1/144 TU-22KD Blinder

xvtonker

The Tupolev TU-22 ‘Blinder’ was the first supersonic bomber to enter production in the Soviet Union, and only 311 were produced. I’ve always had a fascination with this aircraft and have always wanted to build a model of it. Unfortunately all of the early 1/72 scale versions suffered from errors apart from the Novascale vacform kit, which was almost impossible to get hold of this side of the pond. Now my prayers have been answered with the release of the 1/144 scale TU-22KD from Mikro-Mir.

Mine arrived a couple of days ago and after giving the kit the once over I can say that it is a gem of a kit. The kit comprises of 158 pieces, which even includes parts for the transportation trolley for the AS-6 ‘Kingfish’ missile!! Also included are photoetched wing fences & fuselage aerials.

The mouldings are crisp with scale panel lines and looking at the instructions, the undercarriage detail has to be seen to be believed in this scale. There are decals for three different aircraft, Red 61 in Russian or Ukrainian markings and a camouflaged TU-22B of the Iraq air force during the Iran/Iraq war. Needless to say the decals are of top quality.

All in all this is another high quality kit from Mikro-Mir, all I need now is to find some extra modelling tokens to buy theTU-22U trainer variant….

XVTonker  :pilot:

TU-22 #1TU-22 #2TU-22 #3TU-22 #5TU-22 #4TU-22 #6TU-22 #9

TU-22 #7

• Like 3

Note that MM are wrong in depicting the Iraqi Tu-22 - they only operated the Tu-22B variant - with the earlier, slimmer radome.

Unless there are separate noses in the kit???

Although not my scale, it looks like a nice kit.

Ken

• Like 1

Thanks for the review and pictures :) would have been nice to have some sprue shots out of the bag too.

The release of this is a weird coincidence for me, as it's nowhere near my "usual" (1/72 WWII fighters) but it's such a unique and awesome looking aircraft I just happened to be researching it on a whim more or less as this kit was being rolled out.

Question for you, where did you buy yours? I have myself on the mailing list to be notified when it comes into stock with Hannants, but it seems that hasn't happened yet. Do we know the time frame for UK import/release?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Note that MM are wrong in depicting the Iraqi Tu-22 - they only operated the Tu-22B variant - with the earlier, slimmer radome.

According to Tom Cooper that’s not the case.  He has combat reports of missiles being fired from the Tu-22KD against Iranian targets.  No photos have surfaced.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:38 PM, Vlad said:

Thanks for the review and pictures :) would have been nice to have some sprue shots out of the bag too.

The release of this is a weird coincidence for me, as it's nowhere near my "usual" (1/72 WWII fighters) but it's such a unique and awesome looking aircraft I just happened to be researching it on a whim more or less as this kit was being rolled out.

Question for you, where did you buy yours? I have myself on the mailing list to be notified when it comes into stock with Hannants, but it seems that hasn't happened yet. Do we know the time frame for UK import/release?

I'll get some out of the bag sprue shots posted later today.

i purchased mine from Vladbush63 in Ebay.

XVTonker 

Edited by xvtonker
Revise EBay seller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vlad said:

Thanks for the picture. Is that flash at the wing leading and trailing edges? If it is that's a bit worrying on a brand new kit.

Still no sign of it at UK based retailers.

Hi Vlad,

I've just physically checked the pieces and there is no flash at all. The wing leading & trailing edges are really sharp with no moulding flash at all.

I can only think that it must be something with the low resolution of the picture.

XVTonker :pilot:

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this subject. I'm just in the process of building both variants released. I've only built one kit by Mikro-Mir - Blackburn Beverley and took ages to build. 

For a small scale kit, I'm disappointed at how the kit has to be constructed. No locating lugs, several parts to the fuselage where a full length is sufficient, too much complexity to the cockpit, wheel wells and engines. I don't like how you have to build the undercarriage legs before the airframe is built up. Far too many very small parts to add, some even small the my pointed nose tweezers can hold. Flash on all parts with also some parts that are molded as one piece look like have two halves stuck together and that aren't aligned up.

My kit were bought from Hannants in November, so unless this is just a bad batch I'm reluctant to carry on or buy any more Mikro-Mir kits.

If i do carry on, how do I contact Mikro-Mir? I've sent a message on Facebook regarding I have messed up the fuselage parts for the Tu-22UD kit but no reply.

Thanks

Dave

47 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

Just bumping this subject. I'm just in the process of building both variants released. I've only built one kit by Mikro-Mir - Blackburn Beverley and took ages to build. 

For a small scale kit, I'm disappointed at how the kit has to be constructed. No locating lugs, several parts to the fuselage where a full length is sufficient, too much complexity to the cockpit, wheel wells and engines. I don't like how you have to build the undercarriage legs before the airframe is built up. Far too many very small parts to add, some even small the my pointed nose tweezers can hold. Flash on all parts with also some parts that are molded as one piece look like have two halves stuck together and that aren't aligned up.

My kit were bought from Hannants in November, so unless this is just a bad batch I'm reluctant to carry on or buy any more Mikro-Mir kits.

If i do carry on, how do I contact Mikro-Mir? I've sent a message on Facebook regarding I have messed up the fuselage parts for the Tu-22UD kit but no reply.

Thanks

Dave

Oh yes, the kit was a pain to build in many ways but I'm still glad I did. Mind you, I probably wouldn't choose to build another, but if you put the work in you get a very good result out. The complexity of the landing gear assembly is what eventually confirmed my decision to go wheels up. But while the problems you list do exist, it is a limited run kit and the quality is not wildly outside what you can expect from such kits.

Looks really like an nice kit. If this Tu 22 Blinder only was available in 1/72.

I always liked the Blinder since reading an magazine with Dan Cooper in an F-5 craching into an Blinder that lost corelations and trying to fond their way home...

Cheers / André