Mosquito FBVI, 1 Squadron RAAF *Finished*

Beard

As my other builds approach the finish line, it's time to start another.

I'll be using this kit:

20181025_184622

with the transfers from the Airfix kit

20181025_184236

To do this:

3918712.JPG

Here's the obligatory sprue shot:

20181025_184641

Edited by Beard
  • Like 8

On 10/26/2018 at 7:39 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Simon

A RAAF Mosquito that is a great idea for this Gb ..

Cheers

Patrice

Thanks Patrice.

45 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cool option to pick. Nice one 😀 

With all your entries in this GB you are making me feel like a slacker!! 

I look forward to your progress.

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg. Quantity over quality is my motto.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Spent the weekend in Worthing, visiting relatives, didn't get to the model shop (boo) or the guitar shop (boo) but did visit a few puns and had a very.nice Bangladeshi curry (hurrah!).

Done some work on the Mosque this afternoon...

Painted the undercarriage bays:

20181028_180110

Finished the cockpit:

20181028_173521

20181028_202749

Joined the fuselage halves:

20181028_203450

I've also glued the wings together and will get started on the undercarriage tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Looking good,

It appears to have the same level of details as the 1/48 version, which is great in this scale. 

Might have to consider getting one of these..

Cheers Greg 😀

13 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good,

It appears to have the same level of details as the 1/48 version, which is great in this scale. 

Might have to consider getting one of these..

Cheers Greg 😀

Thanks Greg. It's about the best 1/72 Mosquito we have.

Some glue and a canopy mask...

2018-10-29_08-38-44

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GREG DESTEC said:

What are you doing for the silver paint/finish? Since Mosquitos were wooden I hadn't thought about that before!  

I haven't decided myself yet! It'll, almost certainly, have a black undercoat followed by either Tamiya Flat Aluminium or Metalcote Aluminium. Possibly a mixture of both.

• Like 3

I've started the painting - using Humbrol Metalcote 20001 - but have found some seams that need attention.

2018-11-04_04-39-05

I'm going to use Metalcote 20002 for the metal bits, hopefully it'll had some tonal variation.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

and I've lost count as to which build number this one is....

but very nice to see a Mosquito in the build, for some reason I really hadn't expected to see one, so super nice you've chosen to build one.

I see you're off to a flying start, well done, I look froward to seeing her in the gallery fairly shortly.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 3:35 AM, trickyrich said:

and I've lost count as to which build number this one is....

but very nice to see a Mosquito in the build, for some reason I really hadn't expected to see one, so super nice you've chosen to build one.

I see you're off to a flying start, well done, I look froward to seeing her in the gallery fairly shortly.

I've finished 5 and have 4 on the go and it's nice that someone is pleased with my choice.

Some progress with the painting, I think it's nearly ready for a gloss coat.

2018-11-11_04-32-12

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, trickyrich said:

you are choosing some nice aircraft to build and not just the same as everyone else either, great job.

Thanks Rich, trouble is I'm running out of aircraft to do... I may have to make an order from Hannants soon.

Anyway, transfers on:

2018-11-13_09-26-41

(Yes, I did notice that the bomb-carrying insect is in the wrong place, it's now being rectified but I've learnt not to slavishly follow Airfix's instructions.)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Since my last post I've made some progress. The topsides have had a matt coat, the canopy.has been unmasked (I'm not very happy with the result, I also forgot to paint the interior frames), installed the undercarriage and drop tanks (pinched from an Airfix kit until i can get my hands on some Red Roo ones).

Anyway, here she is:

2018-11-17_07-10-16

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

I agree, nice to see an Aussie Mossie on here. I know there’s a whole bunch of hairy stick painters about, however I can honestly recommend Tamiya’s AS12 Airframe Silver straight out of the rattle can to achieve an excellent silver finish. Silver has to be one of the hardiest paints to brush paint (not forgetting white, yelllow and for me any other colour!) but you’ll be glad you’ve gone there and it’ll save heaps of time as well. 

Anyway - another great subject on display here by the prolific Beard. Good going... 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Anyway - another great subject on display here by the prolific Beard. Good going..

Thanks Dave, both for the compliment and the recommendation but shouldn't you be getting on with some modelling, rather than hanging around on here? 😉

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thanks Dave, both for the compliment and the recommendation but shouldn't you be getting on with some modelling, rather than hanging around on here? 😉

Your right! Got a busy day today and will be viewing that Spitfire doco this arvo that has finally hit the Aussie cinema screens this weekend. What started off as a quick movie catch up with one mate has grown into a party of about 10! Hopefully 90 minutes of beautiful Spitfire viewing wont distract me from my current GB commitments!! (I know, I’m kidding myself). 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2