Revell Handley Page Halifax Mk.III

The plan is for the this to be a slow time project done when I am on leave.

It would have been nice to do a 427 Sqn aircraft from Leeming but I'll be using the kit decals for QB-O "Oscar", Skipton on Swale is only about 10 miles south so still close enough for local interest. 

942073-11185-89-720

I'll be adding one or two aftermarket bits and pieces which I'll mention as a I go.

Here's where I am at the moment.

IMG_6562IMG_6560IMG_6558

• Like 25

25 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Watching. I've got a couple of big old WWII bombers that are forever being pushed down the stash. I need some inspiration to do something about it.

Glad to have you along Harry. I've had this kit for awhile now but other projects jumped in front of it. If I hadn't made the decision to make it a long term project doing bits and pieces when I'm at home it may never have got built.

Will watch this with interest as I have one in the stash. Skipton on Swale was only about 3 miles from where Mrs T grew up and one of her friends lived there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Will watch this with interest as I have one in the stash. Skipton on Swale was only about 3 miles from where Mrs T grew up and one of her friends lived there. 

Glad to have another one watching. 🙂

Is Mrs T from Thirsk by any chance? 

59 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice start on the internals and I'll follow along if I may Roger :) 

I built a similar kit last year and had lots of help and background from BMers - might be worth a read?

Thanks Ced and thanks for the link to your build, I'm sure it will help.

18 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I've got so many Halifaxes in my stash (Airfix, Matchbox, Revell-Matchbox, Revell). I really should build at least one of them.

Yes, you should Eric. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Glad to have another one watching. 🙂

Is Mrs T from Thirsk by any chance? 

Baldersby St James and then Rainton, her relatives run the Deershed Festival at Baldersby Park. 

I am tempted to build one of these as a tribute to my late nans cousin who was a Canadian airman for 204 squadron I believe?

He was the tail gunner in a Halifax and fequently came over form Cambridge, Ontario to visit the airfield he was based at up near Lincoln I think?

I could be wrong as the last time I saw him, I was 13 I think?

Looking forward to your build though :)

Roger ...

I’m another ‘watcher’, having got this kit (with many more) in my stash.

One thing, though - can I see a seat lurking in the engineer’s position in your photos?  Only there wasn’t one there in the real Halifax.

Just thought I should mention it ...

Jonny

Watching and making notes.

I am going to build mine as BM-J which my grandfather was Navigator on with 433 RCAF at Skipton-on-Swale.  

If you drive from though the village from the south you can see approximate location of the old airfield from the road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello I think I will look at that. Did a Matchbox and an Airfix one in my past. Nice start. This should be a little more stress free than the MkI/II. Cheers

Thanks, from what I have read online I think you might be right, let's hope so! 🙂

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Baldersby St James and then Rainton, her relatives run the Deershed Festival at Baldersby Park. 

👍 Nice little villages. 

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I am tempted to build one of these as a tribute to my late nans cousin who was a Canadian airman for 204 squadron I believe?

He was the tail gunner in a Halifax and fequently came over form Cambridge, Ontario to visit the airfield he was based at up near Lincoln I think?

I could be wrong as the last time I saw him, I was 13 I think?

Looking forward to your build though :)

Thanks.

I think that would be worth a bit of research, 204 Sqn RAF flew Sunderlands I believe. It would be interesting to find out which Halifax sqn. he was with. 

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Roger ...

I’m another ‘watcher’, having got this kit (with many more) in my stash.

One thing, though - can I see a seat lurking in the engineer’s position in your photos?  Only there wasn’t one there in the real Halifax.

Just thought I should mention it ...

Jonny

Glad to have you along Jonny. Yes, the flight engineers seat caused me to scratch my head a bit. My understanding is that was his usual seat and there was also another folding seat next to the pilot for when he was needed to assist with take off and landing. I could be wrong though as I'm far from an expert. 🙂

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

Ohhhh, the nice radial engined Halifax!

Last time you built a large British bomber I was forced to do a similar one a little later. Let's see how this goes !

Have you got RAF Green and Dark Earth? 😆

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Hold your horses, it's not a Tiffie! Never mind, it's 1/72 and I'm sure you'll do another good build. 

Stuart

Don't worry Stuart, there'll be a Tiffy build (or two) while I'm at work. 😉

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

Watching and making notes.

I am going to build mine as BM-J which my grandfather was Navigator on with 433 RCAF at Skipton-on-Swale.  

If you drive from though the village from the south you can see approximate location of the old airfield from the road.

Glad to have you along too. I keep meaning to take a drive down and pay my respects at the memorial on the village green, perhaps with November just round the corner now would be a good time to do it. A model of BM-J would be a great tribute to a brave man. 

I did notice one of the turkey farms on the old airfield is called Moose Turkey farm, I wonder if that's a reference to 419 Moose Sqn. although to my knowledge they weren't actually based there but nearby at Topcliffe for a time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

6 Group RCAF Halifax squadrons were: 408, 419, 420, 425, 426 & 427 ( I think).  However, plenty of RCAF aircrew flew Halifaxes with 4 Group too.  Any other clues available?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I've spoken to some of my family about this and I now believe it was 405 squadron, with a swordfish as their squadron crest? 

Definitely one to research into though

405 were a Halifax sqn. so that fits. I'm sure I'm not the only one to be interested if you do some research and post your findings. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw this! I've always thought the Halifax was (ultimately, but certainly not at first) the most beautiful of the RAF heavies, and I have two in the stash, so I'll have to follow along with this one to see what I need to know.

• Like 2

I was recently allowed to crawl around the Yorkshire Air Museum Halifax (thanks gents) to compare it to our BBMF Lancaster. There was no seat at the Air Eng position/panel, there was a folding seat adjacent to the pilots position. 

Whilst that's on a reconstructed aircraft, IWM original photos do not show a seat there either.

It wouldn't bother me to be honest and I love the work you're doing with this. It is one of the 8 models I have bought to build after I retire, so I'm watching with interest, good luck Sir!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Just saw this! I've always thought the Halifax was (ultimately, but certainly not at first) the most beautiful of the RAF heavies, and I have two in the stash, so I'll have to follow along with this one to see what I need to know.

Great, I hope this inspires you to get your Halifaxs out of the stash, or one at least. 🙂

17 minutes ago, isaneng said:

I was recently allowed to crawl around the Yorkshire Air Museum Halifax (thanks gents) to compare it to our BBMF Lancaster. There was no seat at the Air Eng position/panel, there was a folding seat adjacent to the pilots position. 

Whilst that's on a reconstructed aircraft, IWM original photos do not show a seat there either.

It wouldn't bother me to be honest and I love the work you're doing with this. It is one of the 8 models I have bought to build after I retire, so I'm watching with interest, good luck Sir!

Thanks, very interesting. I think I'll leave it as it is though. Once it's closed up I don't think anyone will notice. 

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

Beat to it. 👍

1 hour ago, Vicarage Vee said:

415 Sq RCAF?

I'll need to do some further research, but I still believe it was 405 squadron. 

Looking forward to seeing your work though with this Halifax 

• Like 1