually. Not much on my front. I currently have two going on down in the Group build area, and a sci-fi build going. The rest of my builds are off line right now.   

Dennis

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Roger ... Glad to see you back safely. The Dark Earth turned out well in my opinion. The whole build is going quite well actually. Not much on my front. I currently have two going on down in the Group build area, and a sci-fi build going. The rest of my builds are off line right now.   

Dennis

Thanks very much Dennis.

I'm currently deliberating whether to do some work on the landing gear or a turret, or maybe turrets. Leaning towards landing gear at the moment but we'll see what happens. 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:18 AM, CedB said:

Very nice Roger, very nice indeed.

Thank you Ced. (I'm sure I have already posted a thank you, something either went wrong or I imagined it 🤔)

Landing gear on and given a bit of a dry brush. I'll be painting some more detail work in situ.

IMG_6687

IMG_6686

IMG_6684

• Like 11

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:42 PM, Roger Newsome said:

By the way, the Reap the Whirlwind book is highly recommended! 👍

Is it much of a photographic reference (ie loads of lovely and hitherto unpublished piccies) or more of a narrative history?

11 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Oooh! Treaded tires? I'm not too sure wartime Hallys had treaded tires.

Chris

Oh dear. I bought aftermarket tyres because I read the kit ones weren't particularly accurate,  that little plan may have backfired. 😳

13 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Oh dear. I bought aftermarket tyres because I read the kit ones weren't particularly accurate,  that little plan may have backfired. 😳

I know Freightdog had some smooth replacements. You could check with Colin and see if he has any.

Chris

15 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I know Freightdog had some smooth replacements. You could check with Colin and see if he has any.

Chris

Cheers Chris, you're  right, https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/freightdog-1-72-hp-halifax-b-iii-replacement-mail-wheels.html

The landing gear put up a bit of a fight so at the moment I'm tempted to leave it be and live with an inaccuracy, however that view may very well change once it starts playing on my mind.

• Like 2

I'm a bit annoyed with myself for buying the wrong replacement wheels, poor research on my behalf but I've ordered the correct ones from Freightdog, I'm hoping the surgical removal and replacement will go ok.

Maybe I could have lived with it being inaccurate but when I've invested in a correctly shaped H2S dome and been gifted the correct size machine gun for the nose it would be a shame not to have the correct wheels.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Sorry for urinating on your circus, Roger. I just felt that I should bring it up to you, as you always do such a great job with your kits.

Chris

It's not a problem at all Chris, I'm glad you did. Correcting it at this stage is going to be a lot less painful than having it pointed out when it's in the RFI section.

• Like 1

The correct wheels/tyres from Freightdog arrived and have been added. My worry there was freeing the incorrect resin resin wheels which I'd glued in place with Gorilla superglue, however my wife's Boots nail polish remover applied sparingly with a brush did the trick and interestingly to note is the stuff comes in varying strengths. Who knew? Fortunately for me hers is specifically for weak, dry nails,  (she had no idea 😁) preventing collateral damage to surrounding plastic.

Mid upper turret also added.

20190209_151757

20190209_151814

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Michael51 said:

What great work.

The 'black' that is not quite black undersides is particularly effective for this scale, I think,

Michael

Thanks very much Michael.

I used Mr Hobby H77 Tire Black, a much better choice of "black" in my opinion than black black.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HP42 said:

Looking fabulous! Very tempted to buy one myself. 

Thanks very much. Despite some easily made corrections the kit goes together beautifully, if you're not overly concerned about accuracy you'll still have an  impressive representation of a Halifax. Go on, give it a go. 😁

• Like 1