Tug S.A. Everard

15 minutes ago, Courageous said:

The plan is to lightly weather the TUG

Oh I don't know Stuart ........ a small drag net over the side and a smattering of seagull s**t and it might just pass as a Trawler!

Love the deck pieces.

Terry

• Haha 2

On 25/05/2019 at 08:23, Terry1954 said:

Oh I don't know Stuart ........ a small drag net over the side and a smattering of seagull s**t and it might just pass as a Trawler!

Speaking of which,  we spent much of Tuesday and Wednesday cleaning the harbour patrol launch. I go down to take her out yesterday to find seagull poop all over her gleaming white superstructure, Not happy! :rant: Off to join Longshanks' bank holiday seagull extermination party. :dalek1:

Martian the Narked 👽

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I believe you, Stuart. ;)

It does, it does. :fight:

Right then, while the thought is in my head, weathering. Having really never weathered, how should I go about this job? I am using a mix of enamels and acrylics, so is it best to put a 'boundary' layer on, then weather? Weather with what; oils, pastels?

Stuart

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

so is it best to put a 'boundary' layer on

In my (very bad) experience with the RAF Sabre that is a must. I'd go for an Acrylic boundary layer, then weather with thinned oils/enamels BUT make absolutely sure no underlying enamel paint gets exposed as it can rub off! Pastels on that as well will work well.

Here speaks a man from bitter experience - I've still not quite got over it as you can tell.

Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I'd go for an Acrylic boundary layer

Would you say that Klear would be sufficient or more like a Tamiya Matt Varnish?

I think your Sabre build has scarred you, hopefully the outward signs will be gone before the Nationals.

Stuart

• Haha 1

Deffo clear boundary coat; I use Tamiya, but only since I don’t really ‘do’ Klear - no reason why it wouldn’t be just as good.  As Terry says, the vital bit is to get really good coverage!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

I think your Sabre build has scarred you, hopefully the outward signs will be gone before the Nationals.

Yes the Sabre experience did scare me, yet I am determined to re-display at the nationals that beast, complete with rectified surface coverage. I hope also to be displaying some other new builds too.

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm back!

Hello my maritime friends, with the shelf queens down to two aircraft and this tug, thought I'd turn my attention back to the tug as I had promised myself that 2022 would be a maritime year.

Remember this:

20211220-174857.jpg

I had to read through the whole thread to refresh myself on where I was and where to go, so with no further ado, onwards.

20211220-174934.jpg

Some giant mushrooms bollards were made.

20211220-174947.jpg

I had given some thought to the wheelhouse and it's windows as I didn't want to make the bulkheads and cut/fit windows. So, using a recent build as an idea (1/76 aircraft refueler) where the cabin was all clear plastic and was masked/painted,  I decided to do the same here. Using clear acetate cut to size, the windows were masked and the parts primed and put aside.

20211220-175028.jpg

This being rather large model and will be going onto a water base, we couldn't have a Mary Celeste so the search was made for some possible 1/100 figures. Deans Marine came up trumps with some 1/96 offerings and here is tug skipper Ahab. He has a few crew to alongside him but they're not brilliant built but with nothing else available, I'll do the best I can.

Stuart

• Like 9

He looks like Winston Churchill!  May he rest in peace. 

Nice model Stuart. Can't wait to see the rest.

I took the opportunity to download the plan which is very interesting with its different configurations.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B32-8ZWvIt6UVE5FWGVpMlRhMms/view?resourcekey=0-zLxJyH_qugMtLK9NrDeLXQ

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

what a resurrection

Needs to be. With very little left on 'the' shelf, I should have no excuses, it'll give me a little refresher before I start the liner.

44 minutes ago, Iceman 29 said:

He looks like Winston Churchill!  May he rest in peace. 

He does indeed but I doubt the man stepped foot on a tug. As for the download, I look forward to a future 3D build :wink:.

15 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I do like a nice Tug!

Now, now, keep it clean :rofl:. As for you getting the Vosper going again, we can but wait but I don't think envy will be the way.

Stuart

• Haha 1

May be he did, virtually? 😂

Collection: Chartwell, Kent (Accredited Museum).

"Evening Departure: Winston Churchill standing on the deck of a tug watching the ship of 'Humanity' sail away"

https://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/1100059

cms_1100059.bro

• Like 1

At the moment I'm looking at navigation lights and have a question for those clever ones among you.

SA-Everard-Funnel-Deck.jpg

This image that was posted very early in the thread shows the starboard(port) being on either side of the wheelhouse. The foremast shows what I presume are masthead steaming light(s). Is this correct, two of them, facing forward?

Next is, where is the stern light, I thought that this would've been fitted at the....er, stern but can't see any where that it can be fitted. Could it be that square-shaped object on the rear of the funnel?

Stuart

15 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Is this correct, two of them, facing forward?

Went straight to my Reeds Skippers Handbook (supposedly qualified but out of practice Day Skipper you see) and the answer wasn't simple!

I'm fairly sure the mast lights are steaming lights and with other lights aboard, used to indicate all manner of ship states (at anchor, moving, towing etc). I agree with the thinking that a stern light should be on the stern, as it would surely need to be furthest back? Is there no clear picture of the whole stern?

There are those far better qualified than me on these matters though, I'm sure advice will come................

Terry

• Like 1

Between 1939 and now the regulations for navigation lights may have changed.

It all depends on the period in which the ship is represented.

Probably at the back of the chimney:

s-l1600.jpg

39701.jpg

851436.jpg

• Like 2

@Terry1954 @Iceman 29 Cheers guys. All stern shots I have seen show no light at the stern, in some cases I have seen rope fenders wrapped around the stern, so not a good place for a light. So, it's still looking like the 'back of the chimney'. The period I'm going is pre-radar fit, like my b&w pic above.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

@Terry1954 @Iceman 29 Cheers guys. All stern shots I have seen show no light at the stern, in some cases I have seen rope fenders wrapped around the stern, so not a good place for a light. So, it's still looking like the 'back of the chimney'. The period I'm going is pre-radar fit, like my b&w pic above.

Stuart

Yes, that will be the stern light on the back of her funnel. Mounted there to keep it out of the way for when she was towing. It looks like it was moved to the short mast some time later in her career, together with a yellow towing light mounted there too.

Nice to see you picking up this build once again - looking forward to seeing it coming along!

Edited by clydesights
  • Thanks 1