Tug S.A. Everard

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

keep it coming.

I'll try my best Mr B.

4 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Now we just have to get your head around wood and aluminium, plating so much better in 4 thou ali :hmmm:

Thanks for you comments Steve, much appreciated. I'm afraid the closest I'll be getting to your world with be brass/aluminium sheet/tubing, nice try though.

With the posting of better images, thought I'd better take stock and start to make a list of things to do.

20211222-165733.jpg

The first thing was the remaking of the bollards as the previous ones were too skinny, happy now. Not sure what these crossed posts are actually called but I noticed that old tyres were hung from some sort of post, so I knocked-up a few, just got to crop the horizontals when dry.

20211222-165540.jpg

After the help with Nav lights recently, I decided to get these done. In the front we have the port/stbd lights and although the lens colours will be red/green, I'm not sure as to what the colour of their box mounts are, sort that later. The stern light was mounted on the rear of the chimney. The masthead lights were fitted together with the thinner top section that the aerial hangs from.

20211222-170021.jpg

To end the session I decided to mark and drill the locations for the five horizontal bars that run athwartships, presumably these bars are to protect the tug's topside when it's towing(?)

The next area for some attention is the bow that has a few bits on it; a smaller/taller cowl vent, an anchor windless, an anchor, a davit for the anchor, another big post on the pointy bit. When they are done, I can them painted and fitted before looking at the cabin and stuff.

Stuart

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Cracking clean work

For the time being, after all, its a tug. The 1/72 builds were training for the eyes and fingers, this build is 1/100 and the next will be 1/350.

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

love your use of naval/marine terminology.

I think I was doing okay until Pascal said 'back of the chimney' :giggle:

Hectic day getting the last of the Christmas food, so not much time at the bench.

20211223-185628.jpg

Got the easier bits done like the bow post and anchor davit. Tried a number of times to make anchor but failed. Also tried to do something about an anchor windlass using very small parts from a watch but that didn't work either, @longshanks Kev's idea of covering it with a tarpaulin was lookin' good but then a light bulb moment :idea:. Could I use some 3D printed options that I had acquired from Pascal @Iceman 29 for my 1/350 liner build? So out came the smallest anchor and that looked good. Out came the smallest anchor windlass, it had a slightly larger footprint than that of the deck plan but looked great  when placed in its position. So, out came the primer everything was primed and I was very impressed with these 3D printed parts :yes:.

Stuart 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

With merriment been and gone, normality resumes and I can have MY time back.

20220104-131712.jpg

With what little time I did get, I turned my attention to wheelhouse painting. Floor was painted RN antifouling red from Colourcoats, bench seat lockers painted brown with some nice green covers and engine telegraphs were painted up all nice and pretty. Once I was happy with their location, they were glued down.

20220104-131751.jpg

The ships wheel, its support were painted light brown and oiled with burnt umber. The tugs binnacle was also painted up and ensuring that the right colour was in the right place, these too were stuck down.

20220104-132621.jpg

The aft wall and the window inner faces were all painted wood effect and for a preview, I placed the aft wall in its position, added a battered bookcase (minus books), you get the picture. I could mark the door frames on that aft wall section but I'm not sure that I can be bothered.

20220104-132940.jpg

And as a parting shot for the day, I parked the 'assy' in its proper place with wood effect walls...nice and cosy. I think I've already gone OTT with this wheelhouse but I've decided to add a helmsman, so he'll need painting up.

Chow for now and happy New Year to you all

Stuart

• Like 8

Happy New Year Stuart.

Nice wheelhouse work there and I like that earlier winch work as well. All very convincing.

Those little folk look rather splendid. I'm guessing that in 1/100, they still hold a pretty fine amount of detail?

Terry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Happy New Year

And to you and yours, hope all is getting better with the old pins.

The wheelhouse was fun. Can't lay any claim to the winch, that and the anchor and loads of other stuff are Pascal's @Iceman 29 work. They were/are destined for my next build but made use of a few bits here. The 'little folk' are holding detail, especially the captain, the other dudes are a little skinnier. Can't complain, I was lucky to find figs that were close to 1/100, they being 1/96.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Courageous said:

hope all is getting better with the old pins.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately hospitals full of (largely unvaccinated) Covid cases, are having a serious impact on treatment down here. I'm still waiting for a date for my Op, but I don't go on about it ............. oops I just did!

Hopefully I'll be back to normal sometime soon in terms of being able to get about more. No impact on modelling though, which is the key thing.

Terry

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Grumpy Captain! 😂

Old men are grumpy I have been told.

20220107-144607.jpg

Helmsman at his post and windows in place and drying.

20220107-150615.jpg

Wheelhouse roof fitted. Joints tidied up but primer will show more no doubt.

20220107-145759.jpg

Bits 'n' bobs painted.

After priming, and sorting out any faults, it'll be time to think about painting.

Stuart

• Like 7

After a power outage yesterday, I had a catastrophic event with the spray booth not working. It was the plug-in power supply, I paid a visit to the ex-workplace and fortunately they were able to put their hands onto another suitable PSU.

20220110-174722.jpg

What few colour photos, exist of the period I'm doing, the light areas were an off white or cream colour, so I chose a Linen colour from Colourcoats. The rest of the cabin structure was a brown colour, so opted for a red brown from Tamiya. The wheelhouse window frames and doors were natural wood and were also based with Linen before applying brunt umber oil to get the wood effect.

Stuart 

• Like 2