Tug S.A. Everard

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is all starting to look rather impressive.

Cheers Martian, I do try.

14 hours ago, longshanks said:

You'll probably find it easier with plastic card, being stiffer.

If I might suggest, get the bottom right first. You can leave the top slightly high, after fixing you can gently sand down to the bulwarks.

27 minutes ago, longshanks said:

All tugs have a ' bumper strip ' around the hull. This is level with the deck and might give you a step to rest your work on.

Cheers Kev, all help appreciated. The paper bulwark template will be used to make plastcard items and agree to getting the bottom right first. To help with the bulwark bonding to the deck, back in post #22, I added a thinner second deck that was slightly smaller which will give the bulwark something to sit on. The 'bumper strip' would then hide whatever sins their may be.

Stuart

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I'm missing my "Fix"...........

Thanks Rob, sometimes one needs a little nudge. My excuse reason for the lack of progress was that I was on holiday in the garden, got blisters!

All being well, I should have something to show later in the week.

Stuart

• Like 2

Well it was back to work and the lunchtime tug project and it was time to tackle those bulwarks. Back in post #121, paper templates were made to then be transferred onto plasticard but unfortunately, for one reason and another they didn't work very well. I think that it was down to the lack of strength in the support-deck join, so plan 'B'.

20190411-121241-1.jpg

Although not very clear, I decided to produce the bulwarks with thinner plastic of about 25mm lengths, laid end-to-end like bricks. Plasticard re-enforcement was added between the supports with the same thinner plasticard

20190411-125945-1.jpg

After a few lunchtimes...

20190412-125916-1.jpg

Nearly there but I'm not looking forward to the back-end, that'll be a 'pita'. It's not perfect by any means but better than my plan 'A' and some cosmetic work will need to be done.

Stuart

• Like 8

Sideways question.

Does the Everard tug have any relationship to the set of Thames barges built for any operated by the Everards, the only one of which I understand to still exist is Will Everard, now known simply as Will, based in St. Catherine's Dock and modelled (if you can use that term) by Billings. I know, I bought one with the idea of turning it into Thistle (Top Sail, Maldon), but gave up as I just couldn't get it to work. The plastic parts in the Billings kit are crude and vastly overscaled and the scaling of the whole kit seemed wrong. I haven't got the skill or patience to do what you're doing and think you deserve all credit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

More than one way to skin a cat . . .

Indeed.

37 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

think you deserve all credit.

Thanks. As to your 'sideways question', I'm not sure. All my reference is from here:

http://riverthames.sosugary.org/albums/userpics/normal_005.JPG

At some stage she was renamed as Hasel, so, on the same website, you can search for Hazel for more recent photos.

Stuart

Re Everard, I've found this on a Newbury Diesel Company web page about F.T. Everard, so the tug has got a family connection to the barges

"With the introduction of the Sirron L and F range of engines in 1937, they were initially installed in MV Serenity and MV Signality and the range included 4F engines for the converted sail barges, MV Fred Everard and MV Alf Everard. An 8L engine was also  supplied for the Thames tug SA Everard. This tug was originally designed for a 7L but this engine was used in MV Sodality built in 1938 and so the more powerful 8L was used instead. The number at the front of the engine designation indicates the number  of cylinders. As the engine design was modular, adding or reducing the number of cylinders was fairly simple design wise."

Also found this - is that your tug?

greenhithe-yard-01.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slower pace on the old tug due reading a good book in the sunshine.

20190425-124740-1.jpg

Bulwarks are eventually on although a bit scappy in places, back-end was a pita, ho-hum.

20190426-131519-1.jpg

Bulwark top rail now on.

20190426-131519-1-1.jpg

...and with that, I can now think about cutting slots the 'side drains' (or whatever they're called). Then, it'll be tidying-up exercise before moving on.

Stuart

• Like 10

Cheers Kev.

Thee old tugs do look rather scrappy for the workhorses they are. As things move forward towards paint and it being a workhorse, i'll need to weather the thing, something i've never done on this genre.

Stuart

• Like 1

Good work! We have a couple of well dinged and weathered tugs down near where the MVS launch is moored. I can get you a few pictures when I am down there if it would help.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 4

On 4/27/2019 at 10:06 AM, Terry1954 said:

Looking good Stuart. Get those scuppers in!

Cheers Terry, all in good time. I think it's about time we saw some of your work, you're meant to be retired you know.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1