Tug S.A. Everard

They must still like you at your ex works when I mentioned that I might stop longer my boss went a very pale colour in the face thought he was going to have a heart attack not sure why.  :shrug:

They seem like very muted colours you would have thought that they would have been a more stand out bright colour as a recognition thing looking good though Stuart.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

They must still like you at your ex works

I think I left a bit of a hole when I left 'cos they were asking a lot of work related questions, so much so that their boss was thinking of getting me back on a consultancy basis. "B***er that" I said to myself.

Yes, muted colours and yes, I too thought that something more noticeable would have been the order of the day.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have been playing around with oils...

20220114-103435.jpg

In collaboration with our friendly @robgizlu who has been helping me with weathering, starting with the deck. Here I've used  Abteilung 502 Starship Grime Oils around the wooden deck and bulwarks. Looks just about right to me.

20220114-103606.jpg

I have never weathered black, so I approached this area with some trepidation. After practicing on an old night fighter aircraft, I decided to use Abteilung 502 Neutral Grey to knock back the black and Industrial Earth on top of that. This subtlety toned the black/grey and made the white markedly weathered. I was tempted to try a little rust but decided against it.

I have painted the wood effect around the windows and doors on the cabin structure and waiting for it to dry enough before I vanish it, then remove the window masks.

Stuart

• Like 13

A little update for you.

20220115-165620.jpg

Spent a little time adding the bits n bobs around the deck; posts, bollards, davit post and the anchor windlass. That windlass measures about 10mm square and is quite impressive looking.

20220115-180419.jpg

Wheelhouse demasked and with light from the right direction you can see most of the interior, even the dude at the wheel.

Stuart

• Like 10

I have no life rings, so I need to make some.

20220117-115532.jpg

I was hoping that I could knock these out using RP's tap & die set but unfortunately, the biggest hole I could make is 4.5mm, good enough for the centres but not the outers. So, I scribed a 6mm circle using a template.

20220117-121412.jpg

With a bit of cutting and sanding, we get these. Good enough for government work.

20220117-132224.jpg

All painted up.

20220117-134333.jpg

Starboard side was fitted out with its life raft canister and cradle, starboard nav light and a life ring.

20220117-134353.jpg

Port nav light and life ring.

20220117-134445.jpg

And 2 more life rings at the back of the wheelhouse.

Stuart

• Like 8

On making rings - rap plastic rod around a suitable metal former - I use the shank of a larger enough drill bit. Tape it in place and pour boiling water over it, then cold water. Cut this "spring" into single rings. I used this to make the mine sweeping winches for my 1/72nd Flower build -

37680277932_a24db52177.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Will @Killingholme, I try.

Well Rob @robgizlu, I took a look at pictures, scaled them and looked at my build...nah :fraidnot:, they'd be 0.25mm and with the work I done last night, I couldn't get to 2 of the rings. Better luck next time.

20220118-113625.jpg

Last night I fitted the funnel in its place and this morning, the mushroom and cowl vent. :yes:

20220118-115523.jpg

A little later it was time to fit the remaining cowl vents, mast and engine room davit.

This assembly is nearly ready to be fitted until I realised that I still need to make another smaller cowl vent, a number of exhaust pipes, a horn...

Stuart

• Like 8

On 1/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, robgizlu said:

OOh Yeah Baby!!

Don't get too excited Rob.

More tinkering...

20220120-104739.jpg

Fitted the anchor and its chain.

20220120-104753.jpg

Another view of the chain. :yes:

20220120-125936.jpg

Had completely forgotten about the port holes until I consulted my book :doh:. Port hole metalwork were painted with a 50/50 mixture of a medium brown and gold. Windows painted MRP Insignia Blue and dab of gloss in the middle.

20220120-135919.jpg

And last thing to be done before the cabin structure is fitted, is the fitting of 'must haves'...tyres from the spares box.

Stuart

• Like 8

Getting nearly at endgame.

20220121-120023.jpg

A ladder, a step and a few exhaust pipes fitted.

20220121-120009.jpg

Horn, foremast, cowl vent and a couple of exhausts fitted.

20220122-161730.jpg

Wheelhouse ladder and aerials fitted.

I THINK, all that now needs to be made, painted and fitted, are the athwartships rails that protect the engine room and aft. Oh, the figs. Oh, and the base.

Stuart

• Like 8

Coming along splendidly Stuart. You might have covered it before, but what do the funnel markings indicate? It looks like a signal flag (but checked those and no) so I thought maybe some sort of tugboat company mark?

Terry

This is the logo of a shipping company:

F.T.Everard & Sons Ltd., London 

sanguity-jpg.4644

They had quite a few ships:

F.T. Everard & Sons Ltd.

gb~everd.gif

The flag is quartered per saltire red and white.

The flag of F.T. Everard is like that of the Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corporation, one of the major High Street banks in the UK, with quarters reversed.
Ron Lahav, 17 March 2004

F.T. Everard has no association with the Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corporation. It is an international and multinational private company based in Britain.
Mike Nancollas, 2 September 2005

The Swire group also has a connection with Hong Kong and a similar flag, differing only by a vertical blue stripe in the middle of the flag. See this page for reference.

https://www.fotw.info/flags/gb~hfen.html

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/threads/f-t-everard-and-sons-ltd.3966/

https://www.google.com/search?q=F.T.Everard %26 Sons Ltd.%2C London&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:Cdmfqp4VK1UoYZvb6uHBac5nsgIMCgIIABAAOgQIABAA&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0CAIQrnZqFwoTCODyyIXyx_UCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAM&biw=1245&bih=1236

Screenshot-2022-01-23-13-42-19-274.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

what do the funnel markings indicate?

Cheers Terry. I hadn't mentioned it during the thread, so I thought I'd do a bit of digging. I originally got the idea of Everard from Bob who built merchant ships on BM a few years ago but he didn't mention much except that it was an emblem. Further searching found this: https://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/Everard Line.html

HTH 

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1