Tug S.A. Everard

Some progress for chaps.

20181120-154857.jpg

Galley boxed in.

20181120-154907.jpg

Engine room (aft) also boxed in.

20181120-154931.jpg

Here we have the deck plan in place with the upper works also in its basic position.

That's it for this week as I'm off to York for a few days.

Stuart

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Some progress for chaps.

20181120-154857.jpg

Galley boxed in.

20181120-154907.jpg

Engine room (aft) also boxed in.

20181120-154931.jpg

Here we have the deck plan in place with the upper works also in its basic position.

That's it for this week as I'm off to York for a few days.

Stuart

That is coming along rather well hope you enjoy your break in York 

beefy 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report. Time to 'road test' a new piece of weaponry recently acquired at SMW (much to answer to that place :yahoo:)

20181130-124012.jpg

Thought I'd try out the new punch and die set on this build for...portholes. I banged out a dozen 4.5mm discs, put a 3.4mm punch through the centres of the discs and some 'washers' aka portholes, well chuffed.

20181130-125713-1.jpg

Stuck one of the 'washers' on the galley wall, look okay to me. Also this week I knocked up that little 'lean to'. Not to sure what it is as the plans do not name it, does not show any doors, they just show circles (portholes) on the sloped roof. This 'lean to' is right above the fwd accommodation, so I can only think of them as skylights. Also seen is a door that gives access to Lamp Room, the one on the port gives access to lower deck and galley. Done a little PPP and sanding on the joints.

Until next time.

Stuart

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

20181130-124012.jpg

Thought I'd try out the new punch and die set on this build for...portholes. I banged out a dozen 4.5mm discs, put a 3.4mm punch through the centres of the discs and some 'washers' aka portholes, well chuffed.

Well chuffed indeed I reckon Stuart. They look the biz. I've considered purchasing this punch and die stuff, and this has illustrated yet another excellent justification.  I can feel a set incoming!

Terry

End of another week and time for a progress update.

20181206-124335-1.jpg

On a  bit of a roll with the making of portholes, so I made a couple of smaller ones, albeit a little over size, that are used as the fwd accommodation skylight.

20181206-124400-1.jpg

Next, i moved onto the portholes located above the engine room.

20181207-155755-1.jpg

An here, we have the makings of the aft tow hook position. Upon reflection, I think that this aft cabin is lower than it should but it's too late to do anything about in now.

Chow for now

Stuart

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Upon reflection, I think that this aft cabin is lower than it should but it's too late to do anything about in now.

Why to late it is still in a naked state you could always add some shimms around the edge to add a little hight to it

looks to be coming along a treat there Stuart keep plugging away mate following and taking notes  :popcorn:

beefy

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Why to late it is still in a naked state you could always add some shimms around the edge to add a little hight to it

looks to be coming along a treat there Stuart keep plugging away mate following and taking notes  

Cheers Beefy. I suppose you're tight. I've since found some photo's of Everard showing a bit more detail than what's shown in the plans.

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Echo Beefy's comments there Stuart, she's coming along really well. Love those port holes!

Cheers Terry, got to make use of the expensive porthole tool.

Stuart

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The end of a couple days at work and this gave me a little time to work on the tug.

The first thing to be done (after a little persuasion from @beefy66), was to correct the cabin height, just aft of the sloped engine room.

20181228-125645-1.jpg

The aft section was raised to the correct height, a square bit of plasticard was added to represent the engine room hatch. Next was to tackle the aft tow hook that was made from metal wire. Still to be added aft of this section is the access to the rear accommodation.

20181228-125654-1.jpg

Here is the main tow hook.

Stuart

• Like 7

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Looking as neat and tidy as ever

Cheers Rob. I do find this build painfully slow as i can only do it during my lunch hour but it is good fun, constantly thinking outside the box to solve problems. I feel the biggest problem that I'm yet to face is the capstan/ windlass that's mounted on the foredeck that I have no clue as to what it looks like.

Stuart

On 29/12/2018 at 07:46, Courageous said:

... the biggest problem that I'm yet to face is the capstan/ windlass that's mounted on the foredeck that I have no clue as to what it looks like.  ...

Hi Stuart.

Have you seen these photos?  Not sure if the windlass shown are the same as on the Everard, but they are from the same era.

https://www.forces.net/news/steam-tug-celebrates-90th-birthday-royal-navy-salute

http://www.hobbiesguinea.es/en/caldercraft-naval-models/756-caldercraft-7003-marie-felling-old-harbour-steam-tug-length-1105-mm-complete-assembly-kit-box-rc-suitable.html

http://www.hobbiesguinea.es/756-1464-thickbox/caldercraft-7003-marie-felling-old-harbour-steam-tug-length-1105-mm-complete-assembly-kit-box-rc-suitable.jpg

John

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Have you seen these photos?  Not sure if the windlass shown are the same as on the Everard, but they are from the same era.

Cheers John. No I haven't and yes they are from the same era but unfortunately that is an 'anchor' windlass/ capstan and I've seen nothing to suggest that Everard had anchors. I'm hoping that @blackmme will show up as he has had personnel connection to that tug or @ShipbuilderMN as he's already built it.

Stuart 

• Like 1