Tug S.A. Everard

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Looks like new!

I assure you Mr Kev that looks are deceiving, their are ripples and dents that I'm hoping that the paint will pick, I'm going to try my hand at weathering the old girl, that'll be interesting.

I was hoping to get the scuppers done today but some prat left his pin vice at home. I have noticed that I need to add a raised section to the forward bulwarks and mustn't forget the wrap-around bumper strip.

Stuart

• Like 2

Thought I'd do a little update as I'm out tonight for a few beers.

20190503-131221-1.jpg

Scuppers in using a 1.5mm drill and scalpel. A quick lick of Tamiya thin cement due to some small fractures. When dry, I'll sand the holes.

Next weeks to do list on the hull:

Raised  bulwark sections at the bow.

Add square section rod on the pointy bit of the bow.

Add 'bumper strip' around the hull.

Stuart

• Like 8

Little bits of plastic added.

20190509-130141-1.jpg

Extensions added to forward bulwarks. Extra plastic added to the pointy bit and bumper strip also added. Just a little bit of filler, sanding and then it'll get a little blow of primer.

Next, I've got to decide if I paint the hull or wait until I've finished with the deck. :hmmm:

Stuart

• Like 8

Looks excellent . . 

Painting . . .

I try and keep as much as possible inside the bulwarks as sub assemblies until painting. Once the inside is finished and before fixing I cover the deck area and then paint the hull.

HTH put your thoughts in order

Kev

• Like 1

Cheers Kev.

I tend to agree. The only thing that I'm contemplating is the fitting or not...

20181108-130141-1.jpg&key=e1c95ce4bf8660

...of the shaped wooden decks I made early in the build.

Question, the aft emergency tiller. Was the tiller fitted permanently or was the handle stowed somewhere :shrug:?

Stuart

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

.of the shaped wooden decks I made early in the build.

Presumably they fit around accommodation so can't you fix them at the end. A lot easier to paint off the boat

Question, the aft emergency tiller. Was the tiller fitted permanently or was the handle stowed somewhere :shrug:?

Only fitted when required, normally a circular plate which is removed to expose a nut at the top of the rudder shaft. Normally it would be stowed in/on brackets around the aft end of the accommodation. Don't put it anywhere where a rope / tow wire might snag it

HTH

Kev

• Like 2

On 5/9/2019 at 10:53 PM, longshanks said:

A lot easier to paint off the boat

After some sagely advice, I'm a little further down the road.

20190514-184721-1.jpg

Their are very few colour references of 'Everard' and the one I've decided to use shows the inner bulwarks as being a red-brown, so the bulwarks and deck have been painted with enamel Antifouling Red from Colourcoats. Not seen clearly here is the 'capping' for the emergency tiller that is located on the aft deck. The shaped decking is being painted off-camera and will be fitted after the hull has been finished being painted.

Next, a little masking before I paint the outer bulwarks.

Slow progress I know but their is competition for the spray booth. 

Stuart

• Like 10

Cheers Murdo and Rob, must be doing something right.

Anyhoo, a little update.

20190517-173751-1.jpg

After painting the deck. it was time to tackle the hull. The deck was masked as were the 'holes' and the bulwarks were painted white. When dry, 1mm masking strips were added along the top and bottom of the bulwarks and satin black applied overall. De-masked, et voila.

Next, I'll apply a coat of Future, ready for adding decals.

Stuart

• Like 13

This has been a holiday week and most of it has been spent outside digging up tree roots! The other-half is out for the day, so I thought I'd spend at least the morning in the cave.

20190524-091535-1.jpg

The decal bank was raided to find 4,8 & 12in white letters from Model Decal. In this case, 8in were used for the 'S A EVERARD'...

20190524-091544-1.jpg

...and here I have used the 4in at the stern. Their should be full-stops like this 'S.A.' but I think I'll leave it alone as these would be very small and I'd mess it up. It doesn't look much cutting out, fitting and aligning individual decals is a pita, just like stencils, and I hate stencils.

Next, I'll turn my attention back to the wooden deck areas. I have painted these already; a light grey, a black wash and a bit of weathering but didn't think it would get to that state being on boat, it surely would be more 'woody' and be more looked after.

Stuart

• Like 9

This has been a holiday week and most of it has been spent outside digging up tree roots!

I know the feeling! I fully retired at the start of May and I've done nothing but DIY and garden jobs! Am getting some bench time though so not so bad.

The tug is looking splendid Stuart, especially that deck colour and the lettering. Quite fancy trying a tug myself one day!

Terry

16 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

The tug is looking splendid Stuart, especially that deck colour and the lettering. Quite fancy trying a tug myself one day!

Cheers Terry, happy retirement. As to you fancy a tug build, may I suggest we clear the subjects in the signature first. :whistle:

Stuart

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Well worth the effort, your lettering/tug is looking good 

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Your hull is looking brilliant Stuart, if the uppers are as good, & I'm confident they will be, this will be a little jewel.  :)

Cheers Kev, Cheers Steve, much appreciated.

20190524-170817-1.jpg

Decks done. Base coat was Valejo Iraqi Sand and when dry, a coat W&N Burnt Umber went over the top and was knocked back with a damp brush that was dipped in white spirit. I'm happy with them.

Next, when dry, the decks will be fitted into place, then it'll be :hmmm:.....................most probably fitting of bollards. I've still got to make the capstan and bow davit as yet.

Stuart 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

do laminate flooring by any chance 

Cheers Beefy, it has been known but not in this scale.

Cheers Kev. Cheers Geoff.

2 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Will it be a clean trawler 

Cheers for the praise KM. The plan is to lightly weather the TUG as i've done very little weathering, less is more.

Stuart

• Like 1