Tug S.A. Everard

58 minutes ago, blackmme said:

I do apologise for the rather intermittent comm’s life is as ever rather hectic!

I WILL dig out the photos and draw a diagram or two....

Regards Mike

Glad to see you back Mike. Photos and diagrams will be great, the windlass and the wheelhouse are the most important but will be grateful of everything that you can supply.

Stuart

Snatched a bit of time during my lunch breaks.twill most probably need a little 'tarting up' when a layer of primer goes on.

20190103-130545-1.jpg

Access hatch area to aft accommodation done.

20190103-130945-1.jpg

A section of 15mm copper pipe was squashed into shape and cut to length, a little under scale but it'll have to do.

Moving along albeit slowly.

Stuart

• Like 4

Got a little bit done during the week, book reading taking over a little.

20190111-130330-1.jpg

A little 'fluff' added to the rear hatches; hinges and handles.

20190111-130430-1.jpg

A bit of work on the funnel cap.

20190111-130456-1.jpg

Funnel placed in its location, looking good. Also added here is the Emergency Engine Room hatch on its runners with the location marks for the ventilation funnels.

Stuart

• Like 7

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Taking shape :thumbsup:

Cheers Kev.

20 minutes ago, Jase said:

i doe some scratch building within a kit build but never done a full scratch build, inspiring stuff

Cheers Jase. Like you, I've done little scratches here and there, then I upped the game slightly with scratching a Buccaneer cockpit (minus seats) and wheel wells and now this. This is a pre-cursor to scratching the SS Fushimi Maru, a small Japanese liner, after that...God knows.

Stuart

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Any clue as to what that 'vent' is near the white life raft?? Shape of top?

Looks to me like a cowl vent has been replaced. You can see it matches the position on the other side. The vent shape is how you see it. Two tubes top flat. The actual vent is a mesh covered hole cut in the side of the top tube approx a quarter of the diameter and half/three quarters of the height. The top could rotate as per the cowl type. HTH. If you still struggling let me know and I'll try and find a pic. Can't think what they are called

Keep meaning to ask what scale are you working at?

Kev

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Keep meaning to ask what scale are you working at?

Thanks Kev. Ok, round top box with a meshed whole. A little confused about size & shape of whole so if you can draw a pic or something that would be great. As to scale, 1:100.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Slightly different version but very suitable for your purposes

Thanks for that Kev, looks good to work with but would the vent be open at the top as indicated? My earlier photo shows something going on with the side of the top part as you suggest in your earlier post?

Stuart

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

but would the vent be open at the top as indicated?

Missed that, rather defeats the object. The ones I've seen would only draw the air in from under the mushroom. I have seen pics of them with a wheel on the top, presumable to shut the vent some how

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

as you suggest in your earlier post?

I can't find any pics of that type. The only place I know there is a pic is in John Lamberts Allied Coastal Forces. In the section on US Navy Sub Chasers. Not got access to my copy at the moment.

Kev

• Like 1

Stuart

You were asking about pictures of the windlass a while back. Came across these today and thought they might help.

They are from a TID tug built during WWII at 70 foot long I thought they would be the size style you're looking for

16681581_1559187830761413_689260299532385252_n

15380803_1484243751589155_2813850557684481395_n

15319279_1484243778255819_2766153577303078528_n

HTH

Kev

• Like 6

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

You were asking about pictures of the windlass a while back

Thanks for that Kev, much appreciated. Due to the fact that I haven't found anything better than your searches, I reckon I'll run with this. The thing is, 'Everard' was never fitted with anchors and this is an anchor windlass, so would they've fitted something generic like this or something else that would haven't to worry about anchors?

Stuart

22 minutes ago, Courageous said:

The thing is, 'Everard' was never fitted with anchors and this is an anchor windlass, so would they've fitted something generic like this or something else that would haven't to worry about anchors?

I guess it's really up to you and your feelings. Lets not forget you're modelling and having fun On a subject like this there are no kits therefore no rivet counters.

Having said that the TIDs were not 'fitted' with anchors. From what I can find out an anchor was carried on deck and a small davit (removable) used to lift it outboard.

Last point I would make from a professional perspective. These boats operated in the River Thames with currents up to 8 knots. There is no way I would want to be out there on a boat that could not be restrained if the engine failled .

image-80d286fa

IMG_1198a

The windlass would be seldom used and it's likely they were protected from the elements with a canvas cover

HTH

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

I guess it's really up to you and your feelings. Lets not forget you're modelling and having fun On a subject like this there are no kits therefore no rivet counters.

You're diamond Kev, I agree with everything you say and basically, it's up to me. I'd like to attempt something and if it doesn't 'fly', I'll throw a tarp' over it.

Thanks again Kev for you're help.

Stuart

• Like 1

You're welcome Stuart, don't forget this is your first scratch build and what you've achieved is remarkable. It's finding the balance between copying the original and enjoying your modelling. You mentioned at the beginning this was a learning curve for your next build and that's how it should be for any build be it kit or scratch. We all loose sight of the fact that were posting our creations on the big screen. I use a 15" laptop and my dinghy shows at three times actual size. Whereas a model should be viewed at a distance. I saw a formula once for the ratio  between scale and viewing distance, of course I can't find it now.

So  ends today's sermon and soap box chopped up for fire wood

Keep up the good work

Kev

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

You're welcome Stuart, don't forget this is your first scratch build and what you've achieved is remarkable. It's finding the balance between copying the original and enjoying your modelling. You mentioned at the beginning this was a learning curve for your next build and that's how it should be for any build be it kit or scratch. We all loose sight of the fact that were posting our creations on the big screen. I use a 15" laptop and my dinghy shows at three times actual size. Whereas a model should be viewed at a distance. I saw a formula once for the ratio  between scale and viewing distance, of course I can't find it now.

So  ends today's sermon and soap box chopped up for fire wood

Keep up the good work

Kev

Wise words - how about I get some T-shirts made up ;)

Actually I'm being flippant - they really are wise words

Rob:blush:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A steep learning curve for me this week, the making of funnels by learning the dart art of plunge molding. And here is weeks work:

20190118-125058-1.jpg

The cowl vents need to have a intake flare of 7mm, be 7mm deep and mate with a 5mm plastic pipe. Because I'm doing this at work, I didn't have the luxury of an oven but I did have a heat gun, 8mm wood dowel, various thicknesses of plasticard, all I needed now is the right mix. After much trial and error, and plastic wastage, I turned out three funnels that look like they'll do the job. All I need to do is whittle at them so they are the right depth, a little PPP and a little sanding.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 9