Tug S.A. Everard

18 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

They look excellent!

17 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice work and tutorial on how to will make a note of this.

Cheers Steve & Beefy. I wouldn't say excellent but considering I'm a plunge virgin, they'll be ok, always room very improvement in this game. Also to be done on these vents is to put a drill up the pipe to make a hole in the cowls.

Stuart 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, Courageous said:

A steep learning curve for me this week, the making of funnels by learning the dart art of plunge molding. And here is weeks work:

20190118-125058-1.jpg

Great stuff there Stuart! Love it.

Terry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Now those look sweet, can I place an order?

Keb

Cheers Keb. Sorry, shop closed.

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

They definitely look the part.

Cheers John.

Forgot to post this earlier.

20190123-130320-1.jpg

A quick placement of the funnel to see how it looks. The 'funnel' deck still needs some extra stuff in the form of a ladder and davit in this view, a central mast and on the other side, another vent and a marine life raft. 

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Cheers Martian. Wouldn't call it first class but I think I'm improving with this scratch building malarky.

Well it's that time again and I've been titivating with some little bits.

SA-Everard-Funnel-Deck.jpg&key=dfd780304

Items to be done this week were the odd looking vent next to the life-raft canister, life-raft canister, canister cradle and possibly port/ starboard navigation light housings.

20190201-125301-1.jpg

Odd shaped vent made from small diameters of plastic pipe, topped with a shim of plasticard.

20190201-125352-1.jpg

Life-raft canister made from 5mm pipe, milliput ends and tied-up with thin strips of plasticard. A little PPP will be needed to round-off the internal corners to make them look a little neater. 

20190201-125418-1.jpg

Canister cradle made from plasticard that had a 5mm hole drilled into it and cut in half. I may add a horizontal bar at the front and rear between the supports to add a little...something.

20190201-125927-1.jpg

Canister sitting in its cradle.

20190201-130211-1.jpg

Recently made parts in situ to give you an idea.

And...

20190201-125432-1.jpg

...I managed to knock these up, nav light housings...or whatever they are.

What to do next :hmmm:.

The only thing to add to the funnel deck is a mount for the mast and a davit on the port side. I suppose I'll have to turn my attention soon to the wheelhouse, should prove interesting.

Until next time.

Stuart

• Like 10

Cheers Jon, Beefy & Kev.

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Stuart - those vents are a triumph.  I'm going to have to give that a go.

Love the liferaft canister - you're on fire mate!!

Cheers Rob. The vents came out okay but much trial and error had to be done before I was happy. The canister took a little researching as I didn't know what it was called bu T got there in the end, just had to choose the appropriate size for the vessel.

Stuart

• Like 1

Hi all. Been a so-so week and was hoping to be a little further along but little bits...

20190208-141203-1.jpg

Hard to believe that this is a davit and will be positioned on the funnel deck, port side.

20190208-141232-1.jpg

Another unbelievable shot, this time a small angled ladder to gain access to the lifeboat canister.

20190208-141321-1.jpg

Another small ladder that will give access to the engine room.

20190208-141351-1.jpg

Last but not least...another ladder, this time it's the wheelhouse access ladder.

I think I'll have to try and take the pics a little further away so the camera phone can focus properly, then crop in.

Stuart

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

... Another unbelievable shot, this time a small angled ladder to gain access to the lifeboat canister. ...

... Another small ladder that will give access to the engine room. ...

... Last but not least...another ladder, this time it's the wheelhouse access ladder. ...

Climbing up in the world, eh Stuart?

Nice job on those small parts. :yes:

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of update due to impromptu visit to...

20190211-161458.jpg

...yes, Prague. The visit was a request from SWMBO who needed a break to Prague and while walking about I 'stumbled' across MPM's shop :whistle:. Now you would have thought 'kiddie in a sweet shop' but no, it wasn't like our shops...you couldn't touch the boxes, let alone open them :fraidnot::gobsmacked:. Disappointed, I scanned their website for something to buy, no...I wanted to buy something on impulse...no deal, no nothing...except a big bottle of 'duty free' on way back.

This week, my attention drifted to the wheelhouse and it's contents.

20190222-130221-1.jpg

Pics of white plastic don't work very well but the parts are: bottom left is the rudder indicator, above that is the binnacle with bits, the bits in any many cases are painted red & green, don't know what the 'bits' are? At the top are a couple of seat-lockers, to the right are two engine telegraphs, one for each side of the wheelhouse and in the middle is the wheel that 'looks' overly large but isn't which may grab handles added but not sure if my eyesight can take it.

Next week...:hmmm:

Stuart

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

... binnacle with bits, the bits in any many cases are painted red & green ...

Great job on those tiny parts Stuart.

Those bits on the binnacle would be Kelvin's spheres, also known as Kelvin's balls & navigator's balls.  The RCN calls them Nelson's balls named after Horatio Nelson.  They're used to correct the magnetic deviation induced on the compass, caused by all of the various ferromagnetic components on the ship.  We always thought they were painted red & green to remind the Captain which side of the ship was port & which was starboard. :winkgrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Superb!

Cheers Steve, so far I haven't 'soldout' but then again I don't think their is much out there in 1/100 scale that's useful :wink:

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Nelson's balls

Cheers John...obvious to me. I didn't realize how much time is spent making these fiddly bits, it doesn't help when you're running two model benches...

Stuart