Revell Handley Page Halifax Mk.III

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

... and it still looks big.

Noticed that you've you Tiffy boxing, prepping her for next build maybe? :coolio:

Stuart

I'm not entirely sure what's going to be next Stuart. The Halifax was always intended to be a relatively slow build with no time limit for completion. I've got a small stash of aircraft I'm enthusiastic about building but I'm a bit indecisive which will be next.

Next trip at sea's project is going to be something pretty simple as I expect the weather won't be that great in January, maybe a jet. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I've got a small stash of aircraft I'm enthusiastic about building but I'm a bit indecisive which will be next.

What you need is us BMers to choose for you. :wink:

I do understand the indecision side of things, mainly of our own making when have stashes...so many to choose from.

Jet while at sea, makes sense.

Stuart

• Like 1

:hmmm:.........so, would I be right in thinking the Meccanno traction engine ain't going? Just think of the fun you'll miss out on....... 

chasing all those washers and nuts around the deck.....:whistle:

Just trying to be helpful, like!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

What you need is us BMers to choose for you. :wink:

I do understand the indecision side of things, mainly of our own making when have stashes...so many to choose from.

Jet while at sea, makes sense.

Stuart

Looks like a decision has been made. My model building shipmate has just told me he has a 1/48 Hasegawa Skyhawk to build next trip so I'll take my Hobby Boss version back. Does two people constitute a group build? 😄

Apparently there's a few issues with the kit but my head will be buried in the sand it it'll be built out of the box.

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

:hmmm:.........so, would I be right in thinking the Meccanno traction engine ain't going? Just think of the fun you'll miss out on....... 

chasing all those washers and nuts around the deck.....:whistle:

Just trying to be helpful, like!

Now if you had said Lego it would have been a bit more sensible. 

• Like 2

I had a little interlude with this as I had to go away on a course for a couple of days but now I'm back at it. 

The lighting hasn't done me any favours with this photo as in real life it's considerably darker, however, what I'm trying to achieve is a black finish but leaving the pure black for shadow areas.

When I've done a bit more I'll try and get a better photo in daylight, what there is of it at the moment. 🙄

IMG_6655

• Like 9

Today I've done a bit of remedial seam filling and sanding. The upper surfaces have been highlighted with a Mr Hobby light grey, I'm not sure which one I picked up, not that it matters that much and some random areas have been picked out in black which hopefully will give some tonal variation when the top coats of paint are applied, well that's the plan anyway.

Almost time to mask off the black lower areas and get some Dark Earth down. 

IMG_6658

• Like 8

Update time, well actually not much of an update at all. I've taken the decision to halt proceedings here until I come home on leave towards the end of January. I will be travelling back up to Aberdeen on 27th which doesn't give me much time to do anymore considering what else is going on in the next few days and I would like to leave it at a logical stage so it will be easier to pick up and continue when the time comes.

However this has arrived from the US which should help keep up my interest. 👍

Reap the Whirlwind

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It's been a quiet month for me on the modelling front. I was moved onto another ship at short notice 28th December and for various reasons didn't get a project done while I was away.

I came home on leave yesterday and managed to fit in some masking on the Halifax in the evening. Hopefully today will be a quiet day and I'll have some photos of some progress later on. 

• Like 5

Here we go... masked off large areas of black and airbrushed a coat of Mr Hobby Dark Earth, which actually doesn't look particularly dark. 🤨 

Tomorrow more masking and then some spraying Dark Green. 

Masks are from the AML set for this kit.

IMG_6663

By the way, the Reap the Whirlwind book is highly recommended! 👍

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I must say you got a lovely finish on that not-so-dark-earth though!

Thanks Christer, now the Dark Earth has dried and I've compared it with some photos and don't think it's too far off. The lighting hasn't helped either. 

It was masked lastnight...

IMG_6665

....and the Dark Green sprayed. To be continued when the masks are removed. 😄

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

As I've just unboxed my ancient Matchbox Halifax, I'm watching all Halifax builds with interest.

Funnily enough I was considering buying that kit just prior to you starting your build thread Eric.. I'll see how you get on before I take the plunge.

22 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I kinda like the Mr Color H72, since it sprays so easily!

Come on, rip of those masks now, I want to see the finished result!

:bounce:

They're off!!! I'm going to make you wait though, I haven't taken any photos yet. 😄

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1