Revell Handley Page Halifax Mk.III

Hello Roger,

Page 3 and fuselage already closed up !

Lord, You're fast !! Good cruise for you and deckmates !!

If you don't mind, I will pop up here from time to time, just seeing you doing some great modelling with the Halibag !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

Almost all innards completed and the fuselage glued together?

That's worth a tap-dance or two, for sure!

Good luck on your November cruise 🙂

For one moment I thought that said lap dance! 😁

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger,

Page 3 and fuselage already closed up !

Lord, You're fast !! Good cruise for you and deckmates !!

If you don't mind, I will pop up here from time to time, just seeing you doing some great modelling with the Halibag !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Dennis, I travel back up to Aberdeen today and join the ship tomorrow morning so that's the end of Halibag fun for a month.... however, I have a couple of projects to be getting on with while I'm away. 

2 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Hi, I'll follow, if I may. My late father-in-law was flight engineer on Halifaxes and shot down over France. Unless Airfix get a new one out, this will be the only way to build his plane.

Don

Glad to have you following Don, as you will have read already there will be a months break before I continue with this. Just out of interest, what squadron did your father in law fly with if you don't mind?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

For one moment I thought that said lap dance! 😁

Thanks Dennis, I travel back up to Aberdeen today and join the ship tomorrow morning so that's the end of Halibag fun for a month.... however, I have a couple of projects to be getting on with while I'm away. 

Glad to have you following Don, as you will have read already there will be a months break before I continue with this. Just out of interest, what squadron did your father in law fly with if you don't mind?

Roger, he was in ZA-D of 10 Sqdn., baled out, 10 August 1944 with two broken arms, hidden by locals till the army got to that bit of France. I never knew this till after he died, he never mentioned it to me and my wife was told never to ask him when she was growing up.

Don

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Roger, he was in ZA-D of 10 Sqdn., baled out, 10 August 1944 with two broken arms, hidden by locals till the army got to that bit of France. I never knew this till after he died, he never mentioned it to me and my wife was told never to ask him when she was growing up.

Don

Thanks Don. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Courageous said:

...and it is for that very reason that I stick to 1/72 fighters.

Besides it's size, it's looking rather neat.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I suppose it's not so good having a big one and nowhere to put it..... but there's still satisfaction to be had from having it and showing it off on the internet. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Christer A said:

That's not an A3 cutting mat is it?

Lol, no. I could move the Typhoon and Mosquito boxes but I like looking at them.... childish and pathetic I know but I have a feeling I'm in good company here. 😄😄😄

• Haha 1

Just to set a few things straight, it's 415 Sqn. that has the Swordfish in their crest, 405 Sqn. crest has a stylized eagle's head with a maple sprig, in it's beak.

405 Sqn. started out attached to 4 Grp (Apr. '41 -Oct. '42), then was attached to Coastal Command (18 Grp.) from Oct. '42 to Feb. '43.  They joined 6 Grp. in Mar. '43 and remained there until Apr. '43, when they moved over to 8 Grp. (Pathfinders), remaining there until Mar. '45.  Squadron code was 'LQ'.  As for operating the Halifax, they only flew the Halifax Mk.II from Apr.o Sep. '43.  From there, they transitioned to the Lancaster Mk.I/III (Aug.'43 - May '45)  and then the Lancaster Mk.X (not on ops) May-June '45).

415 Sqn. only flew with Coastal Command and through their wartime service, their sqn. codes were  GX, NH and finally GU. They flew the Halifax Mk.III/VII (coded "GU") July '44 - Jun. '45.  Of the Halifax flown, only 6 were Mk.VII and they were on strength from March to May '45.

I noted in a previous post, a "?" behind 427 Sqn.  They were indeed, in 6 Grp. … from Jan. '43 to Aug.45 … then with 1 Grp. Aug.45 to Jan. '46.  Squadron codes were "ZL".  In terms of the Halifax, they flew the Mk.V from May '43 to Feb. '44, and the Mk.III from Jan. '44 to Mar.'45.  They next flew the Lancaster MK.I/III  from Mar. '54 to May '46.

FWIW, the other 6 Grp. squadrons include: (all flew a Halifax variant at one point)

408 Sqn. … sqn codes "EQ".  Flew Halifax Mk.II (Dec. '42 to Oct'43. Halifax Mk.III/VII (Sep. '44 to May ''45) with Lancaster Mk.II's filing in the gap (Oct. '43 to Sep. '44).

419 Sqn. … sqn. codes "VR" Flew the Halifax Mk.II (Nov. '42 to Apr. '44), then the Lancaster Mk.X Mar. '44 to Sep. '45.

420 Sqn. … sqn/ codes "PT". Flew the Halifax Mk.III (Dec. '43 to May '45). … just as an aside, according to a member of the wartime groundcrew, the Halifax's were equipped with the Preston-Green ventral turret, rather than H2S.

424 Sqn. … sqn codes "QB".  Flew Halifax Mk.III (Dec. '43 to Jan. '45) with the Lancaster Mk.I/III taking them up to Oct. '45.

425 Sqn. … sqn codes "KW".  Flew Halifax Mk.III (Dec. '43 to May '45), then they fkew the Lancaster Mk.X (May to Sep. '45) not on ops.

426 Sqn. … sqn codes "OW".  Flew Halifax MkIII (Apr to Jun. '44) and the Mk.VII (Jun. '44 to May '45) During 'the period from Dec. '44 to Jun. '54, they also has 5 Mk.III's.  From Jul. to Dec. '45 they flew the Liberator C.Mk.VI and VIII in a transport role.

428 Sqn. … sqn codes "NA".  Flew Halifax Mk.V (Jun. '43 to Jan. '44), Mk.II (Nov. '43 to Jun. '44) and the Lancaster Mk.X took them up to Sep. '45

429 Sqn. … sqn codes ":AL". Flew Halifax Mk.II (Aug. '43 to Jan. '44) and the Mk.V (Nov '43 to Mar.'44).They also flew the Mk.III (Mar. '44 to Mar. '45) with the Lancaster Mk.I/III taking them to Mar. '46.

431 Sqn. … sqn codes "SE". Their Halifax caree saw them fly the Mk.V (Jul. '43 to Apr. '44) and the Mk.III (Mar. to Oct. '44).Again they finished on Lancaster Mk.X's in Sep.'45..

432 Sqn. … sq1n codes "QO".Halifax Mk.III (Feb. to Jul. '44) and the Mk.VII (Jul. '44 to May '45).

433 Sqn. … sqn codes "BM".  Halifax Mk.III (Nov'43 to Jan. '45) and the Lancaster Mk.I/III to Oct. '45.

434 Sqn. … sqn codes "WL).  Halifax Mk.V (Jan. '43 to May '44) and the Mk.III May to Dec. '44, finishing ops on the Lancaster Mk.X in Sep. '45..

The above information is taken from the publication: RCAF Squadrons and Aircraft (S. Kostenuk/J. Griffin)

As you can see, there's lot's of possibilities for RCAF Halifax.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 1

Scott, Chris, thank you both very much. All information is gratefully received.

Just for interest today 427 Sqn report....

14/12/43

Weather: General fog persisting with calm conditions. 

In one of the thickest fogs which we have yet experienced, the environs of Leeming were engulfed in a "pea-souper" which curtailed all unnecessary Talking, let alone, all flying for the day; the fog persisting throughout the day and far into the morning.

It's 0630 here and I'm just in from taking my youngest daughter to work, in the environs of Leeming it's calm, clear with a slight frost. Good day for Halifax work. 

• Like 4